I'm new... any tips that will save me hours of time and some headachs?

cyro

I'll be more than happy to give you some pointers.

1. Look through the pinned topics where all of the tutorials and guides for modding are avaliable.(in the Mods and Tools forum where you just made this post.)

2.Get Don't Starve on Steam, and get the Don't Starve Mod Tools on there as well(which you've probably done already.

3. Learn to look through code. Look in the data folder in your Don't Starve installation and you can learn a lot about modding the game.

4.If you want to add some art-sy stuff like animations, learn to use ktools and spriter.

5.Look up the lua manual(yes, there is a manal for the coding language.)

6.Learn how to find your log.txt for Don't Starve debugging, will save you a lot of "game crashed, what do" questions about your mod.

7.Make sure you aren't asking a redundant question that has already been answered on the forums. Try searching it up first, or just generic keywords (not "how to fix my custom character wesley" but "custom character help"

Hope you develop to become a good modder!

2.Get Don't Starve on Steam, and get the Don't Starve Mod Tools on there as well(which you've probably done already.

Minor adjustment: you can also download this version [here] EDIT: Just some bugfixes, but neat

It's by simplex, a skilled forum member you will stumble across here and there, usually when he's making modding far easier. Check out his utile mods and github things for tools and such!

Archived