Willow needs to be buffed or have some mechanic to her that's an upgrade from her current "ban immediately and/or kill her on sight and steal the lighter" scrappy status in DST.

It's bad when players are banned on sight for choosing to play as her.

Why is she banned on sight? Is it because torches are oh so very hard to make?

Yes, actually. Compared to zero effort, torches are very difficult for the troll who doesn't care about actually playing the game.

Edit: I'm not sure changing Willow will solve the problem. Imagine a DST with no Willows. It would have been torches instead of firelighters causing the same problems. Easy destructive abilities is the problem, but I don't think there's an easy solution.

Yes, actually. Compared to zero effort, torches are very difficult for the troll who doesn't care about actually playing the game.

Well then, that sounds like more like a phyrric problem than anything else. If your lighter is a liability, then limit your love for the luminous lambent and lay it on the land. Unfortunately, DST pvp is dog-eat-dog and having it makes you extra tasty.

Why is she banned on sight?

I think of it this way. When someone enters a game, if they're planning to grief, they have virtually no reason to not pick Willow. She can run right from the start, even if she joins at night, any sanity loss is just a bonus, and she doesn't have to pause to pick grass or twigs to fuel her burning spree. Additionally, she has a tremendous edge over others if PvP is enabled, as she can just clobber them with the lighter and let the burn damage (50, piercing armor!) do the work.

So if someone enters my game as Willow, they are immediately under suspicion. On the dedicated server I run, I exile them immediately, but allow people to vote them onto the island if they can convince the others that they're not a griefer.

But regarding the thread, I don't think a buff is what she needs; she's already pretty much THE character for PvP. What she needs is a rework so she's not the ideal griefing character, and ideally not the only option in PvP.

I think of it this way. When someone enters a game, if they're planning to grief, they have virtually no reason to not pick Willow. She can run right from the start, even if she joins at night, any sanity loss is just a bonus, and she doesn't have to pause to pick grass or twigs to fuel her burning spree. Additionally, she has a tremendous edge over others if PvP is enabled, as she can just clobber them with the lighter and let the burn damage (50, piercing armor!) do the work.

So if someone enters my game as Willow, they are immediately under suspicion. On the dedicated server I run, I exile them immediately, but allow people to vote them onto the island if they can convince the others that they're not a griefer.

But regarding the thread, I don't think a buff is what she needs; she's already pretty much THE character for PvP. What she needs is a rework so she's not the ideal griefing character, and ideally not the only option in PvP.

Man I spent way too much time on EVE-O to see a problem with any of this. If I really wanted to grief; I'd pick anyone else and just use torches to make everyone miserable.

It sounds like there just needs to be a mod that configures the damage of fire, or a mod that acts as an extinguisher. So really, fire needs a nerf, not Willow.

Wouldn't it be super easy to make a mod that nerfs fire's spread, duration, dps, or to add a means of extinguishing?

Wouldn't it be super easy to make a mod that nerfs fire's spread, duration, dps, or to add a means of extinguishing?

Possible, yes, easy, no. Fire is actually pretty complicated. But I think fire is actually in a good place in terms of PvE (except for players being lit on fire), so nerfing it just for players is a bit trickier, but I think that's what needs to be done.

Edit: Not sure that's sufficient to end the Reign of Willow, though.

Honestly, on almost every server I've played on (mind you, these were non-PVP servers) most of the players, myself included, were using Willow.

She's by far my favorite character beacause of her ability to regain sanity by fire and carry around that sweet lighter all the time so I'm never afraid of dying in the dark.

I disagree with a buff for Willow.  People can easily ban others.  People can say "no Willow" and so on as well.  If it continues to be a problem- just play with friends.   I usually play with friends these days due to a majority of people not working together.  Usually people join my server and don't want to use teamwork. They eat the food but dont want to help. Or they make a different camp and only come to the main camp if they need help. Anyway... 

I disagree with a buff for Willow.  People can easily ban others.  People can say "no Willow" and so on as well.  If it continues to be a problem- just play with friends.   I usually play with friends these days due to a majority of people not working together.  Usually people join my server and don't want to use teamwork. They eat the food but dont want to help. Or they make a different camp and only come to the main camp if they need help. Anyway... 

It upsets me whenever I see people use the "just play with friends" cop-out, and it's a cop-out plain and simple.  If a game advertises public multi-player and public multi-player is unplayable because of poor design, that's on the game creators, not the players.

Not really a cop out, when its the truth.

Let's say Willow does get dumbed down.  Trolls will find some other way to wreck games. Torches as one example.  People will come here saying to ban torches then I bet.

Anyway...

Multiplayer games attract the trolls. Ban them and move on.   Willow shouldn't be dumbed down just to stop a few trolls.  You know the risks of playing with randoms. ALSO..don't say its unplayable when it really isn't.  I've played many games with randoms in the past, never experienced people abusing Willow. 

There's a mod called Simple Protection that hs the option of disallowing the burning of grass and saplings altogether as well as disabling fire spread (no more mass burnt forest from one torch/lighter ignition). I've played on a couple of server with it and it is AMAZING. While it makes the game a tad too safe if a group of people (with no burning trolls) are playing together, it is a GODSNED for ongoing servers where people tend to join and either grief and burn everything they see right off the bat or (sorry, this is a sad truth) Willow players joining in the middle of winter and burning anything and everything they see (including grass tufts/saplings/berry bushes) just to prevent freezing so they can live another 20 seconds.

I've told people not to do such things, and they exclaim "BUT I'M FREEZING!!111!!" or "I NEED THE SANITY!!!!"

This is me after their responses:

".................................."

I still don't understand why... why are ppl griefing other players? if they play ds at all they know there is more than enough grief as it is... 

and why willow? she is the second best character IMO and could be the early groups godsend in emergencies with no torch resources handy... or just early conservation of resources... I get that the sanity=fire can hurt the whole of the group but she doesn't need to be blocked... 

but to the point as it was stated, if they dumb her down: bastards will be bastards and still ruin your base if that's the goal

I don't think that willow is the issue but that Hosts need a way of seeing requests to join and deciding based on information such as longest number of days survived, number of deaths, top two most common deaths (you can see if they die to players or to the same dumb thing like bees), and player rating

IF someone should join regardless of the character they choose to be... Taking it a step further it would be nice if the HOST had the option of discussing the choice with the person prior to being made and the person joining... lets say I wanna join Sakirious' game... Sakirious can ask me if I understand that playing as Wolfgang means I have to bring home the bacon literately meaning I have to be willing to and be good at hunting or if I choose him I can not join... or if I choose Willow that I understand that I have to be super aware of my sanity and that if I fail to do so that I will be kicked out, and this means not burning things just for a sanity boost.

(I would like to say I don't pc game generally I have no understanding how coding or what have you work, I don't know that this is possible or easy or even ideal... I have never hosted a game, don't even know exactly what or how that works, but if I was a host I would expect someone even a stranger to have manners and like vamp rules have to be invited in prior to joining my game ... the rules of my house are simple, but strong)

wow I think I just realized myself how big a nerd I am....

2 twigs and grass is not hard to come by.  

Willow makes it very slightly easier, but anybody w/ a mind to grief is going to do just that.  Heck, I killed a friend last night as a ghost just by haunting trees as they chopped wood, waking up a treeguard, and then haunting him to set him on fire and then haunting beehives to send killer bees after them while they ran away from the burning treeguard.  Where there's a will, no?

What we need are better tools to deal w/ griefers on a non-PvP server (I don't really care about griefing on PvP servers, that's what those servers are for), not do away w/ Willow's lighter.

As for her being the top dog in PvP (which she definitely is atm), perhaps some buffs are in order to some of the other characters, or simply lowering fire damage to players on a PvP-enabled server.

Willow might be an easy one to grief with but she's by far not the only one. I use both of Rez's character mods and I had a Maxwell come in and hammer down the camp in my friend's server, and a Webber torched one of mine after leaving Spider Eggs on the Spawn Portal. If people are set on ruining your day, they'll even do it as Wes if that's the only option.

Archived