Snow Chester and Shadow Chester - DST

So I because of a previously mentioned issue... hounds, lightning... I have a surplus of Blue Gems... now Back in ROG, or Vanilla, you could give Chester a blue gem on every storage slot he has an during a full moon, he becomes a Snow Chester that acts as a mobile fridge or nightmarefuel to get Shadow Chester with additional 3 extra storage slots... now I tried to make a Snow Chester.... and... nothing T_T

Is this really the case for DST or is it just me?

Snow and shadow chester are not in Vanilla.
Actually, they are in vanilla, but they were added during RoG's development, if I remember correctly.

But in DST, the transformation is disabled-- I think it wasn't seen as high priority and has gotten a little buried now, like the dynamic music. The shadow chester transformation, in particular, is a bit of a technical challenge, I think. At least I wasn't able to get it working when I tried. 

Actually, they are in vanilla, but they were added during RoG's development, if I remember correctly.

But in DST, the transformation is disabled-- I think it wasn't seen as high priority and has gotten a little buried now, like the dynamic music. The shadow chester transformation, in particular, is a bit of a technical challenge, I think. At least I wasn't able to get it working when I tried. 

Is this due to the custom chest settings thing you mentioned here? or something different?

Honestly I'm not too comfortable with the netcode yet and this is out of my area anyway.

@tetrified, It was crashing because the number of inventory slots is read-only. I'm guessing to get it implemented properly, it'd have to pull the items out of chester, delete his container component and widget, then set up the shadow chester container and widget, and re-add the items. But then there's also the problem of the container widget setup referring to the prefab name instead of letting you completely override it with the argument to WidgetSetup... There is an entry for shadow chester, but it will try to do it for chester again instead, because the prefab name doesn't change on transformation. 

Also, just looking at the code now, apparently shadow chester causes food to spoil as quickly as if it were on the ground. Never seen that documented anywhere o_O

@tetrified, It was crashing because the number of inventory slots is read-only. I'm guessing to get it implemented properly, it'd have to pull the items out of chester, delete his container component and widget, then set up the shadow chester container and widget, and re-add the items. But then there's also the problem of the container widget setup referring to the prefab name instead of letting you completely override it with the argument to WidgetSetup... There is an entry for shadow chester, but it will try to do it for chester again instead, because the prefab name doesn't change on transformation. 

Also, just looking at the code now, apparently shadow chester causes food to spoil as quickly as if it were on the ground. Never seen that documented anywhere o_O

If I'm reading this right, you don't have to re-add the items, because we just want to remove the nightmare fuel, right?

Also holy cow, how has nobody documented that?

@tetrified, Well, I might be wrong, but I think you can actually have extra fuel in there that won't get consumed (e.g. 1 in every slot, except one of the slots is a stack of 40-- that would leave you with one stack of 39, I think). It uses this line:

container:ConsumeByName("nightmarefuel", container:GetNumSlots())

So I think that just consumes 9 nightmare fuel, but you could actually have more.

Ahh, the music... I missed them... players new to the game sure are missing the thrill of killing a boss with the EFS or EFS of Winter Playing :3

Here's me hoping for the music coming back soon... and Maxwell's freedom... and the "puppet's" reactions to him... and the new characters... Charlie... and... and... stuff...

:happypigs::juggling::yaypigs:

1 container:ConsumeByName("nightmarefuel", container:GetNumSlots())

Doesn't this line say that all nightmare fuel will be consumed?

But it also didn't mention how much nightmare fuel is consumed per inventory slot...

So, "ConsumeByName" will consume any item with the name "nightmarefuel"

Or something...

:?:

Doesn't this line say that all nightmare fuel will be consumed?

But it also didn't mention how much nightmare fuel is consumed per inventory slot...

So, "ConsumeByName" will consume any item with the name "nightmarefuel"

Or something...

container:ConsumeByName("nightmarefuel", container:GetNumSlots())
container:GetNumSlots() should return 9, so it would only consume nine

the actual code for container:ConsumeByName:
function Container:ConsumeByName(item, amount)        local total_num_found = 0        local function tryconsume(v)		local num_found = 0        if v and v.prefab == item then            local num_left_to_find = amount - total_num_found                        if v.components.stackable then                if v.components.stackable.stacksize > num_left_to_find then                    v.components.stackable:SetStackSize(v.components.stackable.stacksize - num_left_to_find)                    num_found = amount                else                    num_found = num_found + v.components.stackable.stacksize                    self:RemoveItem(v, true):Remove()                end            else                num_found = num_found + 1                self:RemoveItem(v):Remove()            end        end        return num_found    end        for k,v in pairs(self.slots) do        total_num_found = total_num_found + tryconsume(v)                if total_num_found >= amount then            break        end    endend

@rezecib,

So new developments:

AFAIK SnowChester works just fine

Shadow chester is having a little bit of an issue, however; when I initialize chester with 12 slots he works fine but when I try to get him to be created at a full moon, I get this issue

[string "scripts/prefabs/container_classified.lua"]:10: wrong number of arguments to 'insert'

any ideas?

local function MorphChester(inst)    if not TheWorld.state.isnight or not TheWorld.state.isfullmoon or inst.ChesterState ~= "NORMAL" then        return    end    local container = inst.components.container    local canShadow, canSnow = inst:CanMorph()    if canShadow then        container:ConsumeByName("nightmarefuel", container:GetNumSlots())        MorphShadowChester(inst, true)    elseif canSnow then        container:ConsumeByName("bluegem", container:GetNumSlots())        MorphSnowChester(inst, true)    endend

I have a question: In line 124, it just says return... but what should it return? false? another variable?

if not TheWorld.state.isnight or not TheWorld.state.isfullmoon or inst.ChesterState ~= "NORMAL" then        return    end

This function doesn't actually return anything, it just calls other functions.

I suppose you could say "return false" but it wouldn't matter.

for example where it gets called on 152:

MorphChester(inst)

if it returned false, it would be like saying

false

in the middle of your code

I mean you can do it, but there's no reason to

The call is the main giveaway, the other giveaway is that there's no return true anywhere

So at the risk of further making myself sound more like an idiot...

is there a legit way to get either special Chesters?

or do I have to reengineer this to make it happen?

:willowilson:

Also, will it have a negative effect during multiplayer? (when I let other people in?)

Snow Chester's kinda a must have accessory for me during long winter explorations...

So at the risk of further making myself sound more like an idiot...

is there a legit way to get either special Chesters?

or do I have to reengineer this to make it happen?

:willowilson:

Also, will it have a negative effect during multiplayer? (when I let other people in?)

Snow Chester's kinda a must have accessory for me during long winter explorations...

Totally got snow chester working perfectly, but since apparently this is happening:

Chester morphing will be back very soon in our next patch. =)

There's literally no point in making a mod for it

Shadow chester is a little trickier, due to what I mentioned in the post a lil while back asking rez about it.

Archived