How much of DS and ROG are we going to get in DST?

Are we going to get caves/ruins?  Are we going to get RoG?  Will RoG be toggleable?  Will RoG content require RoG from all players?

I'm mostly curious about what content will become supported.  RoG content  seems the most possible and I'm definately excited about it, but has klei said anything about caves potentially being carried over?  I can imagine caves being alot harder to implement since the caves, ruins, and overworld all running at the same time on the server might be a bit much on the engine.

But I'd love to hear Klei's input on it, and I'm really excited about the "Through the ages" update.

Are we going to get caves/ruins?
We will get something like cave/ruins. It may not function exactly the same, but it should give us access to all of the content of it.

Are we going to get RoG?  Will RoG be toggleable?  Will RoG content require RoG from all players?
They've said the idea is to have RoG be enabled by default, and have a world gen preset that makes it like vanilla. Everyone will be able to play and join RoG servers regardless of whether they have RoG, but they'll only be able to pick Wigfrid/Webber if they have RoG (they can still play with other people who picked Wigfrid/Webber, though). The details of how this works may change, though.

We will get something like cave/ruins. It may not function exactly the same, but it should give us access to all of the content of it.

They've said the idea is to have RoG be enabled by default, and have a world gen preset that makes it like vanilla. Everyone will be able to play and join RoG servers regardless of whether they have RoG, but they'll only be able to pick Wigfrid/Webber if they have RoG (they can still play with other people who picked Wigfrid/Webber, though). The details of how this works may change, though.

That's cool to hear, do you happen to know where they said it?  I'd like to read it as well.

Thanks for the message

@Zackreaver, Looks like Seth talked about it here:

Exactly :-) -- as for RoG, our current plan is to fold the expansion into the base experience of Don't Starve Together and provide a world customization preset that mimics vanilla Don't Starve as closely as possible. RoG characters in DST will only be available to folks who own RoG.

I imagine that eventually all Don't Starve exclusive content will be added to Don't Starve Together and vice versa as DST was originally intended to just be part of Don't Starve.

But the devs might be so tired of working on Don't Starve that they just don't wanna put in the effort, and I can't say I'd blame them. I'd be upset with them, but I wouldn't blame them.

I think the cave and ruins should be coded the same way some rpgs/rts do, like heroes of the storm or warcraft 3, where a large map contains mini segments;Caves and ruins are in the same map, but far away enough so players can go through the barrier.

Some have said the perma night coding will be the same as how devs handled two worlds maps.However, nightmares will be kinda hard to restrict-as to what their boundary of movement will be.

Archived