Reviving Friends is too difficult at the beginning

My buddy and I started playing and I died at day 6 when the hounds came.  There aren't any spiders around for a LONG way, and no easy way to get meat, either.   Maybe that's just a bad spawn area, but I've been dead for 10 days now while my buddy builds up enough to create new camps and discover a forest with spiders.

It's really, really, not at all fun to sit at camp for days on end while everyone else is just trying to get you back to life and needs a lot of time to do so because it's at the beginning of the game.   Double that if you're hosting the server because you can't log out and go do something else.

So my feedback would be to allow the Jury-Rigged Portal to revive you for free within the first 25 days.  Maybe it would be different if I had 5 other friends, but with just one other friend, the game isn't fun for him either because I'm just sitting at camp waiting -- so we're not even playing Don't Starve Together -- he's playing Don't Starve -- and I'm browsing the internet.

Endless mode, the portal revives for the entire game.

Otherwise, honestly, this game isn't meant to be super easy. Maybe you just had bad luck and couldn't find a spider, but I've had no problems with this. Your friend could have instead just hunted for spiders instead of building a camp. They don't only spawn in forests. And if you follow him, a haunted spider 100% drops a gland. You can do a lot more as a ghost than just sit around.

Most games I've played, random strangers can revive one person within a few days. It gets chaotic when people start dying more often, but one is not usually a problem.

You shouldn't have died at Day 6. In a normal game of Don't Starve, dying at Day 6 would instantly end the world (And rightfully so) because you have no means of revival. Dying that early deserves the punishment of not being able to revive for a while.

Huh? I was reading the Wikia article on the Telltale Heart earlier today, and people in the comments section were saying it's too easy to revive characters. Make up your mind, people!

Honestly, I'd say you just had some bad luck. In one game I went eight days without finding a single gold nugget, so sometimes the Random Number God just isn't in your favor. Next time, I would search in swamps for spiders. The tentacles are always killing spiders so the spider drops tend to pile up.

Reviving is too hard at the start, too easy later on. This will most likely be balanced a bit more in the future, and the "Through the ages" DLC seems geared towards harder late stages of the game.

Not reviving at the start would not be so bad if the sanity drain wasn't so lame.

You shouldn't have died at Day 6. In a normal game of Don't Starve, dying at Day 6 would instantly end the world (And rightfully so) because you have no means of revival. Dying that early deserves the punishment of not being able to revive for a while.

I got struck by lightning and burned to death on Day 8. This game is rough.

Thankfully I already had 75% of the map explored so I just beelined it to the nearest touchstone.

If you're out of Touchstones by Day 6, then you've got a problem.

I got struck by lightning and burned to death on Day 8. This game is rough.

Thankfully I already had 75% of the map explored so I just beelined it to the nearest touchstone.

Bad luck happens, though yours got balanced out by good luck.

But that doesn't change the fact that you'd be starting the game all over in single player. If it's too easy to revive people, then DST is too easy. In single player, the major fear is losing your game forever. I'd like to see most of the modes and dedicated servers have that constant fear.

It's really, really, not at all fun to sit at camp for days on end while everyone else is just trying to get you back to life and needs a lot of time to do so because it's at the beginning of the game.   Double that if you're hosting the server because you can't log out and go do something else.
 Klei really pulled out all stops to give ghosts things to do. If you're just sitting at camp, you're wasting a great opportunity to get lots of stuff done with virtually no risk.

I updated the wiki to list every possible haunt effect.

How can it be hard at early to revive a player ?

I'll give you the secret, get a rabbit trap, use it to catch spider (no armor, no weapon needed), enjoy your free revival item (and at early you're full on everything, so no worries)

For me reviving players is really easy.

Cmon guys. I play this game only about a week and already can survive winter, making ressurection easier in survival is dumb. Just DONT die on day 6, omg, go find pig village, swamp with tentacles, merms or else, you can do it easily until hounds come. There are also many ways to revive, touchstone, heart, amulet, statue, I think it's enough.

What I see in a lot of threads like this is replies from hardcores who've played the single player game to death and who probably find zero challenge in the game at this point saying things like:

"I've had no problem with this" 

...which makes me wonder if they're even playing this game co-op, or just playing single player mode on a server with others?

For example in this case, the early death was from hounds, which I fully get as a noob myself, because we had to turn the hounds OFF because of getting slaughtered by 8 of them showing up after a few days over and over (over and over several restarts) and it just not being remotely fun to die like that.  In our best our best "defense" we may have killed 2 of 8 before dying.

And like someone said, the server does have a TON of options, so whoever is hosting (me for our duo) can tweak quite a few things as desired.  We've toned down a few things so we can get more used to the game since we never really played it much at all in the single player version.

In particular we need to get used to the combat and mob behaviors, and get used to how quickly the wooden armor gets vaporized since a lot of our deaths seem to occur when things seem to be going well then all of a sudden you're dead and it's probably because your armor fell apart.

What I see in a lot of threads like this is replies from hardcores who've played the single player game to death and who probably find zero challenge in the game at this point saying things like:

"I've had no problem with this" 

...which makes me wonder if they're even playing this game co-op, or just playing single player mode on a server with others?

For example in this case, the early death was from hounds, which I fully get as a noob myself, because we had to turn the hounds OFF because of getting slaughtered by 8 of them showing up after a few days over and over (over and over several restarts) and it just not being remotely fun to die like that.  In our best our best "defense" we may have killed 2 of 8 before dying.

And like someone said, the server does have a TON of options, so whoever is hosting (me for our duo) can tweak quite a few things as desired.  We've toned down a few things so we can get more used to the game since we never really played it much at all in the single player version.

In particular we need to get used to the combat and mob behaviors, and get used to how quickly the wooden armor gets vaporized since a lot of our deaths seem to occur when things seem to be going well then all of a sudden you're dead and it's probably because your armor fell apart.

It's not that the game should be easy only for the very experienced, but it's also not that the game should be easy for the newcomers. "I've had no problem with this" does not mean I've never had problems, but that I learned and you should learn too. I'm not saying everyone should be able to solo a Deerclops with ease. But dying day 6 is not a good reason to make the game easier, it's a reason for you to learn how to survive better.

For your hound problem, you may want to bug report this. You shouldn't be getting more than 1 or 2 hounds (per person) in the first few attacks. However, I have had 6+ hounds attack me early on when other people are nearby and the dogs all got distracted by me eventually.

Wood armor is pretty good. If you don't use it as a tank-only tactic, but also add in kiting to avoid attacks, it lasts a good while. But as Rez said, hound waves aren't really meant to be attacked head-on.

Lol what you need to do then, OP, is find an area with beefalo, or a couple of pigs and when the hounds come, use the neutral mobs to your advantage. Kite the hounds through the beefalo and let the beefalo take care of them. Same goes for the pigs. The same can be done with spiders, but it's harder because the spiders are also hostile to players.

If you get lucky and get a neutral treegaurd walking around, then you will have no problems at all. You honestly just need to learn the game more and ALWAYS try to have a spear + log armor by the time hounds attack. It makes a world of difference.

First, thanks for the replies -- even the "L2P, nub!" ones.

There's a few things you told me that I didn't know:

• there are things you can do as a ghost that I didn't know about.
  • I was REALLY unlucky with our initial spawn area -- there just weren't ANY spiders for a LONG way -- not touchstones either

Having played for even longer, here are some additional thoughts:

• I think those of you who have played A LOT have fallen out of touch with how hard the game is before you know everything.
  • I agree with the poster who said, "it's too hard to revive in the beginning and too easy later on"
  • Too many hounds (per person) early on.  4 hounds per person?  At day 8?  Really?

In all, I think I'd amend my initial suggestion to say, "the portal should rez you for free in the first 10 days".  25 is excessive

Hmmm, I understand that people find the game difficult on the beginning, but DST in particular IS NOT. I haven't played single player one at all, started only from COOP one, and I started it, emmm 15-th of december as I remember, and I already can tell, that it is nos so hard game, it took me about 5-6 normal games and dozen of hours on Dont Starve wiki to figure out how not to die on 9-th day. Yes my longest game is not so cool, about 50 days, but after all, I can survive long enough and I usually die from accidents, forgot to light the fire at night, gone too far from camp on winter, looked to much on map in swamp, forgot about foolmoon etc. Not from starving itself or from hound attack. I know that RoG DLC has much more chances to die, from hot, from dozen giants, caverns, food spoils in crockpot etc etc etc. So If you think that game is hard at the moment, you should learn to play faster, read about the game more, watch more tips on youtube, or you just should not wait new features in game cuz... you will not bear it...  :-) Peace. :-)))

Archived