are woodie and maxwell not avaible in dont starve together?

Woodie's probably going to be the last character due to the shear amount of work needed to be done for his werebeaveress.

I think the only big problem is that woody's Werebeever form has night vision, which would either let the player see players get killed by night or protect players in the dark. I wonder what devs will cook up...

I think the only big problem is that woody's Werebeever form has night vision, which would either let the player see players get killed by night or protect players in the dark. I wonder what devs will cook up...

It is not the only big problem, as being able to destroy anything like science machines is much bigger. My solution for the Werebeaver vision was that it would flicker and blink right before Charlie struck, like a cheesy horror movie jumpscare. Though, if Charlie does become a playable character they might just show her attack people.

Maxwell is my favorite character, so I look forward to when they add him. 

I know, I love playing as Maxwell. No insanity, cool toys, and a fun character. I am betting we have to wait for another Klei ARG before they will give us Maxwell.

The main technical challenges for Woodie, specifically:
  • Beaverness is a component like health/sanity/hunger, and requires extensive networking and (if we are to follow the same model as health/sanity/hunger) integration with player_classified. There isn't a nice way to mod this, and there is no precedent for custom mod networking-- although I hear Peter's working on a game mode mod to demo them.
  • The Beaver interacts with things in a weird way that involves a new action. Mod support for actions has improved since then, so I think I could probably get this working, but it wasn't possible when I first tried.
  • The way night vision was handled in single-player was to light up the whole world in beaver mode. Obviously this doesn't work, and the only workaround currently possible for modders is to have the beaver itself emit light. This is pretty unsatisfactory, because night vision shouldn't be producing light usable by other players. In order to fix this, Klei needs to implement some form of player-specific lighting. When I looked at the RoG code for moggles, it looks like that sort of approach might work, but even that involved a pretty extensive rewrite of certain systems.

Archived