[Tutorial] Using Extended Sample Character Template

Dragon Wolf Leo

I'm having a problem, when I try to compile the file it doesn't seem to work. All anim files are missing, and the few zip files that the tutorial said to delete aren't returning.

I'm afraid I cannot provide the error as the Prompt doesn't stay when it's finished.

I'm having a problem, when I try to compile the file it doesn't seem to work. All anim files are missing, and the few zip files that the tutorial said to delete aren't returning.

I'm afraid I cannot provide the error as the Prompt doesn't stay when it's finished.

I'm useing the SCML.exe to do animations so I no longer need help unless you have a faster way of doing it

uTVrf91.png

I hope to finish this soon!

Thank you for an excellent guide and video.

I'll try to create a character for DST RoG. It's important not to forget to rename ghost-files using BuildRenamer. DST needs a little bit more steps than DS.

I faced with the problem of auto compilation. My problem has been solved by this method:

There's an alternative way to compile by using scml.exe in the mod_tools folder directly. Start you Command Prompt, and type the path of scml.exe, the path to your .scml file, and the path to your mod folder.

With using of this advice:

You can also drag the files into the command prompt and separate them with spaces.

Good luck with modding!

OKAY, so long story short, a friend of mine loves this game and decided to make a character mod. Well it didn't work out for him and so I tried this tutorial STEP BY STEP MAKING SURE I DIDN'T MISS ANYTHING. ( I did this for the DST download.) But anyways, everytime I launch don't starve the command box comes up. It scans everything like it should. And I get the notification that only the mods I had before were added. So everytime I go into the Mods tab in game....It tells me that my mod crashed from the start, when I go to enable it and apply. It shows the errors for a split second and goes to home screen, then freezes......Has anyone else had this problem and has a way to fix it???? 

OKAY, so long story short, a friend of mine loves this game and decided to make a character mod. Well it didn't work out for him and so I tried this tutorial STEP BY STEP MAKING SURE I DIDN'T MISS ANYTHING. ( I did this for the DST download.) But anyways, everytime I launch don't starve the command box comes up. It scans everything like it should. And I get the notification that only the mods I had before were added. So everytime I go into the Mods tab in game....It tells me that my mod crashed from the start, when I go to enable it and apply. It shows the errors for a split second and goes to home screen, then freezes......Has anyone else had this problem and has a way to fix it???? 

Hey hey.

I had this problem due to the fact that archives (of character and his ghost) in the anim folder wasn't created by autocompiler. This error occurs due to the fact that you haven't archives in the anim.

After removing files from the folder "anim" compile by the cmd, not autocompiler. Look at my previous post.

Same problem, do not know how to fix....

Hey hey.

I had this problem due to the fact that archives (of character and his ghost) in the anim folder wasn't created by autocompiler. This error occurs due to the fact that you haven't archives in the anim.

After removing files from the folder "anim" compile by the cmd, not autocompiler. Look at my previous post.

I did that. It created the characters archives. But the ghost isn't creating it...I'm not sure what's wrong?

I did that. It created the characters archives. But the ghost isn't creating it...I'm not sure what's wrong?

You must go to CMD, put to CMD the link to scml.exe to it, press space (necessarily), put to CMD the link to your ghost scml file like  "...\exported\ghost_name_build\ghost_name_build.scml", again press space, and finally put to CMD the link to your mod folder (the same that for the character archive).

As you can see, the only difference from the compilation of the character - the second link. Carefully check that there are spaces between the links.

Hi everyone! I  have been having a little trouble with exporting my character's scml file through the CMD I dragged and dropped the files and made sure to put spaces, but it keeps failing, here is what it does. 0973ea3fbb3ac7e3f3a57c7889307d16.png

any help making sense of this would be greatly appreciated.

@Dleowolf

Ok! I figured out the problem! and I think it might be a problem with the 1.1.3 upload! the clear version of hairpigtails-0 was at a depth of 8bit instead of 32, I set it to 32bit and it autocompiled just fine! you might want to go and check it to see if it was like that for everyone having this problem, I don't think I messed with that file or changed it in anyway before hand. 

It wont compile no matter what i trie, auto compiler moves super fast, when i remove zip files game crashes and won load the mod. and when i trie using the command line it says cant open the smcl file

Hey im new to modding and can anyone help me with adding custom perks to my character? I want more then the basic health or sanity boost, Like im trying to add a sanityboostif the person is holding a gold nugget, how can i achieve this?

Hey guys, I just more or less started, and the autocompiler did not work for me at first, but after some reading about, I found out how to compile the anims. Basically the autocompiler is not autocompiling, so you need to manualcompile. Luckily for you all, I wrote a real simple .bat for your all to automanualcompile.

Basic instructions:

1. Download attachment
  2. Download the Don't Starve Modding Tools
  3. Open up your preferred text editor, I recommend notepad++
  4. Hit Ctrl+F, then find and replace <!!character!!> with your character's internal name
  5. Rename the extension of the file from .txt to .bat
  6. Run the bat file
  7. ???
  8. Animations compiled.

How is it an autocompiler if it does not autocompile.txt

This is an excellent tutorial and I really appreciate the time you put into explaining everything. I'm making a custom character and was having a heck of a time getting all the sprites to line up. This is my first experience with modding.

I just have two questions:

1. Do you mind if other people use your textures from your character in their own? Mainly, the legs, hands, and arms but have been recolored. If it's okay, how would you want credit linked in the mod desc?

2. Would it be too much to ask you to label your faces tex as far as what each face is for? I'm making a full custom face and it's difficult trying to figure out what's going on exactly in that sprite when they're all together. I can trial and error but I wasn't sure what instances all the faces would be used in even.

I just have two questions:

1. Do you mind if other people use your textures from your character in their own? Mainly, the legs, hands, and arms but have been recolored. If it's okay, how would you want credit linked in the mod desc?

2. Would it be too much to ask you to label your faces tex as far as what each face is for? I'm making a full custom face and it's difficult trying to figure out what's going on exactly in that sprite when they're all together. I can trial and error but I wasn't sure what instances all the faces would be used in even.

A good way to tell is to put a cigerette burn ( a dot) on one of the faces while testing. It's what i used to do when I had that problem. Some of the latter faces are hard to tell what they are, but the first few are teh default and blink animations, then side profile, i believe speech is next, and then a bunch of on hit faces,

But trial and errors, (and a small dot) are going to be your best friends on this one. 

• Like 1

A good way to tell is to put a cigerette burn ( a dot) on one of the faces while testing. It's what i used to do when I had that problem. Some of the latter faces are hard to tell what they are, but the first few are teh default and blink animations, then side profile, i believe speech is next, and then a bunch of on hit faces,

But trial and errors, (and a small dot) are going to be your best friends on this one. 

That's a fantastic idea, thank you for the tip! :D

I have another stupid issue I hope someone can help me with. I have modified the tail to just a singular curvy tail and when I view the model in spriter his tail is in place where it's supposed to be but when I load him in the game, the position is off. So, I thought well perhaps I need to add his tail to his torso instead and make it one piece and just adjust the size of the file and see what happens. Once again I positioned the torso correctly in spriter and when loaded into the game it gets completely reset.

Untitled-1.jpg

For example, in the above picture, the bottom picture shows what happens to the above pose in spriter once it's imported into the game. Help! lol

Edit: I realized the bottom left picture is supposed to go with the top right picture, woops.

Edited by RomanticRedGeek

how would i auto compile on a mac when mod tools is for pc? any help is welcomed

Same question - even with Mod Tools released for mac, it won't auto-compile and there's no compiler that I can find in the folder.

Edited by weeag

theres a modtools release for mac? does someone have the link? I cant find it.

Edit: I downloaded the version for pc on my laptop which gave me NEW probs. when running the autocompiler i get an error that says

Import error: No module named argparse.

ERROR: Command failed!

Edited by Talintid

@Talintid, I don't have a mac to check, but the mod tools are on git hub, and you may have to compile it yourself. I'm next to certain there's a post(I imagine it's stickied somewhere) explaining how to do that.

@RomanticRedGeek,

Sprite positions for characters using the template don't affect their positions in-game.  All the game does it extract the images from your spriter project and inject them into the already existing player animations.  You could possibly do what you want to do, but it will be fairly difficult.

theres a modtools release for mac? does someone have the link? I cant find it.

Edit: I downloaded the version for pc on my laptop which gave me NEW probs. when running the autocompiler i get an error that says

Import error: No module named argparse.

ERROR: Command failed!

The Mod Tools are in Steam. Go to Library -> Tools and scroll to Don't Starve Mod Tools. Double-click to install.

Heya, first time modding here. I just wanted to ask if there's a way to figure out which part of the character is which without having to compile everything over n over and check in-game (especially since I have to do it manually because my autocompiler.exe ignores my .scml file)... & I mean the parts which are not shown in the .scml file. I tend to do a lot of saving in Photoshop then viewing on Spriter, but I'm stuck with two parts of the upper arm, which I can't really view the placement of it on Spriter. /: There's also a part that's just a circle : arm_upper-4. My upper arm is not going to be a sleeve, so I'm not sure how to edit that & then view it... Any tips? Thanks in advance. (: