Vote to Reset Dedicated Server

Dedicated servers are awesome, you can play without the constraints of playing only when the host is playing.

The fact is though, a server running full time quickly gets griefed, stripped of resources and becomes completely unplayable. How many times have you logged into a dedicated server, just to wander through burnt down forests looking for a single flint or meal until your quick and untimely death.

There needs to be a way for players to activate a vote that allows the server to reset the world. Maybe unanimous, maybe majority, maybe with a veto counter vote. What do you think?

@Gordelox, While I definitely agree the problem exists, having a vote to reset it doesn't seem like a good idea to me. For example, let's say the majority of the players who spend a lot of time on the server do so during East Coast daytime. If there's only a couple of people on late at night, and all they see is a burnt forest, they could vote and erase all the progress of the majority of players who play there without those players having any say.

As for how to address the problem otherwise... There is a console command right now for resetting the world. I think the idea is for each dedicated server to have one more more admins, so those players could reset the world. Ideally the console command will become better exposed in the UI for the game later. 

@Gordelox, While I definitely agree the problem exists, having a vote to reset it doesn't seem like a good idea to me. For example, let's say the majority of the players who spend a lot of time on the server do so during East Coast daytime. If there's only a couple of people on late at night, and all they see is a burnt forest, they could vote and erase all the progress of the majority of players who play there without those players having any say.

As for how to address the problem otherwise... There is a console command right now for resetting the world. I think the idea is for each dedicated server to have one more more admins, so those players could reset the world. Ideally the console command will become better exposed in the UI for the game later. 

Yeah, I had thought of that myself. I just can't think of any solution that would work in all cases. Man, I do not envy the devs, lol. There are so many issues with no black and white solutions.

I really want to take a moment to show appreciation to Klei for this massive undertaking, they really didn't have to make DST for us, but they are working their butts off to make it perfect for us. Hopefully someone smarter than I will come up with a good solution. I guess in the meantime I'll just make my own servers.

they can just erase it with both dying...

it is, but they were talking about survival mode anyway

edit:

wait what i thought they said survival now i see they didn't...

Yeah, I wouldn't touch public survival with a 10 foot pole, every public survival game goes the same.

Log in, your sanity is draining as people beg you to kill spiders and rez them before you even have flint. Thanks, but no thanks.

Archived