Willow's Lighter

willow's lighter breaks the game and makes it way too easy for people to troll. if she dies in wilderness mode for example, she leaves behind a lighter and ANY player can pick it up and then use it, thereby bypassing the need to ever use a firepit, torch, or any other light source. also, the fact that anyone can get a lighter makes the chances that players will abuse it and use it to burn down whatever it is that they want

THIS, A THOUSAND TIMES THIS. The fact that EVERYONE can have a lighter is such a broken feature. Hopefully there's a fix, or a complete removal of this item in the near future. That or a vote kick system to remove people who are abusing the item before they cause too much damage.

YES! This topic so much! I just got done playing for a couple of hours on one of Klei's dedicated servers - the Amazon one that has the highest cap of 24 players. It is also a pvp server - WHICH IS FINE!!! Killing other players is not a big deal because you can just start over again and recollect resources from scratch. The problem is:

Willows Lighter Mass Resource Permanent Destruction/Trolling.

This is ESPECIALLY Detrimental to the large population servers because there is more chance of trolls, which means more people destroying all the grass and saplings (which, can NOT come back, unlike trees which have the pinecones).

It is also a wilderness mode server, so any player who used Willow would drop her lighter whenever they died, allowing anyone on the server to have one (after playing on the server for about 6 hours or so, they were evvvvvvvverywhere - pretty much EVERY player had one. It was ridiculous). This was even worse because the server had a long winter starting at day 20, and also because the server was mostly full during my entire playtime (24 people - a lot of people constantly dying in wintertime).

This was a huge factor in the amount of willow lighters that were LITTERED across the entire map. Me and a couple of other people made a camp and we had an area where we dropped all of the willow lighters in a huge pile, and I think there were like, 30 or so there - maybe more, maybe less. I honestly should have taken a screen shot - I might sometime if I can will myself to get back on the server sine it's absolutely unplayable and destroyed now since all the resources are pretty much gone.

In the beginning, it was AMAZING! Resources were relatively abundant (although, there needs to be a respawn or somethingggg on the flint on the ground. A lot of times when I, or a new player would make a new character or join, we'd die before even being able to find one flint on the ground. This happened in the beginning when I started when the server had just pretty much started having people play on it, and of course was even worse in the end when virtually all the ground flint was GONE).

So yes - SOMETHING needs to be done about Willow's lighter for multiplayer because it is a HUGE glaring problem right now - mostly on the public/dedicated servers that aren't password protected. Obviously if you are hosting a private server with a couple friends, it wouldn't be a big deal because you're probably not gonna have someone you are friends with/trust purposely destroy your privately hosted server.

My suggestions:

1.) This one pretty much NEEDS to happen in my opinion - Make all character specific items disappear on death in ALL modes (this includes Wilderness) There's no need for any character other than Willow to ever be able to attain Willow's lighter, since it's pretty much her special ability (along with not taking damage from fire - but the lighter is her main perk to be honest)

-Note: This would also prevent Wendy's flower and other littering items from being dropped on death, eventually filling the map with useless trash as well (since no one else can actually use the flower. This one isn't as big of a deal since other players can't exploit it)

2.) Either add a blacklist or whitelist of some sort - that people you appoint as admins to the dedicated servers can add and remove people to/from. I think this would fix a lot of it. As I said before - this server in particular is PVP - which is FINE! And actually really fun and great!! One of the main reasons I chose this one, along with it being public and so large. But when people ruin EVERYONES experience, current players, and future ones by using the willow lighter for trolling purposes as mentioned above, it's just terrible.

3.) Nerf willows lighter in DST - by either giving it a cooldown or something else - maybe like, one use per so much amount of time passed idk - maybe some sort of "charge" system where you can hold up to 4 uses but they take a while to come back, so many amount of uses per day or something, idk. I realllllllllllllly don't want this one because I don't want the character itself to be nerfed at all - I just want the ridiculous trolling to cease.

4.) Anyone else have suggestions?

Klei - please act on this fast. It's gamebreaking for TSD. The lighter is perfectly fine in the single player game because if the player wants to @#$% themselves over by burning everything - cool, great, good for them. They can ruin their own experience.

EDIT: I somehow double posted the content of this post twice in the same post. (never had that happen on any forum I've ever been in - usually it just makes another post). This happened because I guess the forum post submission must just be kinda slow sometimes, and I thought it wasn't going so I clicked "post" again, and then I waited a little longer after clicking "post" the second time, and my post was MILES long (imagine the content of my postx2 hahahah.)

I also support this. Willow's Lighter should go to Willow and Willow only. I haven't played it yet, but do the skeletons disappear after a while because if they don't the map will soon look like earth's graves were dug up and dropped in Maxwell's domain.

Also, why are you ALL Willow in that pic?

I also support this. Willow's Lighter should go to Willow and Willow only. I haven't played it yet, but do the skeletons disappear after a while because if they don't the map will soon look like earth's graves were dug up and dropped in Maxwell's domain.

Also, why are you ALL Willow in that pic?

Nice to get other ppls support! :-)

1.) To the skeleton question - I don't think they disappear. They didn't in the time me and Ishmy played on the Amazon server. Haha I'll have him get a screen of the crazed pig man shrine nearby our base - there are like 20 skeleton piles all over it. It's kind of funny, but also kind of irritating because they block your pathing when you're trying to move.

2.) To your second question - Because That lighter is just too darn good! She seemed to be really popular when me and Ishmy played on that server today for some reason lol (probably because of the MASSIVE amount of trolls that paraded around the server destroying everything) And I'm sure some of the other people in that picture might not realize you don't even need to be Willow to use her lighter LOL!

edit: OH! To add to my 2.) - I also think it's because Willow is REALLY good right now in the Wilderness dedicated servers because of the scarcity of ground spawning flint on the map. When you can't find any flint before nightfall, and you aren't willow with the lighter, or find another player with a  campfire, or someone with Willow's lighter (or, a Willow's lighter of your very own lying on the ground) you're done for lol - unless you camp the personal light source at your Wilderness Mode spawn. I think people wised up to it and just started playing her because it gave you a lottt of extra time to get going - causing you to instead die to hunger after a while instead of nightfall.

Here's a screen from that same server Scoundreya was talking about, just to show how ridiculous the lighter/flower problem has gotten. attachicon.gif322330_2014-12-17_00001.png

This ... picture... LOL. Reminds me of the very first winter on that server.... It will forever be remembered to me as...

#TheWinterOfWillowLighters

Because I'm pretty sure that's when a lot of the lighters on that map spawned HAHA - Because alll of the trees and flint and resources were gone, people would spawn, and inevitably die shortly after. And since most people were Willow - whenever they would die, it'd add just another lighter to the server LOL

3.) Nerf willows lighter in DST - by either giving it a cooldown or something else - maybe like, one use per so much amount of time passed idk - maybe some sort of "charge" system where you can hold up to 4 uses but they take a while to come back, so many amount of uses per day or something, idk. I realllllllllllllly don't want this one because I don't want the character itself to be nerfed at all - I just want the ridiculous trolling to cease.

You would have to rework Willow in that case, else she will be extremley hard to keep sane.

Would it be possible to just remove the items, if the player dies. Or and that seems a bit hard, make it undroppable or destroyed if dropped.(obviously only applieable to willow and not an option for wendy)

You would have to rework Willow in that case, else she will be extremley hard to keep sane.

Would it be possible to just remove the items, if the player dies. Or and that seems a bit hard, make it undroppable or destroyed if dropped.(obviously only applieable to willow and not an option for wendy)

Yeah, I don't want them to change her at all actually, as I think she is fine the way she is as long as she's not being played by a griefer/troll. like I said in my post - but for DST I think something really needs to be done.

I honestly think just having their items drop on death would be a HUGE step in the right direction and doesn't seem like it would even be that hard to implement.

The issue of Willow ruining ongoing dedicated servers would still be an issue though, even with that change, so we need to think of something more. I'm telling you dude - play on the Amazon server - or another high population one when you get a chance (can't say if the other ones are ruined though - but the Amazon one definitely is currently).

It's literally. unplayable and not fun at all right now. It sucks because it is THE BEST experience I've ever had with don't starve. Toward the beginning before we had !#@hole Willows runnin around burning everything on the map and griefing the whole server, there was this weird and crazy little band of 4 or so Wilson's that were scaring the heck out of people. They would intimidate people in all chat, and hunt down players and gang up on anyone not Wilson hahaha. They kinda RP'ed it in a funny way and it was hilarious. Even though they were killing players, they weren't Permanently ruining the experience for EVERY current and future player to come on the server.

Willows lighter in general needs something done about it, even for Willow players themselves.

Yeah, I don't want them to change her at all actually, as I think she is fine the way she is as long as she's not being played by a griefer/troll. like I said in my post - but for DST I think something really needs to be done.

I honestly think just having their items drop on death would be a HUGE step in the right direction and doesn't seem like it would even be that hard to implement.

The issue of Willow ruining ongoing dedicated servers would still be an issue though, even with that change, so we need to think of something more. I'm telling you dude - play on the Amazon server - or another high population one when you get a chance (can't say if the other ones are ruined though - but the Amazon one definitely is currently).

It's literally. unplayable and not fun at all right now. It sucks because it is THE BEST experience I've ever had with don't starve. Toward the beginning before we had !#@hole Willows runnin around burning everything on the map and griefing the whole server, there was this weird and crazy little band of 4 or so Wilson's that were scaring the heck out of people. They would intimidate people in all chat, and hunt down players and gang up on anyone not Wilson hahaha. They kinda RP'ed it in a funny way and it was hilarious. Even though they were killing players, they weren't Permanently ruining the experience for EVERY current and future player to come on the server.

Willows lighter in general needs something done about it, even for Willow players themselves.

Well i cannot really play on that server, because the lag would be horrible(i am from europe).

But i ran across some willow lighters on other servers as well. And i also think something should be done about that.

I don't really think that the griefing is the issue since you can create fires in other ways, it just bothers me that everyone can have it. Since it basically indicates that it is preferable to kill a willow on purpose just to give the lighter to everyone. And then start playing. Even in a team.

The thing that bothers me is, that there are so many lighters on the ground. And you cannot destroy them.

Hmmm there was some European server I think that had 20 players (wasn't pvp though, but it was a dedicated one, and also Wilderness I'm pretty sure - You'd see the same exact thing == trees and saplings and grass pretty much being no where to be found) Can't remember the name of it but if you go to the server filter and just sort them based on -> Dedicated: Yes and then make the server list sort based on population, you should see it assuming it's still up. That's how i saw it

I guess you're right about anyone being able to burn down anything and everything. Ugh I just think it's a huge issue that needs to be addressed for the dedicated ones because it is absolutely miserable if you try to play on those =\

Lighters and other unique items (woodie's axe if/when added, codex umbra, etc.) could all be eatable and digestable by lureplants when a player is no longer on the server. There could be a hidden tag on each of these items to check its owner and if the owner is not connected, then lureplant can take care of it. That way, if you don't want everyone to use the unique items or if you just don't want to have a collection of these items, you could just dispose of them forever and ever.

I agree that the problem with littering the world with lighters, but aside from that, The lighter is not much of a problem. If you're planning on griefing, all it takes is 2 grass and 2 twigs. The Lighter doesn't need a nerf, in my opinion, but we certainly need a blacklist or something like that. but nerfing the lighter will change almost nothing.

An easy solution to the littering problem would simply be making it so that people don't drop their character specific items when they die.

Willow's Lighter is just a weak, permanent torch. It's not "game-breaking" in the slightest. I agree it would be better if only Willow could use it, but personally I find it annoying to have to dedicate a full-time inventory slot to it, when I rarely need it.  

Any trolling people can accomplish with Willow's Torch they can accomplish just as easily or more easily with regular torches.

Archived