Editing pre existing mods

MiqoKitty

I downloaded a character mod that I really liked recently, and have been having great fun with it, save a few things. I'm not a huge fan of her sluggish run speed, and I really wanted to edit her odd description, give her my own custom dialogue lines and a few other things. Now I'm not asking for help how to edit these things, since I poked around a bit and was able to figure out how to edit things to my desired values, however the one problem I didn't foresee was that when I went in game later and clicked the mod tab, when it triggered the little load screen to verify mods, it overwrote everything I did with the original values, which was a real bummer since I put a couple hours into figuring out how to do everything and setting it all just right. So how do I make modding stick?

TL;DR: Edited pre existing mod, clicking "Mods" tab in game makes it auto revert to original values. Need to make it stick.

when it triggered the little load screen to verify mods, it overwrote everything I did with the original values, which was a real bummer since I put a couple hours into figuring out how to do everything and setting it all just right. So how do I make modding stick?

This is because of steam workshop. Mods are set to update themselves when you are subscribed to them. In order to make it stick, unsubscribe from the mod (but keep your altered version somewhere safe) or rename it.

This is because of steam workshop. Mods are set to update themselves when you are subscribed to them. In order to make it stick, unsubscribe from the mod (but keep your altered version somewhere safe) or rename it.

So keep a backup of it somewhere safe, and rename what exactly? I'm afraid my knowledge of modding is about 0, what files do I edit?

In your game installation, there's a mods folder. Go there, look through the "workshop-4random72numbers2" folders and look at the modinfo until you find the one you want. Copy that workshop folder and put it there under another name. That mod now won't re-download and can be edited fine.

You should refrain of releasing that without distinct permission btw. Just for the case you thought.

Archived