Weapon: Sling/Slingshot/Hand-Catapult

Hello everybody,

I had an idea for a simple ranged weapon; one that would hurtle rocks at opponents. This could be a variety of contraptions depending on how complicated one feels the resource requirements should be (Perhaps an elastic component for Slingshot/ Rock Catapult). The ranged weapon would not do any damage (or if so, a minimal amount), but rather should serve to provide a stun period slightly longer than normal in order to either assist in escape or to give a one-up advantage when closing in for the kill. The ranged weapon would fire rocks that would be destroyed on impact - simple and cheap to obtain but easy to expend rapidly (Perhaps multiple rocks could be fired per launching in order to increase cost). Accuracy could also be taken into affect by perhaps launching rocks on a ballistic arc that requires use of keys or mouse to gauge distance, but that could get complex due to the 3 dimensional environment.

I had an idea for a simple ranged weapon; one that would hurtle rocks at opponents. This could be a variety of contraptions depending on how complicated one feels the resource requirements should be (Perhaps an elastic component for Slingshot/ Rock Catapult).

Both the sling and slingshot have appeared in past suggestions, so in that regard there are other players who are interested in this idea. However, I'm not sure about a "rock catapult". The pictures that appear in my mind when you say that is either a full-blown catapult, which would be highly unfeasible, or one of those made-up "guns" from an old episode of the Flintstones, which I can't say I would be keen on seeing in the game.

As for the "elastic component", in past threads players suggested that perhaps the strange tree in the swamp could be a rubber tree and then with a harvest tool (a tap or such) we could then drain rubber sap from the tree and use it to create rubber for the slingshot.

The ranged weapon would not do any damage (or if so, a minimal amount), but rather should serve to provide a stun period slightly longer than normal in order to either assist in escape or to give a one-up advantage when closing in for the kill.

In past suggestions the sling was required a delay to "speed-up" the shot before firing. The slingshot didn't need this, however it only did minor damage, no stun. So spamming the slingshot wasn't meant to be a serious issue. However if it stuns and injures, then you can potentially "stun lock" them, never giving them a chance to attack back because you keep stunning them.

The ranged weapon would fire rocks that would be destroyed on impact - simple and cheap to obtain but easy to expend rapidly (Perhaps multiple rocks could be fired per launching in order to increase cost).

So, one stone per shot? I agree the resource should be expended after the attack to give a cost to the weapon's use.

Accuracy could also be taken into affect by perhaps launching rocks on a ballistic arc that requires use of keys or mouse to gauge distance, but that could get complex due to the 3 dimensional environment.

I'm not sure the game was meant to have any real physics and the 2.5D would make this either too easy or a chore.