Hippy Mode

So, I've been playing for about a week, and I'm trying to get by without eating any creatures, or in fact killing anything unless it attacks me first (had to gut some Dogs, alas). I'm in that kind of guilty mood recently, I even felt bad about burning trees for charcoal, and spent a good while contemplating the ecological impact of my reckless replanting on the in-game fauna... (will beefalo starve if I harvest all the grass?? What about the jackalopes? I took all their carrots!)

I'm not sure how far I can get on this strategy. We shall see. The limit probably lies much further than I've gotten to right now- I keep dying around day 10 because of being distracted. :p Hard to keep a fire going if you forget about fuel.

What I am wondering, mostly, is whether it's possible to get silk without destroying a spider nest. No, this isn't really a question, I'm sure I'll find out eventually. I tried luring the spiders out towards the beefalo so they'd get trampled, but that didn't work. Yeah, I don't really feel guilty about setting one animal against another. :p

Anyone else being silly and refusing to kill the beasties in the game? ;)

Beefalo and Jackalope don't need to eat to live. You're fine in that respect. Make sure to always have a fat stack of logs on you as fuel, and you'll be golden. Spiders have a chance to drop silk when you or a mob kills them. You can also replant the nest after destroying it (it will drop a spider egg) and it will grow into a full nest ready to be pillaged again.

I only really focus my attacks on the gobblers that constantly stream out from my berry fields. With a sufficient number of bushes they provide ample food for the pig king (he'll give you gold in return for your meat).

edit: I imagine hippy mode a little differently: worries about running out of "grass" to burn and a hunger meter that rapidly depletes ;)

Edited by Boy Weevil

Ha! Burning grass :p I originally titled the thread Vegetarian Mode, but then again, I eat meat from the beasties that attack me, so that would incur purist wrath. :p

A mob? There are mobs? Boy, I think I have a LOT to see in this game yet.

Ooo, tentacles, really? Only they usually kill me, too. I'll have to try that out.