[General] - New Remote Beam Power Sources Can Create Impossible Situtation

Bug Submission:

Category: General
Platform: PC
Issue Title: New Remote Beam Power Sources Can Create Impossible Situtation
Issue Description: New Level, First room, First move...

Here's what I see:

The next few minutes the team argued over who was going to take the hit.

Prior to release 7, this was never an issue -- the way to disable a laser wall was discovery of the laser wall.

Now, with the power sources being the only way to disable the grid, if the grid isn't visible... someone's gonna die.
Steps to Reproduce: See above.

savegame.zip

post-465046-0-44930600-1417045343_thumb.

Note:

I continued and luckily Internationale's scanner picked up the power source and we moved on.

But... if she hadn't been on the team then I wouldn't have been able to find that power source.

So does the game engine know who's on team and prevent impossible situations, or did I just get incredibly lucky?

• Developer

Hey Seekar, thanks for taking time to post :-)

It's not super clear, but there are two kinds of beam lasers. There are bright ones that are lethal and faded red ones which are not. Breaking those beams just increases the alarm.

With the new generator change, it's possible to have your path blocked by the non lethal beams, but not the lethal ones. It's something we are trying out.

We are also evaluating the types of beams now. It's possible we may remove the non lethal small beams to avoid this confusion altogether.

It's possible we may remove the non lethal small beams to avoid this confusion altogether. 

Hello Jason. That's sound like not very good news. You do not consider the option to simply change appearance of one of them (maybe make the infrared beams thinner, almost like thin lines, and paler? they would be more like trap for intruder + additional buzz for lethal laser) or use some force field instead of the lethal laser?

Hey Seekar, thanks for taking time to post :-)

It's not super clear, but there are two kinds of beam lasers. There are bright ones that are lethal and faded red ones which are not. Breaking those beams just increases the alarm.

With the new generator change, it's possible to have your path blocked by the non lethal beams, but not the lethal ones. It's something we are trying out.

We are also evaluating the types of beams now. It's possible we may remove the non lethal small beams to avoid this confusion altogether.

Can we get a better visual differation on the various laser types?

Currently the bright/dim beams are hard to differentiate.

Either can we get three different patterns (beams / diagonals / wall) or colors...

For example:

Red == Dead (Lethal)

Blue == Stun

Yellow == Alarm

Archived