Noob questions.

My friend and I just started playing, and there's some things we can't figure out that I was hoping someone  could shed some light on for us.

1. Is there a map ping option? We have such a hard time finding each other when we're separated, even on areas we both discovered. We combed through the control settings and couldn't find a ping key.

2. I can't see changes my friend makes on discovered map area until I revist the area myself. He had placed a sign near a trap to show me where he was, but the sign didn't show up on my map until I went there myself. Is that intentional at this point in the beta or a bug?

Thanks!

1.) All characters should be visible on the map or on the HUD. I wish Klei would have the map always update when something happens (like a treeguard moving or  spider queens offscreen becoming Tier 1 nests. They did it in DS I think.

2.) Everything explored has to be discovered by all players. It's annoying honestly, hopefully during the state of the betas they fix it.

Welcome to the forum. =)

1. There is no ping key. Just try to orient yourself to special places on the map.

"North of the pond, west to the stone biome." for example.

2. Thats intentional. When you look on the map, there is a small circle around your character that updates the map. Only in this circle you can see changes and other players.

Even though this is more supposed to be a co-op game, in PvP servers it wouldn't be good to always see others on the map. And in co-op it gives you an extra challenge and a bit joy, when you do find each other. =D

#1 - I think the difficulty in keeping track of people is part of the fun of the multi-player.  If you knew where everyone was all the time, it sort of takes the mystery out of things and will give you too much of a sense of security. 

#2 - There is no way of sharing maps yet, but Klei has said they are working on a way to share the map eventually.  Whether it would be a craftable map that you then give to someone and after they look at it, it is used up, or maybe a workbench where you can go update the map from there.  But it does not sound like the maps will just simultaneously update everyone's maps at the same time, you'll have to take a step and craft something to be able to share the map.

Thank you very much for your answers :D One more thing:

Are there no clockwork monsters, or am I just missing them? I know they're scarce in normal DS, but after covering nearly all of the map I'm thinking maybe they were removed so WX wouldn't be OP in pvp from eating gears.

@Shenny, The clockwork monsters don't spawn by default. If you change the world generation preset to "Default" (by default, confusingly, it's "Together Forever"), however, it will spawn the Things, including the Wooden Thing set piece which has a few clockworks around it.

Archived