why people compare invisible inc to X. COM?

Also: there aren't many games like that anymore. XCOM is so far the best known for reviving the genre. Saying "its a bit like XCOM but with stealth" is less confusing, than a turn-based-tactical-stealth-espionage-thingy. Therefore: comparison to XCOM! 

I think it is more similar to XCOM than Shadowrun (latter being an RPG), though to be honest - I think it is clear where the inspiration came from but Klei managed to create something unique with InvInc.

Also I am new to Invisible Inc. but it does seem to be a tighter game than XCOM was (Firaxis XCOM that is... so many bad design decisions.)

exactly like shadowrun returns...

some reasons why game compared with x-com instead of shadowrun returns:

at first original X-COM was born in 1994, Shadowrun returns in 2013

at second, pre-EA Invisible inc. builds had elements of homebase management & researching, and original X-COM famous by it's homebases micromanagement and researchings part as much as it's combat style

another thing: if I'm not mistaken, at start of EA, when was featured world map for choosing missions instead of dungen-like series of floors, was said that idea of constantly moving jet was inspired by x-com (there player have globe with distress signals etc to choose from, and send there jets)

developers refferences to x-com also often was quoted in game's first press releases

People are comparing Invisible Inc. to X-COM, not to Shadow Run. You asked why, you were given the answer. It doesn't really matter if you agree with it or not, or that you have different association(s) in mind, because people who compare Invisible Inc. to X-COM don't, hence this topic.

nevermind, i am saying what i am saying bellow just so you can understand why i think so.

in shadow run returns you can even see shields at the exact same place where you see eyes in this game (cover) pointing toward the tile that provide the cover (like in this game) when you hover on 'em.

I have played both games and I have never thought of Invisible Inc. as similar to Shadowrun. I think it is because Shadowrun is an RPG - even though it does have similar tactical elements, it also has a fleshed out story which to me is the main part of the game.

in shadow run returns you can even see shields at the exact same place where you see eyes in this game (cover) pointing toward the tile that provide the cover (like in this game) when you hover on 'em.

You mean like these ones?

551733046.jpg

That's XCOM, by the way.

Plus, comparing one single feature isn't enough to make a true comparison.  As Jonathan Blow says, if a game looks slightly like another game that someone is familiar with, they'll say "That game's exactly like this other game", even if the gameplay is completely different.  I've never played Shadowrun, but the fact that it's an RPG tells me that Invisible Inc is probably quite different.  On the other hand, I've played XCOM plenty and can vouch for the similarities.

"nothing like Invincible Ink"

"the games couldnt be more different"

Wow, that's pretty strong.  Sure, there are plenty of minor differences, but we're not saying that it's the same game.  We're saying that it makes sense why people often compare Invisible Inc to XCOM.  Do you know of a game that's more like Invisible Inc, but just as famous as XCOM?  I'd surprised if you did.

You'll at least admit that they're in the same genre, right?  The fact that missions have different objectives, moves are based on AP or number of moves, etc. don't change the fact that they're the same "kind" of game.  They're similar in the way that StarCraft is similar to Dune II.

When a game is part of a major genre, people will identify it by its genre, but if the genre is rare, people identify it with another game of that genre that they're familiar with.  Back in the day, when the RTS genre hardly existed, people compared all RTS's to Dune II because it was in many ways the first of its kind.  Nowadays, RTS's are a dime a dozen, so that's changed.  But X-COM's genre is still rare.

Even today, when most people have never even played the original X-COM, the remake is still the only game of its genre that most people are familiar with.  XCOM won game of the year, while most other games of its kind are lower-budget games with a smaller following.  Likewise, the original X-COM is considered by many to be the best game ever made.  Hence why everyone identifies it with XCOM.

ShadowRun likely has similarities with X-COM (likely because X-COM practically invented turn-based combat on a grid), but most people identify it with the RPG genre, unlike X-COM and Invisible Inc.  Besides, ShadowRun is not nearly as famous as XCOM.

In summary, while they're definitely not the same game, XCOM is the closest thing to Invisible Inc that most people are familiar with.

Archived