Hey guys!

First off, I'd like to say this to the developers (if they see this thread), Great work on the game so far! I Really fell in love the first time I played the game, and I have been playing it a lot the latest week. :D

Now for the business. Weapons! We all like weapons right? And I'm pretty sure the characters (especially Wilson) would like some new weapons to defend himself against the lurking enemies.

My first thought when I heard about this game being all about survival was Bows and Arrows! Not so surprising though since it's a rather common item in survival games. And do please tell me if this idéa or anything similar have been presented before, it wouldn't surprise me to be honest.

More to the bow itself, obviously it's going to be crafted with certain items (you don't say?!).

It's all up to the devs what it should be made of if they consider to add it in the game, but here's my suggestions. (I'm not going to specify any quantities of the materials since I don't find it very important at this time)

Items already presesnt in the game:

* Logs - Representing the stock of the bow

* Spider silk - Representing the string of the bow

* Rope - Alternative for representing the string of the bow

* Twigs - Shaft for the arrow

* Flint - Point of the arrow

* Hounds Tooth - Alternative point of the arrow

* Crow or Redbird feather - The feather of the arrow

New items that could be added for the purpose of the bow & arrow: (And then of course for other clever purposes aswell)

* Sinew - Representing the string - May be acquired from meat dropping creatures or be cooking Meat twice

* Bone - Point of the arrow - May be acquired from larger animals

This is it for now, obviously this idéa could be widened alot, but since there's no real variations in tools or weapons (except for the gold ones) as of now I'm not going to speak much of it. My idéas would generally to be like Bone bows, Manure shooter, poisoning tips for the arrows, fire arrows (Willow made me present this), grappling arrows (those pesky tallbirds are always trying to peck my eyes out when I'm offering my heart and loving care to thier eggs...), etc etc.

All feedback are welcome! :D

Items already presesnt in the game:

* Logs - Representing the stock of the bow

* Spider silk - Representing the string of the bow

* Rope - Alternative for representing the string of the bow

* Twigs - Shaft for the arrow

* Flint - Point of the arrow

* Hounds Tooth - Alternative point of the arrow

* Crow or Redbird feather - The feather of the arrow

New items that could be added for the purpose of the bow & arrow: (And then of course for other clever purposes aswell)

* Sinew - Representing the string - May be acquired from meat dropping creatures or be cooking Meat twice

Pine logs are too common,perhaps a new tree - Yew trees, specifically used for bow making. Rare tree.

Spider silk means that player has to fight at least once before obtaining a bow.

Rope, too easy to obtain.

Twigs, I prefer the idea of Yew trees to be honest.

Flint, Teir 1 arrow head, low damage.

Hounds tooth, Teir 2 arrow head, moderate damage.

Crow feathers for blowdarts, Red feathers for arrows.

Everyone forgets research, although the system is due for a "change":

300 research points.

Alchemy engine.

Edited by Khrayfish

Oh, sorry.

But you should be able to have different strength arrows.

Weakest to Strongest tips:

Flower - Can't kill anything 10 uses

Pinecone - takes the most shots 9 Uses

Log - takes a lot of shots 8 Uses

Rock - takes the a few shots 7 Uses

Flint - takes a couple shots 6 Uses

Bee Stinger - kills some nonharmful in one hit 5 Uses

Hornet Stinger - kills only nonharmful animals in one hit 4 Uses

Gold - kills some mobs in one hit. Three Uses

Hounds Tooth - Kills Most mobs in one hit. Two Uses

Red Gem - Kills all mobs in one kill causing them to burst in red and double loot. One use

They have a certain amount of uses.

If you shoot a hounds tooth one, you can pick it up if you kill the mob, but you lose 50% of its use. After two shots it is broken.

It all depends on how many times you can use it.

Edited by BobSajet

To answer Khrayfish

You I agree that some of the materials is a bit easy to obtain, but what items (rarity and accessability) that would be in the recipe is determined on how powerful the bow is. As my first thought it would be a really great ranged weapon capable of some heavy damage over distance, and then yes, a yew tree would be suitable. If the bow however, would take for instance three or four shots against a spider, it may be easier to craft?

This can be tweaked by the tier system you presented, and yes, I find the this very suitable "Crow feathers for blowdarts, Red feathers for arrows."

To answer Bobsajet

I agree on a tier system, although I don't think so many tiers would be in good synch with the rest of the game. Maybe two or three tiers would be enough. Maybe a hunting tier and a combat tier? And obviously the combat tier being the most advanced and hard to get.

Edited by NordicFenrir

Guest Dandytard

Jew tree- Drops gold nudgets and red gems.

Edit: Misread the tree's name.

I think it shouldn't be majesticly hard to make a bow. Now the question would be, Does it degrade the more you use it? Or does it have infinite uses, as long as you can provide the arrows?

Jew tree- Drops gold nudgets and red gems.

Edit: Misread the tree's name.

I think it shouldn't be majesticly hard to make a bow. Now the question would be, Does it degrade the more you use it? Or does it have infinite uses, as long as you can provide the arrows?

Even though you caused the officially multi-player to be closed I did laugh at that.

Majesticly? What?

I would say it should degrade, or perhaps the string should break and you would have to replace that? That seems more realistic and if implemented "Yew Tree friendly".

Also, I think the blowdart should be a Low Tier range weapon and the Bow should be a High Tier range weapon.

Edited by Khrayfish

Guest Dandytard

I meant nothing bad from the coop thread, Khray. My childish behavior is what keeps the community laughing, Or staring akwardly into the screen and pressing the report button.

Well, I guess so, yes. I don't think the bow should be too hard to acquire, And instead, drop it's damage by alittle bit.

Now for the business. Weapons! We all like weapons right? And I'm pretty sure the characters (especially Wilson) would like some new weapons to defend himself against the lurking enemies.

Some new tools and weapons would be nice...

My first thought when I heard about this game being all about survival was Bows and Arrows! Not so surprising though since it's a rather common item in survival games. And do please tell me if this idéa or anything similar have been presented before, it wouldn't surprise me to be honest.

As you can well imagine there are popular ideas, and this is one of them. In fact, I too would like to see the bow and arrow added to the game, and to this end I track the best suggestions along these lines to repost them later in threads like these to be discussed anew. ;)

Additional "popular" ranged weapons which have been suggested include: sling, slingshot, throwing spear (or simply being able to throw the spear), and various musket rifles.

More to the bow itself, obviously it's going to be crafted with certain items (you don't say?!).

It's all up to the devs what it should be made of if they consider to add it in the game, but here's my suggestions. (I'm not going to specify any quantities of the materials since I don't find it very important at this time)

The most commonly suggested crafting formulas, using existing resources, are:

Sticks + Silk = Bow

Flint + Stick + Feather = Arrow

On a side note, another player suggested a new invention, "String", as a refinement for Silk similar to how Grass can be refined into Rope. In which case should this ever be added then Silk would be replaced with String in the above formula.

Entirely possible.

My idéas would generally to be like Bone bows, Manure shooter, poisoning tips for the arrows, fire arrows (Willow made me present this), grappling arrows (those pesky tallbirds are always trying to peck my eyes out when I'm offering my heart and loving care to thier eggs...), etc etc.

A thousand and one arrow suggestions... hmm? :)

This reminds me my days back on the Minecraft forums. :p

Pine logs are too common,perhaps a new tree - Yew trees, specifically used for bow making. Rare tree.

True, but the bow could also be crafted from sticks rather than logs, in which case we would only need saplings. Maybe a new sapling?

Twigs, I prefer the idea of Yew trees to be honest.

Fair enough.

Hmmm. Maybe. I'm not against different arrows, however I'm usually against powering up an invention that's untested. And oddly enough it's hard to tell how effective the bow will be until it's in the game. It could be fairly devestating. If not, then better arrows could be an alternative.

Crow feathers for blowdarts, Red feathers for arrows.

True... I just always found it odd that blow darts NEEDED black feathers. Such a picky weapon...

On the topic of limiting or restricting the ease at which a player could craft the bow the following suggestions were made in the past:

1) The Bow is a Tier-2 invention (Requires: Unlock/Craft "Alchemy Engine" -> Requires unlock "Cut Stone")

2) The Bow uses a new resource, String (Requires: Unlock "String")

3) The Bow and Arrow have their own crafting formulas... meaning they are seperate inventions

3A) Unlock/Craft Bow

3B) Unlock/Craft Arrow

In short, you need to unlock 5 inventions before you can access the bow and arrow. Well 4, if you only want one or the other, but good luck using them on their own. :p

So you are Mobius!

True, but the bow could also be crafted from sticks rather than logs, in which case we would only need saplings. Maybe a new sapling?

I find it unusual that trees don't drop twigs, Yew tree could drop Yew twigs? No need for new saplings then?

True... I just always found it odd that blow darts NEEDED black feathers. Such a picky weapon...

They do put them to sleep though, maybe no black feather removes that effect?

__________________________________________________________________________________

Just wanted to bring this up again:

Spear (Implemented) has high damage.

-My system for measuring damage.

Edited by Khrayfish

I like the idéa of refined silk to String, since it would make the bow and arrow a higher tier weapon.

Since everyone is talking about how acessable this item/s is going to be I'd like to add that when you have your bow set, you probably need a bunch of arrows. And that might not be the fastest and easiest task if it needs feathers or hounds tooth. I'm thinking back in minecraft when you're in a new world, you just got yourself a bow, but no ammo?! Had to pick feathers and dig for flint all over...

I find it unusual that trees don't drop twigs, Yew tree could drop Yew twigs? No need for new saplings then?

Well let's look at this logically. A sapling is a tree... just in game terms it will never grow into an adult tree. The key difference in game terms is trees provide logs and saplings provide sticks. So what's the solution you're looking for? How about a yew sapling that provides yew sticks when harvested.

Spear (Implemented) has high damage.

One factor that was discussed to limit the effectiveness of the bow and arrow was requiring players to draw back the bowstring before firing. The system would be similar to the one used in Minecraft to resolve the same issue, arrow spamming. In Don't Starve it was suggested that the player would need to RMB on a target and hold the button. This would cause the character to draw back the string and then, with the release of the RMB, fire the arrow at the target. If fired too Soon the arrow would either drop to the ground or fire only a short distance, not inflicting any damage, but allowing the player to later collect the arrow. Arrows that hit disappear (obviously).

I like the idéa of refined silk to String, since it would make the bow and arrow a higher tier weapon.

Since everyone is talking about how acessable this item/s is going to be I'd like to add that when you have your bow set, you probably need a bunch of arrows. And that might not be the fastest and easiest task if it needs feathers or hounds tooth. I'm thinking back in minecraft when you're in a new world, you just got yourself a bow, but no ammo?! Had to pick feathers and dig for flint all over...

That's a good point. It should be noted that if arrows were restricted to flint then players will eventually have to address the fact that it's a finite resource.