Suggestion: Player experience filter for servers

From what I can tell, some players are worried that once DST goes 100% live, new players may wreck their servers.

Some suggest that you should put a password on your server, making it private, but with this, you lose the ability to meet and play with other players.

As such, here's my idea: Steam has a record of how long we play each of our games. I've seen this record used in creation of achievements for games... so technically, this value of hours you've played should be available in-game.

Using this measure, it would be nice to see a filter on servers so that you can require a player experience range. For example; if you were to start a server for more experienced players, then you could set the player hour minimum requirement to 48 hours.

This would allow experienced players to have (some) assurance that the people who are joining their server have at least played DST for quite some time, it doesn't determine whether or not the person is malicious, but a ban can easily fix that.

It's also good for people looking to join a server... if the minimum is displayed somewhere in the server list.

What do you guys/gals think? I know it may not work if there's a standalone version in the works... but for steam it should be fine.

-Crynux

Idk. I don't think experience can be marked in some frame of time. It's not that cut and dry.

I agree, but time is something readily available, and although it isn't a very accurate measure of experience, it can prevent those who (may have) just got the game from entering a server that only wants more experienced players.

Why not use the means available right now? I don't see the need for a system like this, when you got the forum and Steam community hub available for you already. It takes a few steps. The forum way:

- Make a thread on the forums stating your business (Experienced DST player looking for fellow experienced players to not starve alone)

- Make interested people post a screenshot of their playtime and Steam name

- Add them on Steam

- Set up a server with password only your target audience (fellow experienced players) can join

Sure, not everyone is on the forums later in DST development and you would miss out on a few potential survivors but the entire aim for a filter like you're suggesting is to have a small group of similar minded individuals, and I feel simply using the forums will achieve that :)

I agree with spazmatic.

If you want to have better players on your server, and meet new players, use the forums to network.

You'll get better results, it saves the devs time, and private servers don't get ruined by drive-bys.

Just because someone has played for a long time doesn't mean they aren't up for griefing.

I agree with spazmatic.

If you want to have better players on your server, and meet new players, use the forums to network.

You'll get better results, it saves the devs time, and private servers don't get ruined by drive-bys.

Just because someone has played for a long time doesn't mean they aren't up for griefing.

I agree with all of this. And another thing is you can leave DST open on the title menu and steam keeps adding up your "hours played" so it wouldn't take long to get up to 50 hours and start griefing anyway. All of the anti-cheat stuff mentioned so far would take a lot of dev time and I don't think it's worth it, especially because the majority of the proposed fixes just add new problems or take away from the game.

I think the best course of action is for Klei to add a "group builder" or some such forum so people can look for quality players. Beyond that you just need to deal with griefers. Other than losing chester a griefer can only do so much damage anyway, personally I wouldn't even console command respawn lost resources as a griefer wouldn't be able to remove 100% of any one thing (except mandrakes) before I kick banned them. Lost rock would currently be annoying, but that will be a non issue anyway once caves are back in.

Archived