New Augment Mission

However here is my favorite idea:  You pick up augment chips normally (finding them or buying them), but you can't use it until it has been installed, and the only way to install them is by visiting a cybernetics lab.  Each lab might have a safe with 1 random implant (so it's not a waste even if you come without any chips), and then 1-3 installation machines.  You go to a machine with a chip, it knocks you out, and when you wake up the implant is installed and ready to go.

That is a great suggestion.

However here is my favorite idea:  You pick up augment chips normally (finding them or buying them), but you can't use it until it has been installed, and the only way to install them is by visiting a cybernetics lab.  Each lab might have a safe with 1 random implant (so it's not a waste even if you come without any chips), and then 1-3 installation machines.  You go to a machine with a chip, it knocks you out, and when you wake up the implant is installed and ready to go.

Also it would make logic, if you could throw chips between agents. This way, you can easily manage augments that you want on exact agent you want it to be on. Genius.

However here is my favorite idea:  You pick up augment chips normally (finding them or buying them), but you can't use it until it has been installed, and the only way to install them is by visiting a cybernetics lab.  Each lab might have a safe with 1 random implant (so it's not a waste even if you come without any chips), and then 1-3 installation machines.  You go to a machine with a chip, it knocks you out, and when you wake up the implant is installed and ready to go.  This would add more continuity between missions (just like picking up the codes from the CFO to get into the back vault), and make augmentations feel more special then other inventory items  If they took that much work they could either be made more powerful, or made to not take up inventory spaces (maybe each agent has a limit of 3 augment slots)

This is brilliant.

Another thing to add to it would be allowing those lab missions to remove/replace mods as well. Well worth being knocked out for 3 turns!

And yes, augments need to be limited but not take up inventory spaces. The inventory juggling isn't the most fun part of the game right now.

Honestly I think the entire cybernetics lab mission should be scrapped. Augments as they stand shouldn't have their own mission, not by a long shot.

Go back to square one with augments by balancing the bloody things. The fact that some are good and some are absolute garbage is a real problem. I said it before and I'll say it again, if you offered me the majority of the augments for free, I wouldn't take them. The majority of them are not worth it ever, and the rest are worth it only with specific builds. I value the inventory slot over 90% of the augments. 

Once balanced they should be as accessible as they were last patch, not take up an inventory slot, and have a limit of 1 augment (not counting the unique augment each agent has). 

I'd rather see augments removed from the game than have them as they are this patch. So bloody tired of seeing cybernetics lab missions being the vast majority of my choices (At least half).

However here is my favorite idea:  You pick up augment chips normally (finding them or buying them), but you can't use it until it has been installed, and the only way to install them is by visiting a cybernetics lab.  Each lab might have a safe with 1 random implant (so it's not a waste even if you come without any chips), and then 1-3 installation machines.  You go to a machine with a chip, it knocks you out, and when you wake up the implant is installed and ready to go.  This would add more continuity between missions (just like picking up the codes from the CFO to get into the back vault), and make augmentations feel more special then other inventory items  If they took that much work they could either be made more powerful, or made to not take up inventory spaces (maybe each agent has a limit of 3 augment slots).

I totally agree. This would also mean you have a choice NOT to install augments, but sell them or add them to the agency stack. I don't mind augment staking up an inventory slot as long as I can sell it after the mission.

I like some of the randomness of the current approach, as a random augment can lead to a new approach in the game and a break from my usual specialization patterns.

Giving Deckard a 'cloak' augment is a no-brainer, but Banks getting one... I better get here a cloaking rig too. Same with 'Kill' enhancements for everybody but Shalem. 

However, I would appreciate the option to decline (or remove) an augment. Even if the option is 'install now for this agent or it is gone'. 

The 'chip and install' approach sounds great too. How about a special inventory for augments? One to three slots or so. 

Just played the first augment mission and don't like it at all. I got two augments that are useless for my character and augments are NOT free. They cost an inventory slot. Slots are limited and cost money. I think there are two easy fixes though (only one of the changes would be enough):

- Let the player see the augment before installing it OR

- augments don't take inventory slots.

Either of these would change my mind about augment missions. Something like taking an inventory slot until the mission ends or whatever also sounds fine.

Anyone tried using the code you download from the executive to see what's behind the vault door on augment missions yet?

Also something 'fun' about those augment machines. They're not usable if your inventory is full, and they don't give you the usual ability to uprade your slots.

If anything, they should upgrade your inventory slots for free as they are now, but still, I think they'd be better if augs don't take an inventory slot.

Well, the idea is that you get them implanted in there. Which is fine. I do have problem with inventory system overall. I would like to see separate slots for weapons (big items), usables (small items like meds, intel or security cards) and separate slots for implants (possibly with the system similar to Shadowrun's essence to balance it out.) 

While I can deal with the current inventory system gameplay wise it just doesn't make logical sense.

About Augment Mission. My biggest complain is the lack of information on what Implants do until you get them. Advanced players probably know them by heart but being fairly new it would help to be able to check what implant does before getting it.

There's one major element that currently makes cyberlabs fun: They're THE mission type that offers major character development without money requirements. Nanofab vestibules and server farms are something to be conserved until you have the money to benefit from them; when you see a cyberlab you want to check it out ASAP if there's nothing pressing going on. You might not get that much of a benefit, but you often get something fun that lets you steer towards an unexpected, but effective build.

Archived