[Theory] Method of getting character items to other characters.

If you say, started a world as Willow, put your lighter in a chest, then went into adventure mode and beat it, whichever character was in the Nightmare Throne gets put into that world. This character can now, assumedly, use the lighter. Right? You could get any character specific item onto any character with this method, the only problem is that the new character won't have their item. You could theoretically play as Webber with a Codex Umbra. This also raises the question of which, if any, or all, of the character specific items work for any character.

You could put any character into the Nightmare Throne in preparation, but the only downside is that you would have to beat adventure mode twice to get into the position of exchanging character items. This could be much more easily done with console commands, but this is a method of doing it without cheating.

This would be most beneficial by giving a character that doesn't have an item, like: Wilson, Wolfgang, WX-78, Webber, Wigfrid, and Wickerbottom (they don't start with their items and craft them from the world) any of the items from the characters that have them (Willow, Wendy, Wes, Woodie, Maxwell).

If you say, started a world as Willow, put your lighter in a chest, then went into adventure mode and beat it, whichever character was in the Nightmare Throne gets put into that world. This character can now, assumedly, use the lighter. Right?

Unfortunately not. I spent a few minutes this morning testing this, and character-specific items are deleted when a different character enters the world. You can't even spawn in these items with the console to the wrong character's inventory--the game flashes a pause screen briefly and it does not appear.

I didn't test the full breadth of items, but swept adventure mode with the Codex sitting in a chest and, in a new game, tried to spawn the Codex, lighter, and Lucy into Wickerbottom's inventory.

As of the Twitch broadcast, for now, until they decide otherwise, all items can be picked up by other players, including uniques dropped. 

I think you may be getting your subforums scrambled--the OP asked about completing adventure mode and emerging with a new character, not future multiplayer drops. This technique, while ingenious, sadly doesn't work at all in the current version of RoG.

Perhaps they'll patch it in if they allow cross-usage in DST (I doubt it, since Wickerbottom or WX with a working Codex would be ridiculously ridiculous), but for now, it's a no-go.

I think you may be getting your subforums scrambled--the OP asked about completing adventure mode and emerging with a new character, not future multiplayer drops. This technique, while ingenious, sadly doesn't work at all in the current version of RoG.

Perhaps they'll patch it in if they allow cross-usage in DST (I doubt it, since Wickerbottom or WX with a working Codex would be ridiculously ridiculous), but for now, it's a no-go.

Apologies as I was not clear. My other sentence went on vacation somewhere. I'll expand beyond one other sentence:

Any character can carry any item at this time in DST. HOWEVER, Any character cannot USE any unique item  at this time.

Just because you could leave the Codex in a Chest, drop it off for Woodie when you come back from AM if you will, doesn't mean Woodie could SUMMON Shadow Maxwells when "carrying" the Codex.

That could easily be written as an activation routine only linked to a specific character/vanish when that character vanishes as in SP mode even if now the items do not follow the "same single player rules" in regards to being picked up. 

So while technically the item may or may not disappear when you switch characters, they aren't guaranteed to be able to use them.

And I don't care how "initially confusing" it would be to new players (like "new players" would ever come up with this anyway) but such a game unbalancing strategy would be exceptionally unlikely to not be met either with it no longer being there or some "I can't use this" deny text.   

Apologies as I was not clear.

No, no, you were totally clear. It's just that the OP's question had nothing to do with DST in any way.

I just wanted to clarify it explicitly because I was afraid your comment, based on future DST mechanics, may have seemed contradictory to my RoG testing results.

You can never have another players special items.

(UNLESS you DebugSpawned the person, then spawned in their item. You can use the codex, but once Maxwell disappears, so will the puppet, and you are stuck with a huge chunk missing of your max sanity. Also, never, NEVER spawn wickerbottom.)

Also, spawning Abigail works with everyone. They all even have their own quotes besides "it's a... thing"

Archived