should i try this game?

currently, I'm loaded up to my neck with money, i swear, i saw a quarter in my ear, and i bet i can buy tijuana. the only klei game i play is don't starve actually, that's why i joined the forums. *input bender insult here* what are your suggestions? i wouldlove to hear from you.

and no, Captain Lawless, i won't buy your wilson :p

okay that was a joke, don't stuff your stockings about it.

Don't Starve is a very different game. It's more toy-like, it's about exploring what mechanics exist in the game to begin with.

Invisible, Inc. on the other hand also has a lot to discover, but it is a pretty hardcore strategy game. It's all about making strategic and tactical decisions with permanent consequences. The player should know the rules, know what things do, but then has to decide how to use them best to manipulate the system to his advantage.

I personally would highly recommend giving the game a shot. Even in its current state it's already extremely engaging. It's likely one of the most interesting PC games I've played in many years. It almost feels like the start of a new era of strategy games with deep and coherent gameplay design, but also with great audiovisuals and a fleshed out theme. In recent years I mostly had to revert to abstract games if I wanted to experience a high density of difficult decisions in games. But this is beauty of the ruleset as well as in presentation.

I believe Klei's strength lies in solid game design, which the video games industry is seriously lacking these days. While i am not the biggest fan of Mark of the Ninja and Don't Starve, i do have a lot of respect for how the ideas for those games were implanted and fit wonderfully together. Invisible Inc is my thing though, as it pretty much puts together nearly everything i like in a game.

That said, Invisible Inc is in a similar state Don't Starve was back in its (very) early access days: not that many features and content, but what is there is well implanted, functional and most importantly fun enough to make you want to play again. Another thumb up for Klei here, more devs need to take this approach as it sure beats a billion of half-ashed features barely holding together in a broken game.

In the end, it all comes down to what kind of games you like. Of course, asking if the game is good here, on the official forums, it is likely that everyone will say yes. If you like XCom, then you would probably enjoy this game as it has clearly taken a bit of inspiration from it. Other than that, even if they're very different games, Invisible Inc and FTL have a few things in common: easy to learn yet tricky to master, randomized content, choices that matter both at short and long term, one bad move can mean death. Just like any roguelike, it is more about playing (and replaying) than winning.

I'm afraid i can't help more than this without knowing the games you enjoy, but if you have more money than you know what to do with it, why not giving it a try? Worst case scenario is that even if you don't like it, you'll support the studio that made Don't Starve, which you seem to like.

I see a Klei game I buy it. There are no questions asked and no research done. Only company I have full trust in to deliver perfect, top notch games. Plus they all tick the boxes in terms of what I like in a game.

I'm completely not saying this because I'm a moderator and if I say something bad I'll get the boot. Nope all true. Seriously.

I see a Klei game I buy it. There are no questions asked and no research done. Only company I have full trust in to deliver perfect, top notch games. Plus they all tick the boxes in terms of what I like in a game.

I'm completely not saying this because I'm a moderator and if I say something bad I'll get the boot. Nope all true. Seriously.

Even if you were to just say that for mod reasons, I have to agree! :p

Nope, they didn't make me a mod too because I love Klei's games, nope nope nope!

If it worked like that, every second member would have to be mod XD

Yeah, Klei truly has won me over on how gaming companies should do work. If ever I were to do an impulse buy, Klei would be on the top of my list. 

Fun fact: all by Klei purchases so far have been very quick decisions :D

Don't Starve got me interested and I simply had to buy all the others, don't regret a single one.

Although I would regret Eets if I didn't get it from a cheap Humble Bundle, not my type of game...

I believe Klei's strength lies in solid game design, which the video games industry is seriously lacking these days. While i am not the biggest fan of Mark of the Ninja and Don't Starve, i do have a lot of respect for how the ideas for those games were implanted and fit wonderfully together. Invisible Inc is my thing though, as it pretty much puts together nearly everything i like in a game.

That said, Invisible Inc is in a similar state Don't Starve was back in its (very) early access days: not that many features and content, but what is there is well implanted, functional and most importantly fun enough to make you want to play again. Another thumb up for Klei here, more devs need to take this approach as it sure beats a billion of half-ashed features barely holding together in a broken game.

In the end, it all comes down to what kind of games you like. Of course, asking if the game is good here, on the official forums, it is likely that everyone will say yes. If you like XCom, then you would probably enjoy this game as it has clearly taken a bit of inspiration from it. Other than that, even if they're very different games, Invisible Inc and FTL have a few things in common: easy to learn yet tricky to master, randomized content, choices that matter both at short and long term, one bad move can mean death. Just like any roguelike, it is more about playing (and replaying) than winning.

I'm afraid i can't help more than this without knowing the games you enjoy, but if you have more money than you know what to do with it, why not giving it a try? Worst case scenario is that even if you don't like it, you'll support the studio that made Don't Starve, which you seem to like.

I have to disagree about XCom. XCom is maybe not an assoult game, but you fight in the open with covers and your team is way bigger. This is a maze exploring tile based stealth game.

Also I regret don't strave but this and the mark of the ninja are awsome.

You sir amaze me. Don’t Starve is one of the best games I have ever played. And I have been gaming since the late eighties...

And as to the OP, if you enjoy thinking and tough challenges, you will love this game. If you only like casual and easy games, it might frustrate you, though.

You sir amaze me. Don’t Starve is one of the best games I have ever played. And I have been gaming since the late eighties...

It might be one of the best games you've played, but everyone has different tastes.

You don't go ahead and say everyone has to like pepperoni pizza just because you like it either. :D

It might be one of the best games you've played, but everyone has different tastes.

You don't go ahead and say everyone has to like pepperoni pizza just because you like it either. :grin:

Your argument is invalid. How could anyone NOT like pizza?! ;)

On a more serious note: of course you are right. But for some reason Don’t Starve has a special place in my mind. Even my non-gamer girlfriend likes it. I was honestly surprised to find someone who doesn’t like it on the Klei forum... (Which I probably shouldn’t be.)

Archived