There's one thing that I can't get over with this game...

• Developer

if i leave LOS and then enter LOS back with the same guard on the same turn, he will shoot me. is it a bug or it's meant to be like this?

Right now, the way this should work is as follows: 

1. Guard sees you, goes on overwatch (animation is gun-out, target icon above his head) 

2. Guard loses sight of you, goes into hunting mode (puts down his gun, exclamation point above head) 

3. You re-appear, guard goes on overwatch again and does not immediately shoot you. At this point if you move into a watched or noticed square he will shoot you. But he should not shoot you unless you move after you re-appear in his LOS. 

Let me know if it doesn't seem to be working that way. Thanks! 

• Developer

If you move out of a guard's LOS he should go off overwatch until you move back in, so if you're getting a situation where a guard immediately shoots you without being on overwatch, that sounds like a bug. I'll play around with moving in and out of guard vision today and see if I can find situations where it's not working as expected. 

Right now, the way this should work is as follows: 

1. Guard sees you, goes on overwatch (animation is gun-out, target icon above his head) 

2. Guard loses sight of you, goes into hunting mode (puts down his gun, exclamation point above head) 

3. You re-appear, guard goes on overwatch again and does not immediately shoot you. At this point if you move into a watched or noticed square he will shoot you. But he should not shoot you unless you move after you re-appear in his LOS. 

Let me know if it doesn't seem to be working that way. Thanks! 

1. Guard sees TWO agents, goes on overwatch.

2. Guard loses sight of ONE agent, remains on overwatch due to the other.

3. Your hidden agent reappears and gets shot immediately.

I've seen that happen. I wasn't sure if it was intended or not, since the guard was still on overwatch because of another agent in sight.

Also, sometimes guards don't seem to end overwatch if you go into a hidden tile that normally would be watched.

yeah something like this

If I get it right, the code is something like this:

guard will enter overwatch whenever he see an agent. he will stay overwatching as far as there is any agent in his field of view. whenever any agent enters a watched tile when the guard is overwatching, the guard will shoot. it's working good when the agent moves from one watched tile to another, but if the guard is stuck on overwatch (i don't remember if it was it) then maybe that's the problem.

yeah something like this

If I get it right, the code is something like this:

guard will enter overwatch whenever he see an agent. he will stay overwatching as far as there is any agent in his field of view. whenever any agent enters a watched tile when the guard is overwatching, the guard will shoot. it's working good when the agent moves from one watched tile to another, but if the guard is stuck on overwatch (i don't remember if it was it) then maybe that's the problem.

I've seen situations where that doesn't seem to be the case. I've tested a LOT of scenarios, and found interesting behaviours.

The game seems to recognise 5 different states for a tile to have, based on two factors. Firstly, the guard's field of vision provides watched/noticed/unwatched. The other condition is whether the tile is hidden or exposed. Noticed/hidden and unwatched/hidden seem to both be treated the same way by the game.

You can move from a watched/exposed tile to an unwatched/exposed tile directly, and if there isn't an obstacle in the way, you will be shot even though you're technically moving to a position the guard "can't see". If you make it to an unwatched/hidden tile, you won't be shot.

Also, overwatching guards seem to make a distinction between entering and leaving hidden tiles depending on whether the tile is watched or not, even though the tile is hidden. In my experience, an agent moving into an overwatching guard's vision from a watched/hidden tile will often be shot immediately, but moving from any other hidden tile will always give them a chance to escape. I've even had an agent shot when moving from watched/hidden to noticed/exposed. Also, the only time I've seen a guard remain in overwatch with no agents visible is when there's at least one agent in a watched/hidden tile.

Archived