a previous version seemed better...

from what i played so far, the recent update seems a bit... off. the build menu wont go away & other items cant be viewed, and captured rabbits cant be cooked or turned into meat? the inventory now requires a backpack build? which is ok.

I didnt get too far into this recent update but it seems a little worse than a previous update :/

the build menu wont go away

Yeah this is a bit annoying, but you use it anyway all the time.

other items cant be viewed

There are no other items, besides you had probably the bigger inventory open all the time.

captured rabbits cant be cooked or turned into meat

You just have to kill them first.

the inventory now requires a backpack build

The backpack adds some extra slots to your inventory. You still have a permanent inventory. You have to choose if you're going to collect some stuff and use the backpack or if you're going to fight and wear the log suit.

Also there are a lot of new cool monsters, items and many bug/hotfixes. Play a bit more with the new version, I'm sure that you're going to like it more than the previous versions.

The backpack adds some extra slots to your inventory. You still have a permanent inventory. You have to choose if you're going to collect some stuff and use the backpack or if you're going to fight and wear the log suit.

And don't forget the football helmet helps balance out the drawback of not wearing the log suit while wearing the backpack.

Welcome to the forums.

the build menu wont go away

Which is a good thing. Say you need to quickly refine 4 ropes to make a new logsuit. You refine 1 rope, the menu hides. You open it, and refine another one. The menu hides. You open it yet again, and refGRFPLLGHTXFK! You were killed by a spider.

other items cant be viewed

This was a design decision aimed at new players, so they don't get overwhelmed by all the things you can build. Until you research the first item of each category, it won't be visible. You have to be near a Science Machine for them to appear and show you the cost of researching.

and captured rabbits cant be cooked or turned into meat?

You can. You just have to put them on the ground (asleep) and slay them. There's a new behavior tracker that unleashes a new beast if you are too cruel to the good beings of the game. Some people are complaining about having to do that extra step to kill the rabbits, and that may change.

the inventory now requires a backpack build? which is ok.

Indeed it is. Once you have a backpack, the total number of slot was increased! You have more space than even to store your stuff. You can't wear armor while carrying a backpack, but you can now craft head armor! (the football helmet).

Play a little bit more, get used to the changes and you'll see that they where for the better. Most of them at least.

Which is a good thing. Say you need to quickly refine 4 ropes to make a new logsuit. You refine 1 rope, the menu hides. You open it, and refine another one. The menu hides. You open it yet again, and refGRFPLLGHTXFK! You were killed by a spider.

And I believe I suggested a great solution for this issue. Clicking anywhere else on the screen (i.e. NOT the crafting menu) should automatically minimize the entire menu. A perfectly simple solution.