How will perma-Death function?

Hi there,

Since the news hit that there will be a multiplayer version implemented into Don't Starve (which I'm extremely exited for, by the way) I'm quite curious as to how the perma-death system will work while in a multiplayer session.

So, as you are all undeniably aware of, Don't Starve has a 'perma-death' mechanic; meaning, once you die, you die (that is unless you activate a Touch Stone, or by using an amulet). So, how will this work in a multiplayer session? When one player dies, is that it - the player can't play anymore? Obviously, that would be the native choice. Or will there be another - new - mechanic where you can resurrect your dead companion through some newly-created means?

Anyway, I'd like to hear peoples' thoughts on this matter.

Cheers,

Triicell.

Hey, welcome to the forums!

If you look in the stickies, there are a bunch of threads by SethR explaining the progress of DS Together, even with some videos of it in the more recent threads. He has explained the basic WIP idea of how death is handled.

Basically when a player dies they turn into a ghost. They can interact and haunt the environment. If they haunt a Touch Stone, Meat Effigy, or Life Giving Amulet they can resurrect themselves. That's the basic idea in a nutshell. Everything is still subject to change however.

Actually I think the followup question about Ghost Death is kind of a mystery to me. 

So you die as a ghost and your character is now officially totally dead. Can you rejoin the same server with a different character (only real consequence is having to re-map everything)? Are you locked out of the server now? Can players only join a server on day 1 or something?

so many questions :3

Actually I think the followup question about Ghost Death is kind of a mystery to me. 

So you die as a ghost and your character is now officially totally dead. Can you rejoin the same server with a different character (only real consequence is having to re-map everything)? Are you locked out of the server now? Can players only join a server on day 1 or something?

so many questions :3

Yeah, that's what I'm thinking. If you die as a ghost, are you then booted from the server, or can you create another character? Meh, either way, multiplayer sounds really top.

Archived