Console derp?

Ok so I was playing DS I was at the title screen and I went to enable the console but my game gave the WARING screen with a 3rd option being disable mods so I did and I could enable console no prob. Did my console derp or what?

I'm not exactly sure what you're asking, but if you want to enable your console on Don't Starve it should already be enabled. No need to fiddle with game files or anything - and there shouldn't even be a need to disable your mods. Just leave them enabled - that screen only appears to ask you if you WANT to have mods on for this play-session. It has nothing to do with console.

If you're having trouble make console appear:

Simply start the game up, then start a world. Once it's loaded hit the ~ key on the top left side of your keyboard, console should appear and be ready for commands. To get rid of the annoying wall of text Console leaves behind press Ctrl + L. If your console is not working - I recommend simply reinstalling the game and then letting your mods reinstall.

If that doesn't work, try disabling mods and try again. If it still doesn't work go through disabling the mods one by one to find out what is preventing your console from appearing. These steps again, should NOT be necessary if you just reinstall the game.

I hope this helps.

But to toggle the console (often the ~ key by default,) you need to allow it to be toggleable. 

to quote the DS wiki:

To enable the Command Console you first need to do some tweaking in your settings.ini of your save. This can be found in the [donotstarve] folder, If you don't know where it is by default the location is in your documents folder, Locate the settings.ini and open it with notepad or notepad++ and where it says [MISC]ENABLECONSOLE = false and rewrite it as [MISC]ENABLECONSOLE = true then save the document.

Then to open the console while in game by pressing ~, ^, ø or ö, Ctrl+Ñ, depending on which keyboard layout you have. Also you can hide the console menu again by pressing Ctrl + L.

Note: You have to re-enter every command after loading a world

I never had to do that ~! @,@  :wilson_horror:

Neither. Console was enabled by default for me.

Also, I understand why console log window remains open after closing console, I feel that it needs a prompt (Press CTRL+L To Close) in the log window, for those of us new to Console (ie new to the game) who activate it accidentally, or even intentionally, and then don't know how to close it thereafter.

Neither. Console was enabled by default for me.

Also, I understand why console log window remains open after closing console, I feel that it needs a prompt (Press CTRL+L To Close) in the log window, for those of us new to Console (ie new to the game) who activate it accidentally, or even intentionally, and then don't know how to close it thereafter.

To solve that issue if you don't know the Ctrl + L solution the easiest way is to just close and reload your world. That's all I did any time I used console - but knowing about Ctrl + L is a life-saver! There should be a prompt.

JoeW... J-JanH? if you're out there riding the internet super highway, c-could you please put a "Press Ctrl+L to close console" prompt  on the console..? Everyone in the studio must know it for debugging reasons but us - no, no we wouldn't. I know we're supposed to play the game as it's meant to be played - and I honestly try to as much as I can but if something frustrating is going on using the console is a handy way to avoid wasting the players time.

I should add "Press Ctrl + L to close the console once finished." to the console wiki page as well.

Archived