Winter trap jumps straight to Summer after one day

So I got (not so politely) lambasted for necroing a recent (two month old) thread discussing the sequence and duration of seasons following triggering this trap, so I'll start a whole new thread to ask the question.

Ok, so I found one of these and held off opening until the first day of winter (day 21) and it went cold for the rest of that day and jumped ahead to summer on day 22...This is ROG, so it actually fast-forwarded through winter in a day, skipped spring and dropped me in Summer.

Obviously I was ill prepared for Summer and didn't even survive the run back to my base before overheating.

Anyone ever seen the winter trap do that?

Thoughts?

Tripz

That's what it does now, not sure if it's a specific Summer trap, or if it just picks Summer if you're in or near to Winter.  I triggered one when I was in Winter, and one two days before Winter and both times it took me to Summer, and the chest contained Summer gear instead of Winter.  We need someone to trigger one nearer to Summer, to see if it still does Winter in that case.  Or if it's to do with the location - both mine have been in the desert.

The way I survived both times was just to camp out by the trap for the whole of Summer and go back to my base once it came round to Autumn.  There was plenty of rock around so I was able to make a spare thermal stone (already had one on me in preparation for Winter), using the icebox to make sure I always had a cold one. 

The box had an umbrella and Summer Frest, and I lived off those vulture birds and cactus flesh, and monster meat from the nearby hound mounds (managed to make a crockpot too).  I didn't stray far from this mini base, as there was no ice flingomatic.  I found some rot around the place and used that to put out any smouldering.

What did your box contain? 

I think there's a winter trap and a summer trap. I found 1 near the pig king and waited until the last couple days of winter to spring it. It had winter gear so no change. Another time I found 1, waited until a few days into winter and opened it. When I seen it had Summer gear I figured I was screwed but was able to get back to base, grab some stuff and get back there b4 too long. Other times I've opened 1 and nothing happened. So, like any trap, could be bad or nothing could happen!

I think there's a winter trap and a summer trap. I found 1 near the pig king and waited until the last couple days of winter to spring it. It had winter gear so no change. Another time I found 1, waited until a few days into winter and opened it. When I seen it had Summer gear I figured I was screwed but was able to get back to base, grab some stuff and get back there b4 too long. Other times I've opened 1 and nothing happened. So, like any trap, could be bad or nothing could happen!

Can you remember the location though?  If that does affect it, it would at least give us a clue before springing it since there doesn't seem to be any other visible difference.

The summer trap was in the desert and I've found one in the forest in the middle of the swamp. Winter, I've found in the Pig KIng village, forest and the mosaic biome. I've found a couple that did nothing in the desert and grassland. Never found any in the savannah, tho.

I don't think we're supposed to be able to tell which trap it is. That's kinda the point. Lol. I figured if there was a trap in the desert it woulod be a summer trap, but that has already been disproved.

The summer trap was in the desert and I've found one in the forest in the middle of the swamp. Winter, I've found in the Pig KIng village, forest and the mosaic biome. I've found a couple that did nothing in the desert and grassland. Never found any in the savannah, tho.

I don't think we're supposed to be able to tell which trap it is. That's kinda the point. Lol. I figured if there was a trap in the desert it woulod be a summer trap, but that has already been disproved.

My problem is I can never resist free loot, even if it is a trap.

I hear ya! I usually get myself prepped for all the seasons before I decide to open one up. I'll bring summer gear with me just in case. Biggest thing seems to be the thermal stone. So not too big a deal. Gotta figure it's gonna have some of the gear you'll need in the chest. Then, depending on what season it's changing to. heat or freeze your thermal stone.

I run in the summer with the summer frest, straw hat and a chilled thermal stone. Normal winter gear. I keep my beefalo hat for the spring time so I can pick up poo without being bothered.

I hear ya! I usually get myself prepped for all the seasons before I decide to open one up. I'll bring summer gear with me just in case. Biggest thing seems to be the thermal stone. So not too big a deal. Gotta figure it's gonna have some of the gear you'll need in the chest. Then, depending on what season it's changing to. heat or freeze your thermal stone.

I run in the summer with the summer frest, straw hat and a chilled thermal stone. Normal winter gear. I keep my beefalo hat for the spring time so I can pick up poo without being bothered.

What these people said.

The trick is (if you're not wanting to risk springing the trap or spring the trap for the wrong season) to use the cold box, but do NOT open/smash or staff the chest for components.  If you're ready for both seasons, you can open the chest the day before or on the first day of the Season, and plan accordingly based on the materials in the chest. 

I had a summer trap activate on me yesterday when I opened the ice box....I deliberately hadn't opened the chest, thinking that would spring the trap.

Things went downhill rather quickly from that point......

Well, now you know box is good and chest is bad unless you plan to open it on the 1st day of a high season (and are ready for EITHER Summer or Winter.) 

Archived