Bows & Arrow Recipe Idea (I couldn't find the other topics!?)

I am certain someone else has talked about bows & arrows on this forum, but I did several searches for "bow" "bows" "arrow" and "ranged" and nothing is coming up in the search, as if the search is broken or I'm doing it wrong somehow, but I've the search before with success, so... anyway...

=-=-=-=

BOWS & ARROWS

As the paragraph above implies, I've read people wanting 'more advanced' ranged weapons.  Some even requested Steam Punk stuff.  Personally, I hope firearms never enter into Don't Starve.  I think freeze staffs and fire staffs are neat, and blow darts and boomerangs are awesome.  The boomerang is my favorite Don't Starve ranged weapon.

But, the other day I was walking and thought up this recipe for bows & arrows, and thought I'd like to share it.

I'm thinking bows & arrows should be 'expensive' but powerful.  Like take down a Tall Bird or Beefalo in one shot powerful.  However, 'expensive' so that they can be considered a luxury item or item to use in desperation.

Another part of the expense would be inventory space, in that a Bow would take up one slot of inventory, while a stack or 10 or something arrows of a type would take up another slot.  So, carrying around a Bow & Arrows would be two inventory slots, while blow darts and boomerangs are only one slot.

BOW:

Alchemy Machine

2 Saplings (not twigs, actual saplings)

8 (or so) Web

The bow can lose 1% or so per use, meaning it can last a long time but not forever, and when it breaks it becomes two twigs.

ARROW:

Alchemy Machine

1 Flint

1 Twig

1 or 2 Web

3 Blue Feather

SLEEP ARROW:

Alchemy Machine

1 Stinger

1 Twig

1 or 2 Web

3 Black Feather

FIRE ARROW:

Alchemy Machine

1 Charcoal

1 Twig

1 or 2 Web

3 Red Feather

FROST ARROW:

Prestihatitator

1 Blue Gem

1 Twig

1 or 2 Web

3 Some-Feather

SHOCK ARROW:

Prestihatitator

1 Gold

1 Volt Goat Horn

1 or 2 Web

3 Some-Feather

=-=-=-=

I thought about grass instead of web (to tie the flint and feathers to the twig) but I feel web is more appropriate for a 'luxury weapon'.

Being so expensive (and difficult) to make, this isn't the type of weapon you'd want to use on a rabbit, and you might much rather just use your spear on a Beefalo as well.

This would pretty much be a giant killing weapon, except when it takes two sapplings, four flint, four twigs, twelve or sixteen (for bow and arrows) web, and twelve feathers to kill a deerclops, you might consider using a different weapon like gun powder, or old bell.

Still, I can imagine firing an arrow and taking down a beefalo in one shot, and just imagining it feels good.

=-=-=-=

EDIT:

An advantage I just thought of though for the Bow & Arrow, when hunting Beefalo.  It could be so that if a Beefalo is killed with the Bow & Arrow, the other Beefalo don't 'know' what killed it, and thus they don't attack you.

A bow and arrow is just not unique enough for the game, this is the main reason why most of these ideas get so much flak.

Also we are limited to 3 items in a crafting recipe due to the UI, yes we can have more but it just looks crap.

Archived