Death Suggestion (Tasks to do - acts like a Cooldown)

Should there be somesort of random task system before you can revive a friend?  

32 members have voted

1. 1. Should there be somesort of random task system before you can revive a friend?

As the title says, we need a "cooldown" on the reviving of our friends while playing DST

When a friend dies, you first need to get to him.

Then you get something and it says (or you examine him and it says):

1. Kill a Mandrake while it's raining, and come back to revive me.

2. Eat 5 cooked red mushrooms, and come back to revive me.

3. Make a mining helmet, and come back to revive me.

4. Get a pig friend at night, and come back to revive me. (Bhahahahaha)

5. Hatch a tallbird egg, and come back with the Smallish Tallbird to revive me.

6. Kill 27 Eyeplants, and come back to revive me.

You get it? :grin:

Nah, I don't really like this idea.  I think it would be much better if your teamate had to do something in order to be revived, so that they don't have to sit there bored while you complete a lot of tedious tasks.  It's their fault for dying, not yours.  :p

Maybe, the dead person, should spawn in a different world and complete tasks before they get revived? Every time they die, the tasks gets harder and harder to complete? And if you die in the "task world" you die forever?

Maybe, the dead person, should spawn in a different world and complete tasks before they get revived? Every time they die, the tasks gets harder and harder to complete? And if you die in the "task world" you die forever?

There's two ways I can say this:

The Fact: SethR has said there will be a "ghost" mode where you have to reconnect to the world (or wait for a friend to bring over an amulet.) Dying and then being put into another world would cause too much of a tedious process and make people stop playing altogether.

The Easy Way:

Nope.png

"Kill 27 eyeplants to revive me!"

Me: "Eh... errrr...... I dunno, seems like a lot of work. Besides, what's in it for me? Somebody else will find you."

Or maybe:

"Make a mining helmet, and come back to revive me!"

"Why?  How does me having a mining helmet bring you back to life?"

"Do not question it, rules of the afterlife-"

"No, it's a logical question.  Why a mining helmet?  Why not...I don't know, some sort of sadist demonic ritual?"

"..."

"Just go get me a goddamn mining helmet."

Or maybe:

"No, it's a logical question.  Why a mining helmet?  Why not...I don't know, some sort of sadist demonic ritual?"

"..."

Or maybe:

"Eat 5 cooked red mushrooms, and come back to revive me."

"...What? How does me eating them help you in any way?"

"Because... well... you know."

"No, I don't. How about I stuff them in your skeleton mouth, hmm? Nom nom nom nom, yeah eat that all."

"Why are you doing this?"

"SEE HOW IT FEELS?!? SEE HOW IT FEELS?!?!?"

Or maybe:

"..."

"Eat 5 cooked red mushrooms, and come back to revive me."

"How's that supposed to help?"

"I don't know, I'm hungry."

If any task is going to revive a person, I think "Build a meat effigy" should be it.

Also, perhaps activating a new touch stone could instantly revive one dead player.

Another idea would be to require players to go insane in order to do some tricky feat resulting in pulling the ghost player out of the shadows.  Going insane causes you to be attacked by shadows, so it makes sense that this could be a way to interact with the afterlife.

Or you could combine these two things: require a player to build the effigy and then perform some ritual that requires insanity to work.  Maybe throw a life-giving amulet into the mix.  The best place to look for ways to revive a character are in the game's existing revival mechanisms.

It would be nice if dead players could control a ghost in the mean time, which could give them some sort of limited interaction with the real world.  For example, in Spelunky, dead players turn into ghosts and they can float through walls and blow on things, but that's all.  I'm not sure exactly what effect ghost players should have, though if it requires insanity to revive them, perhaps they should be able to act like the usual ghost enemy and cause insanity in the living players by haunting them.  There should be some other positive interaction though, like the ability to scout and talk.

Anyway it should probably be rather difficult to revive someone from death.  You wouldn't want it to be easy to repeat, after all.

Archived