Learning Lua Help?

As anyone who's seen any of the other help threads I've made, it's pretty obvious that my knowledge of Lua is rudimentary at best, I'd like a way to expand my knowledge and atleast get a base of how programming in general works, but the problem is, most of the resources I find are online only, and I really don't have a very stable internet connection, so reading them when I need to is nigh-impossible for me, so to get to the chase I'd like to know if any of you can refer me to any good books for learning Lua and programming in general.

If you want a book, get Programming in Lua. It's very good.

The third edition is the latest, but it's about Lua 5.2, and Don't Starve uses Lua 5.1. The differences are not that big, so you might as well use it, but if you want something completely matching Don't Starve modding get the second edition, which is about Lua 5.1.

If you want a book, get Programming in Lua. It's very good.

The third edition is the latest, but it's about Lua 5.2, and Don't Starve uses Lua 5.1. The differences are not that big, so you might as well use it, but if you want something completely matching Don't Starve modding get the second edition, which is about Lua 5.1.

A whole book is a bit much for "a base of how programming in general works" I'd say. But I myself am interested, actually. I'll find a good book and tuck in.

P.S.: Who gets the reference? :razz:

A whole book is a bit much for "a base of how programming in general works" I'd say.

Well, he specifically said "I'd like to know if any of you can refer me to any good books for learning Lua and programming in general".

"A whole book is a bit much for "a base of how programming in general works" I'd say."

Well, he specifically said "I'd like to know if any of you can refer me to any good books for learning Lua and programming in general".

That quote is priceless hahaha

I'll make sure to check out those books you recommend Simplex, I'll probably get Both, read the second edition first and then the third, making a mental note of any discrePancies between the two, I'll also see about that video as soon as I get a faster then 10kbps download speed connection it'll come in handy .....as soon as I get Minecraft

Edit is that the computer craft mod?

Archived