A little something about the food.

Hi.

I'll always start my topics with a big THANK YOU. I really like this game, and I'm always glad to see it gets better and better.

I play vanilla version, and I can't talk about RoG for I didn't play it a lot.

I think there's a little something to be done about the food.

A balanced diet...

There's already a topic about about that. We naturally tend to abuse of certain kind of meals, depending on were we settled, and wich one is easier to catch. Nothing prevents us from doing that. I think a temporary loss of the meal's positive effects would be enough to fix it.

Yum yum ! Monster meat !

Once you know the trick ("don't use two"), monster meat is far to easy to recycle in the crock pot, and, though I only killed a few pigs and, like, three beefaloos in a hundred days, I have created lots and lots of honeyed ham, thanks to monster meat. It could be prevented by a chance of getting a monster lasagna each time you cook only one Monster meat.

Unnatended crops...

In a hundred days, I barely touched my crops. That's not a big problem, the point of having crops is to have "living food", ready to serve when you need it. But then, I think we should need to defend it. Against what ? Against all kind of creatures. The rabbits could eat the carrots, the birds could eat the corn, and the pigs would go for all the bigger fruits. Running into them would be enough to make them flee. That would not allow you to leave your crops unnatended for too long. That would also prevent players from gathering all ressources too close together. Maybe that would even give a purpose to the... walls !

This is it. There are some other ideas, that players already told about, like doors or useful floors, that could improve the game, but I think the three points above really need to be fixed to keep the adventure well balanced, and I can only hope that other players will find this to be relevant.

Thanks again, for everything.

A balanced diet...

I have already answered on the topic

Yum yum ! Monster meat !

Or create more recipes and include more monster based recipes(like honey or else)

Fields of never-rotting food...

The fruit/veggie is in the plant so it never rot(in don't starve rule of time) it's logic. Same as reality(with few more tricks)

A balanced diet

Ok. Here's a link to the topic. I'll answer there. I think it's the most important of these problems.

Fields of never-rotting food

I'll change the name of this suggestion if it leads you to think that I "want" food to rot in the crops. I'd just like something that prevents the player from letting his crops completely unnattended, because, with the unlimited manure provided by a herd of beefaloo, it's too easy to make an unlimited amount of permanent food.

Yum yum ! Monster meat !

More poisonous recipes would be even greater. I was thinking of the "laziest" way to deal with this problem. But of course, this idea is good.

A balanced diet

Ok. Here's a link to the topic. I'll answer there. I think it's the most important of these problems.

I'll change the name of this suggestion if it leads you to think that I "want" food to rot in the crops. I'd just like something that prevents the player from letting his crops completely unnattended, because, with the unlimited manure provided by a herd of beefaloo, it's too easy to make an unlimited amount of permanent food.

Yum yum ! Monster meat !

More poisonous recipes would be even greater. I was thinking of the "laziest" way to deal with this problem. But of course, this idea is good.

Then, allowing bunnymen and birds to eat them would be great, same for piggies and drying racks!

I've seen the balanced diet idea, I've also heard discussions about it.  I think the game would lose its charm by adding in something like that.  I think the game simply needs more, other reasons, to explore the map instead of sitting near by your staple food supply all day... Instead of a "balanced diet" idea.

As for the random chance of getting monster lasagna, I really don't like the idea.  I like static recipes, and I think the game designers knew what they were doing when they made monster meat usable like that... Sure, sure, its easy to use monster meat once you know how, but the game throws other things at you and should keep throwing other things at you, so that food becomes the least of your worries.... And in a way, right now, it does become the least of your worries pretty quickly in the right world (while in the wrong world, you starve quickly)... But, its the 'other' things they throw at you that makes the game interesting.  Having more 'house keeping' as I call it just makes the game tedious.  If I wanted to do house keeping, I'd clean my apartment instead of playing a game.

You should play RoG.  I've never played the 'vanilla', but I can tell RoG is much more interesting.

=-=-=-=-=

As for crops being eaten by bunnies, bunny men, birds, or pigs... I like the idea.  I don't want pigmen to eat the bushes I often find by their villages, otherwise they'd probably eat them clean before I found the village... Those big villages can be life savers!  However, the idea that a pigman might eat my crop, or a bird eat a freshly planted seed, or a bunny might eat the vegetables is neat.

I think players could put a scare crow up to keep the birds away, and a wall around the garden to keep the pigmen and bunnies out.

In the end you could leave your guard alone again with little fear, but it would make things a bit more interesting in the early stages, when you're getting set up.  Building a decent wall can be a pain in the rump... at least I think so.  Of course, I've seen some players who've survived for hundreds of days build massive walls around their bases, but still... I've never found a good use for in one of my games yet... Just lived to 100 days today though.

I like the simplicity of vanilla, and I wait to be very confortable with all it's elements before starting RoG.

All you said makes sense, and that's why I need to precise that I dont want enormous changes.

About the balanced diet, it could be a very little loss of regeneration, just enough to make you prefer another meal for some time, but not enough to kill you if you have only one.

About the monster lasagna... I think a little more risk in this game wouldn't be to much. Some recipes already are random, and I think there should be "a little bit of danger", cooking with monster meat. That could only be like a 5% chance.

About the animals stealing food, I couldn't agree more. About the berries, we already have the gobbler, and he does a perfect job. Hounds and Walruses could be distracted by your dying racks, allowing you to trap them. Pigs would eat Eggplants, Dragon Fruit, Pumpkin and Durian (and become werepigs eating Durian), and, as I suggested, corn would be left to birds, and carrots to bunnies.

It's the grown up vegetables that need to be endangered, I think, not the freshly planted seeds.

Archived