Maxwell (Character) Guide?

Thinking of trying out Maxwell, but I'm not sure about him. What is the best way to use the starting items you get? Should I be using the sarting 4 nightmare fuel on Shadow Clones (you know what I mean), or should I just save them up? Best places to make a base? How to not die with only 75 health?

I've only played him a few times, and his armour/sword are really good - I found they offset his low health well.  And not having to worry about sanity was fabulous.  Not sure about the shadows - I didn't find them that useful the couple of times I tried them out.

What is the best way to use the starting items you get?

Personnally, I try not using them (Night Armour / Dark Sword), and craft a spear and a log suit instead, to save them for later (especially for giants). I also use them to drop Maxwell's sanity when I need nightamre fuel.

Should I be using the sarting 4 nightmare fuel ?

It's up to you, but don't forget they only last 2.5 days (if I remember correctly). I don't really see a use for them in early game (chopping/mining faster seems a waste of fuel to me, using them to kill creatures is useless when you know how to kite).

Best places to make a base?

A Maxwell base is like any other character's base, so it depends on your playstyle/map.

How to not die with only 75 health?

If you travel with a backpack, you better equip a football helmet. If you don't, armor + football helmet :grin: (we never know !)

Healing salves / honey poultices are really recommended too :)

All these answers are totally subjectives of course, but I hope it will help you :-)

Personally Maxwell is my favorite. I do not have ROG so I am not sure how helpful I can be but for me I hold onto the armor and sword unless I really need it, in the mean time you can set up a dark flower field like I did...keep in mind I don't have ROG. That is one way to get nightmare fuel. I don't use the codex because honestly I haven't had a need to and plus it was only useful for me if I wanted to go insane. The best thing about him that I really love is I never worry about going insane, even doing it on purpose can be a challenge. I love the consistent sanity perk. I am sure in the DLC its easier to obtain nightmare fuel and really that with reeds is all you need to have a never ending supply of armor and sword which btw deal a great amount of damage. 

I would save the armor and sword for giants and tough monsters and save the nightmare fuel to make the shadow manipulator.

But my advice when playing as maxwell is to ALWAYS keep armor in inventory or even wear armor all the time if possible.

Also, consider making a base near some source of protection (beefalo,pigs,etc).

Again Maxwell is also my favourite character, and like the people above me, the Night armour and Dark sword really help out but save them for giant battles also personally in my opinion, the puppets are not worth it, if you like them use it but be wear of the permanent sanity drop (until puppet dies in 2.5 days.)

Archived