Oops...

I found one of those traps where there's an icebox, thermometer and box with stuff - I left it alone because last time I opened the box and got instant Winter.

But then I reached day 37 in Winter, and I remembered it and thought, 'Oh I know, I'll go and get the things from that box now, since it's already Winter'.  Of course what I didn't realise was that if you trigger it in Winter now, you get instant Summer!!

So I'm standing there with all my Winter gear, totally unprepared and overheating. 

Luckily the box has a Summer Frest and umbrella and I just realised I can put my thermal stone in the ice box and hope it gets cold before I die of the heat - even with the umbrella and Summer Frest I'm still overheating.  I haven't had a Summer yet so I was going to spend Spring preparing. :nightmare:

Any tips, or words of condolences? 

And does anyone know if that's it now, or if this fake Summer will just last a certain length of time and then I'll go back to the season I was in?

Wow, I didn't know that winter trap now can trigger Summer if you activate it in Winter... O_O Thanks for the tip, I'll keep it in mind... we feel sorry for your char, but at least you warned the community, aprecciate that, so cheers for you:)

Wow, I didn't know that winter trap now can trigger Summer if you activate it in Winter... O_O Thanks for the tip, I'll keep it in mind... we feel sorry for your char, but at least you warned the community, aprecciate that, so cheers for you:)

Thanks, and I always assume everyone else knows everything, and that I'm just behind. ^^

Unluckily now it's summer, not fake summer at all.

And that wasn't a Winter trap, Was a summer trap :wilson_goodjob:

Ah well, at least that means I don't have to worry about Deerclops coming along and destroying my camp then, which was my biggest worry.  At least not till next Winter.

I missed Spring though - I was looking forward to Spring.  Got my wet weather gear all ready back at my camp.

Ah well, at least that means I don't have to worry about Deerclops coming along and destroying my camp then, which was my biggest worry.  At least not till next Winter.

I missed Spring though - I was looking forward to Spring.  Got my wet weather gear all ready back at my camp.

Well, it is still too soon to relax though - Dragonfly is a big jerk too, burning everything to ashes and following you around like a dog. And you can't even attack it if you don't have good heat protecting gear - the thing causes overheating nearly instantaneously. I suggest being ready to use pan flute\gunpowder strategy or running around in marshes, until tentacles manage to finish it off...

Well, it is still too soon to relax though - Dragonfly is a big jerk too, burning everything to ashes and following you around like a dog. And you can't even attack it if you don't have good heat protecting gear - the thing causes overheating nearly instantaneously. I suggest being ready to use pan flute\gunpowder strategy or running around in marshes, until tentacles manage to finish it off...

Maybe I'll stay where I am for now then - I'm near a marsh, and I have a small base here in the desert, with cacti, rocks & gold and hound mounds for monster meat.  And the set piece with the head was here, with the basic farms, so I can grow some veg and make meatballs.

I managed to build an alchemy engine and craft an endothermic fire pit, and mine some ice, and I hammered the icebox to reconstruct it here, as it was much nearer than my main base is so I think I can get by till Autumn.

Do things start smouldering and burn even when you're not around?  I'm worried about my main base since there are no ice flingomatics.

Maybe I'll stay where I am for now then - I'm near a marsh, and I have a small base here in the desert, with cacti, rocks & gold and hound mounds for monster meat.  And the set piece with the head was here, with the basic farms, so I can grow some veg and make meatballs.

I managed to build an alchemy engine and craft an endothermic fire pit, and mine some ice, and I hammered the icebox to reconstruct it here, as it was much nearer than my main base is so I think I can get by till Autumn.

Do things start smouldering and burn even when you're not around?  I'm worried about my main base since there are no ice flingomatics.

No, smoldering only occurs when object is on screen. And one advice - 1 meat + 3 Twigs in crock pot = Kabobs, which restores ~37 hunger and even some health. Very useful recipe, as you can utilize your monster meat supply and twigs regrow whole year and do not need fertilizers. Damn, they nerfed it, while I was looking away:( Too bad.

I guess after nerf it is better to stick to Meat Balls, as they restore nearly twice the Hunger and require only 1 more veggie\berry. Unless you are really short on berries and wish to save up on using one more. Now every time you ise more than 1 twig you get Wet Goop which restores nothing at all.

I guess after nerf it is better to stick to Meat Balls, as they restore nearly twice the Hunger and require only 1 more veggie\berry. Unless you are really short on berries and wish to save up on using one more. Now every time you ise more than 1 twig you get Wet Goop which restores nothing at all.

Forget it, how can you junk berries...You put them on the floor, wait for a buzzard, kill him, repeat and make turkey dinner who restore 20hp bonus...

Forget it, how can you junk berries...You put them on the floor, wait for a buzzard, kill him, repeat and make turkey dinner who restore 20hp bonus...

Well, yeah you can just use it as bait and have yourself a Turkey Dinner. Still in the old DS Kabobs were unbeatable. You could feed of spiders and twigs for eternity.

Ah, you use berries as bait for the buzzards - I'll try that.  I was just running after them, and they fly away. :lemo:

I'm up to day 51, saw the Dragonfly while I was in the swamp collecting spider silks, but I don't know where he went after that.  Seems my base is safe though. 

Considering I had no preparation I seem to be doing ok, and this was probably a better place to sit out the Summer than where I planned to.

I recommend the desert - cacti available, plenty of stone and gold nearby, tumbleweed to get twigs and grass, buzzards if you know how to catch them, and if it's next to a swamp like mine is you get spiders and a good place to face hound attacks too with the tentacles.  I got a blue gem from the last hound attack, and managed to get enough materials together to craft the hat machine (forget the name) and made a Chilled Amulet since my Summer Frest was down to 6% durability and I don't have the things to make another one.

Just realised I could make a Floral Shirt quite easily though so I'll do that and save the Amulet.

My Summer started on day 37 or 38, so I'm not sure when it will end but hopefully only a few more days and then I will have lovely Autumn and move back to my main base to see how it's been getting on without me.

hey, took that(sorry, i translate it quickly with translator) : The same goes for summer, they made a generation completed to survive during summer:

In every world, a desert will always have an (only) oasis which contains:

Chestnut trees, the usual things(tricks) of a meadow, and especially, at least 2 or 3 puddles (useful to make froggie bunwich (1 thigh of frog and 0.5 vegetables, 20 hp), fish sticks (1 fishes and 1 stick, 40 hp)).
The fact that the oasis is rather small allows to need that of A flingomatique while having no concern(marigold) for the rest because the only things which could burn would be dead trees (better burned than normal), thorny bushes (always useful in summer because they not déssechent not) and cactus (quite enough numerous in the surroundings).
And think of the passage to return one or two moles near his(her,its) base(basis) for one Little food

And also, the desert brings many advantages for summer: 
3 things above the cactus, allows to increase its moral health (cooked [15 morale] or if you made a guacamole [1 flesh of cactus, 1 mole], 33 morale) and the flower of cactus gives of the life (in summer you always obtain both)
The flower of cactus allows to make an easy recipe(takings) (1 flower of catus and 0.5 vegetables [of which the flesh of cactus]) which restores 40 hp and refreshes(cools). And to make the best jacket for summer.
Rocks for endothermic wells of fire(light) (very expensive stone)
Bones to fertilize massively
Tumbleweeds to replace the grass and the dried out sticks (besides ALL OTHER objects useful as by examples bays(berries) or wings of butterfly). 
Mounts of wolf to have Gemstones of fire(light), the food and teeth of wolf (useful is not it?:K)

Electric goats(tackles) for some meat and some electric milk (very useful to make the ice(mirror,ice cream) [1 milk or butter, 1 ice(mirror,ice cream) and 1 of the honey / hive] which restores 33 of the morale and refreshes(cools))
Buzzards for the almost free infinite food (and very useful drumstick in combination(overall) with the bays(berries) of tumbleweeds to make the turkey dinner [2 drumstick, 1 bay(berry) and some meat] which restores 20 hp and 75 of the hunger).
And FULL of empty(blank) space with almost nothing to burn to have a walk without danger during summer and fight against the dragonfly...

By hoping to have given the ideas to cross(spend) his(her,its) summer more easily.
And to make an optimized base(basis);)

this game bypass frontiers...

Well, I did grasp main point of that post. Was it a post by devs or it was just a survival tip by someone else? Main thing is that Desert can sustain nearly all your character's needs without the need to leave it, i think.

Well, I did grasp main point of that post. Was it a post by devs or it was just a survival tip by someone else? Main thing is that Desert can sustain nearly all your character's needs without the need to leave it, i think.

we wrote it :-)

And yes, it's the main thing...(and we wrote something else on "why the birchnut forest is made for the main base?" but we don't explain all so we need to improve it...)

Archived