Don't Starve Together - Multiplayer Mods/Gamemodes

There are plenty of mods available already in the current game, allowing for larger inventory, new creatable items, new characters, alterations to things, and much more. That is basically the base for mods, since it has been so limited due to the fact that this game has been single player for so long.

Now that we know DST is officially going to be released in the late summer, this leaves room for advancement in mods. Instead of modifying your screen with a Minimap HUD, or having a Smart Inventory Sorter, we can have mods for game modes.

However the Multiplayer is accessed, whether it be via Don't Starve Launch Screen, Single Player, or DLC; it brings to thought the different game modes, or how DST will be in its entirety. Will it be a standard game with just 2+ players? Will it be a competition to last a certain number of days? A Resource Race?

My point being, with the release of Multiplayer in DST, there will be no limit to the creative minds of us the players.

Here are some of my theoretical Mods/Game modes:

(Give Feedback, Discuss the topic, or even suggest your ideas too!)

- 4 player Mashup

4 separate islands, one player on each island. After a set number of days (maybe 10, 30, 60, etc.) there is an earthquake and the islands connect, allowing for free-for-all.

-Food Fight

1v1 Game mode where both players start off with 0 hunger, and the first one to fill their bellies win.

-Resource Race

A 10, 15, or 30 day Game mode, where at the beginning of every day there is a different set number of resources you must collect, and deposit into a bin. Winner is awarded 1 point for every victory.

-Standard

Both players spawn together, foraging items and surviving.

-Find the Mandrake

Both players spawn separate from each other, and there is a wandering mandrake. First one to find and eat the mandrake wins.

That's all I have for now,

Thank you for reading,

I hope to hear from you :)

-Octavio

One controls the world and the other tries to survive in it. That would be interesting.

I could think of another gruesome mode.. The speedy death mode. The person who dies first, wins. :)

-Food Fight

1v1 Game mode where both players start off with 0 hunger, and the first one to fill their bellies win.

Hm... That wouldn't be the best idea if it was incorporated with the random world generation. Especially since 0 hunger drains your health immensely by the long run. Maybe there could be some mode in which various mobs spawn, and the players are required to hunt and fill their bellies without dying? Something among those lines, I suppose.

One controls the world and the other tries to survive in it. That would be interesting.

I could think of another gruesome mode.. The speedy death mode. The person who dies first, wins. :-)

Hm... That wouldn't be the best idea if it was incorporated with the random world generation. Especially since 0 hunger drains your health immensely by the long run. Maybe there could be some mode in which various mobs spawn, and the players are required to hunt and fill their bellies without dying? Something among those lines, I suppose.

Well as i stated they are all theoretical. Its a mod though, so you can be with 0 Hunger and not loose health. Anyways, It's just an idea for a quick 5-15 minutes. not meant to be a regular Standard game.

The speedy death mode sounds a bit redundant, simply because you will need to find the closest aggressive mob; Attack a Beefalo or Spider, and just do nothing until you die.

Perhaps there could be alterations, where you need to die first, but through specific ways.

For example, it could be randomly generated to die differently every time the world spawns, maybe via Hunger, Darkness, Freezing, Overheating, Bunnymen, or even Pigs.

I do like your first suggestion however, VERY impressive idea, i like it very much and it would be extremely fun to play!

Cool ideas! Thought of some others

Race to reach Them- Whoever finishes Adventuremode first wins!

Scavenger Hunt- Find an random assortment of items, above ground and under ground!

Boss Rush- You are given a selection of armor and weapons to choose from and once you're ready you  face all the boss mobs in the game. You can do this race style or CO-OP

Vs. Shadow Maxwell- Remember the Shadow Maxwell boss fight from the puzzle of "All Well That Maxwell". He's back and balenced as ever! Get some friends and take him down!

Cool ideas! Thought of some others

Race to reach Them- Whoever finishes Adventuremode first wins!

Scavenger Hunt- Find an random assortment of items, above ground and under ground!

Boss Rush- You are given a selection of armor and weapons to choose from and once you're ready you  face all the boss mobs in the game. You can do this race style or CO-OP

Vs. Shadow Maxwell- Remember the Shadow Maxwell boss fight from the puzzle of "All Well That Maxwell". He's back and balenced as ever! Get some friends and take him down!

Something like "The Hunger Games"?

No one game can be more appropriate than Don't starve!

@AquaAtia,

I like your ideas!

"Race to Reach THEM": Sounds like it could take a lengthy amount of time.

"Scavanger Hunt": Honestly my personal favorite of your suggestions, sounds fun!

"Boss Rush" - I haven't fought any boss mobs yet so i wouldnt know.

"Shadow Maxwell" - Ditto ^

@Problematicr,

HOW WAS THIS NOT THOUGHT OF! Genius!

"Don't Starve - Hunger Games"

The relation is there!

Anyways, I think it would be very nice to play with a  large base of players, although Klei announced that they will have support for up to 4 players. I would say they need to up the count to maybe 8-12 players before this could become a fun gamemode!

I was thinking something like Mario Party styled minigames that could be done with a Bomberman-like point system (First to reach enough points wins)

Gobbler Catch: Players are put in an arena with berry bushes that spawn gobblers on a timer. There are also a number of things to help trap the gobbler, such as random red mushrooms, a 1-time-use Tooth Trap, or a walking cane. You score points by picking up the drumstick that the gobbler drops (which they will always drop 1 and nothing else).

You win when either the time runs out or someone gets 10 drumsticks.

Ice Tag: One player starts out with a modified Ice Staff so that is never runs out of durability and the player may move 5% faster than default while holding it. The goal is to freeze all of the players before a timer runs out. The frozen players can be saved by the other players if they "tag" each other. This will play the punching empty-handed animation and the player will un-freeze.

If all players are frozen, the Ice Staff man wins, if the timer runs out, everybody else wins.

(I always thought it would be kind of fun to freeze other players when they least expect it)

That's all I have for the moment.

Most of these are basically luck based minigames.  30 days is 240 minutes, or 4 hours.  Why would anyone want to spend that much time for a gimmicky minigame that would take significant dev time to program?

IF for some reason they decide there should be an alternate style of gameplay other than co-op, why wouldn't they go straight to hunger games?  I can't imagine a pvp mode that would thematically and gameplay wise make more sense.

I could think of another gruesome mode.. The speedy death mode. The person who dies first, wins. :-)

I believe there was a thread discussing a sort of King of the Hill and Maxwell Mode minigame before, it was an interesting concept: http://forums.kleientertainment.com/topic/36092-maxwell-mode/

Lemming Mode would be humorous to see how quickly people can kill themselves, either if its by eating a bunch of red mushrooms and/or monster meat, jumping face first into a tentacle filled swamp, etc.

I find that with the release of multiplayer, these minigames, no matter how unique and different, will be possible. all players would need is a downloaded Gamemode (Mod). Everything posted is only theory. Nobody knows what will be released, this forum post is to discuss any possible Gamemodes, and think up fun, creative ideas.

Archived