How loyal is a hungry Pig?

Alot of the topics flying around right now don't really seem to be that relevant, so I thought I'd heighten the discourse. 

My concern is when I go into a pig village and feed meat to a few assistants, then head back to my friends who also happen to be stocked with meat and decide to feed them who do they follow?  

I would think maybe better meat gets greater loyalty, though sometimes I anticipate that passing a few extra choppers/fighters off to someone else who may need them more, or possibly be looking to usurp them and throw a coup. 

This will just cause more tension between players. "OI!! THAT'S MY PIG!!" I can only imagine the abuse that will be thrown around for "stealing" others pigs.

I would think pigs are loyal to the first player who fed them. Any meat they get fed from any member of the team, just increases the "loyalty" time.

Someone posed the idea that pigs only follow the first person who fed them.

Maybe they should also refrain from eating monster meat that was dropped by a player.

Edit: Oh what do you know. The person who posed the idea ninja'd me.  :wilson_ninja:

Someone posed the idea that pigs only follow the first person who fed them.

Maybe they should also refrain from eating monster meat that was dropped by a player.

Edit: Oh what do you know. The person who posed the idea ninja'd me. :wilson_ninja:

Lol. This is the first time I suggested it. If there was someone who mentioned what I said before, in another thread, no discredit to them. I just saw this thread and the first thing that came to mind was what I said in post #2.

I would think pigs are loyal to the first player who fed them. Any meat they get fed from any member of the team, just increases the "loyalty" tim

though sometimes I anticipate that passing a few extra choppers/fighters off to someone else who may need them more,

How about, loyal, unless you as the pigmaster could select a pig and hand it off to another player, making things much more dynamic.

How about, loyal, unless you as the pigmaster could select a pig and hand it off to another player, making things much more dynamic.

Good idea...BUT! There can only be ONE Pigmaster - The Pig King!

I suppose we can put the Pig King to use by asking him to transfer loyalty of a pig to another player. You have to admit pigs are kind of stupid in this game. Watch how they fight. They literally kite into full on attacks. Each time my pig retreated then went back in to attack a Deerclops, the Deerclops literally backhanded him where he came from. Pigs are too stupid to make decisions unless fed. Even then they fail at following you. How many times have you had a bunch of pigs follow you, only to get sidetracked by seeds or some random monster.

Actually, since we're talking about pig loyalty here, who here also thinks that since pigs will attack spiders of their own accord while in tow that they should also attack Webber on sight even if another player has befriended them? Likewise, I kind of think that if a non Webber PC stands too close to one of his spider followers, it'll agro.

Actually, since we're talking about pig loyalty here, who here also thinks that since pigs will attack spiders of their own accord while in tow that they should also attack Webber on sight even if another player has befriended them? Likewise, I kind of think that if a non Webber PC stands too close to one of his spider followers, it'll agro.

Things will get too messy and there wouldn't be any point in feeding monsters to act as followers if all they'll do is kill each other. I think Webber's spiders should only aggro friendlies (including followers) only if we instruct the spiders to. Same with any any other player and pig followers.

If I'm not mistaken, just how Wendy and Abigail work.

"I love friend, and only friend!

Aside from Webber with his ability to befriend spiders, there's a few followers one can obtain like the pigmen, bunnymen, rock lobsters and catcoons in the RoG dlc. These followers will fight for you and help you out in other different ways aswell. In order to befriend these followers you need specific items. Now, when one player befriends let's say a pigman, the pigman will follow that player untill he hasn't been fed enough. Even when someone else gives him a piece of meat, this will not change who is his follower. Alternatively other players don't even have the option to feed him anything, since he only wants food from his ugly monkey man friend! This would eliminate potential griefing (spamming food so the pigman keeps on denying it and not move anymore, or feeding him monster meat to turn him into a werepig.. the latter still somehow appeals to my devious mind in a PvP setting). Another change for both SP and MP would be that followers no longer eat up stuff dropped on the ground. They only accept the food their friend and master provides." 

A debatably delicious copy pasta from my DST suggestions thread.

Pigmen should be loyal to the first person that fed them, and no longer be distracted by food lying around or other players feeding them (exception would be in PvP, to spice things up).

Things will get too messy and there wouldn't be any point in feeding monsters to act as followers if all they'll do is kill each other. I think Webber's spiders should only aggro friendlies (including followers) only if we instruct the spiders to. Same with any any other player and pig followers.

If I'm not mistaken, just how Wendy and Abigail work.

But that's not how pig friends work. Even if you didn't want them to attack something for some reason, be it that you actually wanted to keep those monsters around or the attack would be futile and a waste of a good pig, should you wander in such a way as to bring your pig friends too close to something they hate, they'll auto-agro regardless of your wishes. This sort of clunkiness is by design, to make you think as a player how to circumvent such behaviors to keep your hired help actually helpful.

So instead of having the lazy route be viable where Webber joins the charge with his spider underlings along side with you, your friends, and their pigs, either Webber has to lead the initial charge or Webber has to come in as the cavalry. Once a mob has been assigned a target, they'll keep at it until one of them dies, that's not the problem, it's just making sure the target assigned is what you want dead and not a friendly.

Game's an uncompromising wilderness survival game, let's keep it that way. Let's make it challenging to keep both effective if one must use both spiders and pigs at the same time. Not impossible to do, not even that difficult to pull off really, just something that takes a wee bit more modicum of thought.

But that's not how pig friends work. Even if you didn't want them to attack something for some reason, be it that you actually wanted to keep those monsters around or the attack would be futile and a waste of a good pig, should you wander in such a way as to bring your pig friends too close to something they hate, they'll auto-agro regardless of your wishes. This sort of clunkiness is by design, to make you think as a player how to circumvent such behaviors to keep your hired help actually helpful.

So instead of having the lazy route be viable where Webber joins the charge with his spider underlings along side with you, your friends, and their pigs, either Webber has to lead the initial charge or Webber has to come in as the cavalry. Once a mob has been assigned a target, they'll keep at it until one of them dies, that's not the problem, it's just making sure the target assigned is what you want dead and not a friendly.

Game's an uncompromising wilderness survival game, let's keep it that way. Let's make it challenging to keep both effective if one must use both spiders and pigs at the same time. Not impossible to do, not even that difficult to pull off really, just something that takes a wee bit more modicum of thought.

You're saying if Player A has pig followers they should attack Webber and his spider followers if Player A gets too close to Webber?

You're saying if Player A has pig followers they should attack Webber and his spider followers if Player A gets too close to Webber?

Oh yes, definitely. Just like if Player A ventured too close to any other spider with pig friends. Even if Webber has no spider followers, but ventures too closely to Player A's pigs? Those pigs should immediately start chasing Webber down.

Webber asks, "Why do they hate me?"

Pigs say, "NO LIKE SPIDER!", "SCARY SPIDER!", and "SPIDER BAD!"

Pigs don't say, "Why this here Webber fellow seems like jolly good company! Certainly better than that unwashed rabble over at that spider den around the bend. Tally ho, old boy, tally ho!"

So does that mean that Webber becomes not viable? Nope. Just have a 2 pronged attack or a pincer attack instead of a single cohesive force.

Perhaps and this is inspired by the character from the story and rock paper shotguns preview post, why not make a conch shell dropped by some creature in the caves.  When blown it would attract the attention of any nearby pigs (similar to oneman band but with the added effect of being required to pass it or drop it after its used.) 

Archived