Water Gathering and Thirst

Hey guys I've been playing Don't Starve for a bit and I know the game is Don't Starve and there is already a lot to keep track of but I feel like a Thirst/ Water system is missing. So hear me out.

I've been coming up with some concepts for the mechanic. It would be a minor drawback mechanic like wetness is.

Vegetables and Fruits will give adequite water on their own so you don't have to focus on just getting water. Which will balance having to keep track of another Meter/status back.

Things you could do with a Water Gathering Mechanic

Make steam engines for Chainsaws, Electric plows, and possibly vehicles.

Gather water for your own ice production, no more having to find glaciers.

Staying quienched during the summer will allow you to stay in the heat longer without a thermal stone.

Water based recipies

Wring out your wet clothes/ supplies to increase sanity and water.

Would bring a new element to the desert biomes with cactus berries having the highest water content

Create Alcohol with old and rotting fruit.

New content to accomodate Thirst patch

New Structures/ Crafting
Rain Catcher- When it rains gathers water. Has to be distilled over a fire to be ready to drink. Drinking dirty water decreses sanity.

Distillery- Combine rotting fruits and water to create Alcohol
Alcohol-  During the duration of the effect you get more insanity loss from normal sources of insanity loss but day time moves faster, you move faster, and take less damage.

Alcohol can also be given to Humanoids such as pigs for varying effects.

Juicer- Grinds fruits and Vegatebles into juice. Provides more quench than eating fruits and vegetables by themselves. Can be put into an icebox to make Fruit Pops that will cool you off during summer when eaten.

Clothes Wringer- Wrings out your clothes giving you water. Gives more water based on wetness.

Steam Engine- Can be combined with a Tool to provide an automatic version, I.e. Combined with an Axe makes a chainsaw, combined with a PickAxe makes a Jack-Hammer. Can also use to make small robots to fight/harvest for you.

New Fauna:

Citrus Trees

Orange, Lemon, Lime combine with water to make lemonade, Limeade, and Orange Juice

This is a WIP so please bear with me. What do you guys think about adding this to the game? I know the game is hard enough, but I think this would add some depth to the game with the steam engine at the expense of having to keep track of another ailment.  Also I know Winfred woulnd't be able to function as well with this idea so please leave her out of discussion for now.

Vegetables and Fruits will give adequite water on their own so you don't have to focus on just getting water. Which will balance having to keep track of another Meter/status back.

Things you could do with a Water Gathering Mechanic

Make steam engines for Chainsaws, Electric plows, and possibly vehicles.

Gather water for your own ice production, no more having to find glaciers.

Staying quienched during the summer will allow you to stay in the heat longer without a thermal stone.

Water based recipies

Wring out your wet clothes/ supplies to increase sanity and water.

Would bring a new element to the desert biomes with cactus berries having the highest water content

Create Alcohol with old and rotting fruit.

New content to accomodate Thirst patch

New Structures/ Crafting

Rain Catcher- When it rains gathers water. Has to be distilled over a fire to be ready to drink. Drinking dirty water decreses sanity.

Distillery- Combine rotting fruits and water to create Alcohol

Alcohol-  During the duration of the effect you get more insanity loss from normal sources of insanity loss but day time moves faster, you move faster, and take less damage.

Alcohol can also be given to Humanoids such as pigs for varying effects.

Juicer- Grinds fruits and Vegatebles into juice. Provides more quench than eating fruits and vegetables by themselves. Can be put into an icebox to make Fruit Pops that will cool you off during summer when eaten.

Clothes Wringer- Wrings out your clothes giving you water. Gives more water based on wetness.

Steam Engine- Can be combined with a Tool to provide an automatic version, I.e. Combined with an Axe makes a chainsaw, combined with a PickAxe makes a Jack-Hammer. Can also use to make small robots to fight/harvest for you.

New Fauna:

Citrus Trees

Orange, Lemon, Lime combine with water to make lemonade, Limeade, and Orange Juice

This is a WIP so please bear with me. What do you guys think about adding this to the game? I know the game is hard enough, but I think this would add some depth to the game with the steam engine at the expense of having to keep track of another ailment.  Also I know Winfred woulnd't be able to function as well with this idea so please leave her out of discussion for now.

Interesting

Instead of 'Orange, Lemon, and Lime' = just make a single Citrus Fruit

This would require only one new tree

Alcohol actually dehydrates you so really not much desire for it.

"Vegetables and Fruits will give adequite water on their own so you don't have to focus on just getting water. Which will balance having to keep track of another Meter/status back."

Then I would see no need to build a rain catcher etc. since I don't need to collect water.

Might be better to simply let players harvest water from ponds.

So mainly you are introducing new food items to help keep you hydrated (or cooled off.)

Dirty Water, Pure Water, & Juice

Dirty Water can be 'cooked' to produce pure water.

Instead of 'juicer' just make a cookpot recipe that changes fruits or 'citrus' into juice

the roll of 'fruit pops' is already filled by the watermeloncicle

Steam engines - an interesting concept, but what would the 'automatic' version do?

would they be more durable, or simply do the task faster?

Can I combine a luxury/gold version as well?

And if they were to be implemented, then why not simply use diodes and make electric versions?

=-=-

Overall Thoughts:

Citrus Trees/Fruits = Yes

Juice = Yes

Water = Don't see the need, but Yes if made gatherable without new inventions

Steam Engine = Not much need - if 'automatic' tools are desired, just use diodes .

I'd be interested in seeing the new trees and fruits, it would be a lot less work to put in initially, and you can always expand it further once you get those developed.

Archived