Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Please be aware that the content of this thread may be outdated and no longer applicable.

jangofet

That Chester Bug

jangofet    45

I'm just wondering, has that bug where chester is attacked by spiders when you are playing as webber been fixed yet? I really need that extra space, but i need the spiders too...

Ridley    610

Only friendly spiders leave him alone. Put some monster meat in him, and when the spiders attack, feed them the monster meat.

9wpuv    135

I'm just wondering, has that bug where chester is attacked by spiders when you are playing as webber been fixed yet? I really need that extra space, but i need the spiders too...

yup, that's a feature not a bug

thestigma    1

It seems like that mechanic is a bit annoying more than anything (for webber spesifically). Spiders generally aren't much of a threat to chester anyway as he regens so fast. It just messes up things for webber in his base if you decide to cohabitate closely with your spider brothers because you end up having to kill them to keep them off chester. It would be nice if you had a way to make chester non-aggroable vs spiders. It makes sense for non-webber characters that spiders would attack chester, but for webber it just gets annoying and you have to micromanage chester a lot.

Maybe putting spider-glands into all slots of chester could transform him into "spider-chester" or "monster-chester" just like you do with ice-chester or shadow-chester. The transformation would make him a "monster" and get aggro from the same things that webber does. Getting the spider-glands is easier than ice-chester or shadow-chester, but it precludes you from using the more useful transformations so it seems like a balanced deal.

-Stigma

emrextreme    53

It's not a bug to be fixed. That's how it's supposed to be since chester is not a spider.

Ed: Yet i like this idea;

Maybe putting spider-glands into all slots of chester could transform him into "spider-chester" or "monster-chester" just like you do with ice-chester or shadow-chester. 

jangofet    45

Stigma's idea is a good one.

I really do hate having a Chester but never being able to use him because every night spiders mob him. I leave him about 2 screens away from my base, but when a spider actually somehow finds him, it's just really annoying. The spiders just attack Chester ALL.NIGHT.LONG. with that sound the spider attack makes.

XirmiX    754

To be honest it's annoying that spiders that are not loyal attack Webber. Having Webber is a big disadvantage and you're forced to kill spiders most of the time.

oCrapaCreeper    3227

That's why it's usually smart to put your spider dens a few screen away rather than right inside of your base. Also makes it so that you don't have to deal with the insuperable Spider Queen apocalypse when the dens grow to much.

thestigma    1

That's why it's usually smart to put your spider dens a few screen away rather than right inside of your base. Also makes it so that you don't have to deal with the insuperable Spider Queen apocalypse when the dens grow to much.

Queens no longer reduce webbers sanity as of one of the latest updates though, so Webber is now just as cool with them as with normal spiders now (like was intended all along). Therefore there should be no problem with having a lot of queens around your base. In fact it just adds a lot of protection and higher tier nests. The only problem I foresee is that dens might spread so much that they actually end up taking space you need - but you can always just have your spiders tear down the offending den for you.

-Stigma

oCrapaCreeper    3227

Queens no longer reduce webbers sanity as of one of the latest updates though, so Webber is now just as cool with them as with normal spiders now (like was intended all along). Therefore there should be no problem with having a lot of queens around your base. In fact it just adds a lot of protection and higher tier nests. The only problem I foresee is that dens might spread so much that they actually end up taking space you need - but you can always just have your spiders tear down the offending den for you.

-Stigma

The problem with spider queens is if that the dens are at least 4 dens in one area, the queen won't drop a tier one den and you HAVE to kill her in order to get it back (Which is problematic when multiple spawn at once, and every spider on screen turns on you when you attack one). I'm not sure of the exact distance required for dens to be spread out, but it's pretty large.

9wpuv    135

The problem with spider queens is if that the dens are at least 4 dens in one area, the queen won't drop a tier one den and you HAVE to kill her in order to get it back (Which is problematic when multiple spawn at once, and every spider on screen turns on you when you attack one). I'm not sure of the exact distance required for dens to be spread out, but it's pretty large.

12 silk, 6 spider glands, 6 papyrus

9wpuv    135

Collecting 24 reeds for every time a spider queen pops up is quite annoying.

... you can make & upgrade spider dens... what more do you want?

oCrapaCreeper    3227

... you can make & upgrade spider dens... what more do you want?

That recipe really only helps once you start getting a ridiculous amount of reeds. Silk and Glands is no problem, but in early game you're not going to be crafting that many spider dens unless you camp the swamp every time they grow, not counting winter. So the most effective method at that point is finding natural dens, upgrading them to tier 3, then breaking them.