Wear armor and a backpack?

I don't know if anyone has said this yet, but I would greatly appreciate the ability to have those extra backpack slots and not die in two hits at the same time... Maybe to keep it from being too overpowered, there could be two accessory slots? Then the player would have to choose between armor/backpack , armor/amulet , or backpack/amulet. It was just a thought though... >.>

I don't know if anyone has said this yet, but I would greatly appreciate the ability to have those extra backpack slots and not die in two hits at the same time... Maybe to keep it from being too overpowered, there could be two accessory slots? Then the player would have to choose between armor/backpack , armor/amulet , or backpack/amulet. It was just a thought though... >.>

Ah... yes. As you can imagine this is a common suggestion. Of course I view it more as a challenge. For me I always carry a log suit and wear a football cap. If I hear the hounds I simply drop the backpack on the ground and equip the log suit and a weapon. There's always more than enough time. The amulet on the other hand... well, that's a personal choice. If you're worried you will die then run away from combat (using the AWSD keys) and use the LMB to auto-equip it. I carry an amulet in my inventory for just such a case... of course I heard that some players are revived just to die again. :)

In short, I'm fine with the hard choices the game forces us to make. And to be honest, the choices aren't all THAT hard... yet.

This sort of came up in another similar thread

http://forums.kleientertainment.com/showthread.php?3698-A-quot-Back-quot-Slot

To paraphrase what I said there

At the moment you don't really have to choose between the two, you can simply carry both and swap when the time comes.

Me, personally, am not a fan of that. I'd rather be forced to make the hard decision between the two.

I do like your suggestion though

A backpack, logsuit, and amulet are incomparables. Only being able to choose one affects playstyle.

If you could wear all of them it would change the game from choose your strategy to, the strategy is collect all these things to not die.

You might just be conditioned to being able to use the most powerful equipment from things like rpgs, where you have a lot of slots for equipment. Don't Starve only has three and I think it fits the game.

I think the equipping thing is fine as it is. However like said before me, the amulet should have a separate slot, though that brings up the question of will there be other amulets/similar accessories to fill there eventually, which starts to get into territory where I'm of the opinion that it becomes a different game. On the topic of extra inventory slots though, I was talking to a friend a while back about how there could be a character who has the perk of having some extra slots. We figured he'd be some sort of a pack-rat (and possibly a thief) and will also pick up nearby items automatically (not stuff that has the gathering animation). We decided Webster could be his name (sticky fingers? Webs are sticky?)

I think the equipping thing is fine as it is. However like said before me, the amulet should have a separate slot, though that brings up the question of will there be other amulets/similar accessories to fill there eventually, which starts to get into territory where I'm of the opinion that it becomes a different game.

[EDIT] So, just making post smaller looking and adding link in the spoiler tag to the thread related to the image provided.

On the topic of extra inventory slots though, I was talking to a friend a while back about how there could be a character who has the perk of having some extra slots. We figured he'd be some sort of a pack-rat (and possibly a thief) and will also pick up nearby items automatically (not stuff that has the gathering animation). We decided Webster could be his name (sticky fingers? Webs are sticky?)

Also here's a drawing concept of him.post-3160-13764589580274_thumb.png

[EDIT] Thread for above character idea can be found here. http://forums.kleientertainment.com/showthread.php?4095-Webster-New-Character-Concept Hurray self advertisement!

Edited by jujubomber
Compacting post, I felt it was too large

I died around 8-10 times playing this game for not being careful when attacking creatures. Had a nice little shelter where I'd never go hungry. Then on the 27th day, I decided to move out to the 3rd area. I packed my bag with a bunch of materials to set up for a new base. I made a quick stop to kill the tallbird, but I ended up dying because realized too late that I forgot to equip my log suit before going into battle. It was a huge let down that I spent so many hours on playing. I think i'll play this game when March comes around or something.

Not being able to wear both a backpack and a logsuit doesn't really make a lot of sense. Gameplay, more of a challenge...but...

"Hmm, I have to go to school today. Do I wear my backpack with all my supplies, but wear no shirt? Or do I wear a shirt and not bring a backpack?"

Kind of lame really. I got my good friend to play Don't Starve, and he thought it was lame too. You should be able to wear both, it just makes it tedious having to drop the backpack on the ground, put on the armor, take off the armor, pick up the backpack and wear it again.

Ah... yes. As you can imagine this is a common suggestion. Of course I view it more as a challenge. For me I always carry a log suit and wear a football cap. If I hear the hounds I simply drop the backpack on the ground and equip the log suit and a weapon. There's always more than enough time. The amulet on the other hand... well, that's a personal choice. If you're worried you will die then run away from combat (using the AWSD keys) and use the LMB to auto-equip it. I carry an amulet in my inventory for just such a case... of course I heard that some players are revived just to die again. :)

In short, I'm fine with the hard choices the game forces us to make. And to be honest, the choices aren't all THAT hard... yet.

Second that

Suddenly I realized something. In a way it makes sense that you can't wear both at the same time. Think about it, if you were to wear a suit made out of logs, how would the backpack fit on your back? Why apply logic to this though? Who would actually wear a suit of logs? Would that not be too heavy and bulky? The bulk is the reason for not being able to wear the pack at the same time. Even if you were to use the smallest of logs, you would have to either hold the backpack or make the straps really long in order to wear it.

Now excuse me while I stop polluting the forums with my sleep deprivation.