Old Bell in caves

I was asked to move this to suggestions, so here it is.

What should happen:

Earthquake that dislodges a large rock from the ceiling, acting as both an earthquake and bigfoot, with the chance of other large rocks falling nearby, just as bigfoot.

As I said in the other post, I don't think the giant bell should be useable in the caves. When you are Maxwell knows how deep underground (even more so if in the ruins), I don't think that Bigfoot should be able to hear the bell ring and even less come walk precisely above your position. Even if the sound comes out of the caves from the sinkhole, how could he know where you are exactly ? It makes even less sense in the ruins, where he would walk above you on the surface, make a boulder fall in the caves, which would make another boulder fall in the ruins? o_O What if there is no passage in the cave above your position in the ruins ?

It's just a personnal opinion (and I respect yours), but I'd rather keep this powerful relic far from the caves/ruins. It is so strong that I'd prefer if you needed to be near a repaired ancient pseudoscience station to actually be able to craft it, with some rare component like 1 or more green gems. Then make glommer wings + glommer flower spoil over time to make it even harder to collect multiple old bells. Only then, in my opinion, would the strenght of the old bell be really justified and people would think twice before using it to chop down trees, which ironically can be done with the lowest tech tier item.

As I said in the other post, I don't think the giant bell should be useable in the caves. When you are Maxwell knows how deep underground (even more so if in the ruins), I don't think that Bigfoot should be able to hear the bell ring and even less come walk precisely above your position. Even if the sound comes out of the caves from the sinkhole, how could he know where you are exactly ? It makes even less sense in the ruins, where he would walk above you on the surface, make a boulder fall in the caves, which would make another boulder fall in the ruins? o_O What if there is no passage in the cave above your position in the ruins ?

It's just a personnal opinion (and I respect yours), but I'd rather keep this powerful relic far from the caves/ruins. It is so strong that I'd prefer if you needed to be near a repaired ancient pseudoscience station to actually be able to craft it, with some rare component like 1 or more green gems. Then make glommer wings + glommer flower spoil over time to make it even harder to collect multiple old bells. Only then, in my opinion, would the strenght of the old bell be really justified and people would think twice before using it to chop down trees, which ironically can be done with the lowest tech tier item.

Actually, it's not related to bigfoot. It's just a use for the old bell that ties into the underground theme. The way I see it, the ringing causes an earthquake, that's it. Instead of bigfoot, you get big rocks.

Actually, it's not related to bigfoot. It's just a use for the old bell that ties into the underground theme. The way I see it, the ringing causes an earthquake, that's it. Instead of bigfoot, you get big rocks.

I guess you could see it that way. However, we can already cause earthquakes with explosives (if I am not mistaken), so I don't see why ringing a bell should cause a huge rock to go down and crush our oponents when explosives dont o_O

Edit1: In fact, maybe it could be the explosives that has a certain random chance of making a boulder fall down where it exploded in addition to starting an earthquake. The boulder could do some amount of damage to whatever is standing underneath when it falls down. It could also leave a mineable boulder on the floor (gives some rocks, flint and rarely some gold). The boulder would need to move a little bit any mob/character that gets struck to one of its side if it survives (to prevent any movement bugs and prevent the victim from getting stuck). Depth worms should be able to move under. Come to think of it, maybe explosive could have a small chance of spawning a new boss monster (a sort of terror from the deep) that would wake up because of the explosion. Triggering a lot of explosions would increase the chances of the boss to spawn up to a certain number. This boss should be able to burrow like the depth worms and move under the boulders.

All that being said, I don't know if Klei has any plans for future development of the caves. Maybe in the next DLC, if there is one !

Edit2: I'm thinking that coding the boulder falling down, if it remains on the ground, would be really painful because of all the problems that could occur (e.g. the character getting stuck between the boulder and the edge of the map). I guess it could break up when touching the ground, just like some rocks, flint, etc. break when they fall during an earthquake. However, I think it would be nice just to have the explosives causing the earthquakes (like they do right now) and add a certain chance to spawn a new boss monster as discussed previously. That alone would be, in my opinion, an interesting new feature to the caves!

I guess you could see it that way. However, we can already cause earthquakes with explosives (if I am not mistaken), so I don't see why ringing a bell should cause a huge rock to go down and crush our oponents when explosives dont o_O

Edit: In fact, maybe it could be the explosives that has a certain random chance of making a boulder fall down where it exploded in addition to starting an earthquake. The boulder could do some amount of damage to whatever is standing underneath when it falls down. It could also leave a mineable boulder on the floor (gives some rocks, flint and rarely some gold). The boulder would need to move a little bit any mob/character that gets struck to one of its side if it survives (to prevent any movement bugs and prevent the victim from getting stuck). Depth worms should be able to move under. Come to think of it, maybe explosive could have a small chance of spawning a new boss monster (a sort of terror from the deep) that would wake up because of the explosion. Triggering a lot of explosions would increase the chances of the boss to spawn up to a certain number. This boss should be able to burrow like the depth worms and move under the boulders.

All that being said, I don't know if Klei has any plans for future development of the caves. Maybe in the next DLC, if there is one !

Putting all that aside, this is just my solution for the fact the old bell does nothing but waste durability if used in caves atm, nothing more.

Putting all that aside, this is just my solution for the fact the old bell does nothing but waste durability if used in caves atm, nothing more.

I understand perfectly =) I personally have no problem with it doing nothing underground. If Klei decides to leave it that way, perhaps a simple solution would be to make it so that the character still rings the bell but it doesnt lose any durability ? The character could also say something about the fact that the bell is useless underground. Just a thought!

I understand perfectly =) I personally have no problem with it doing nothing underground. If Klei decides to leave it that way, perhaps a simple solution would be to make it so that the character still rings the bell but it doesnt lose any durability ? The character could also say something about the fact that the bell is useless underground. Just a thought!

That's the second solution, indeed. :)

If it's in caves, then it shouldn't be the normal rocks you see on the upper world, but the black ones you see underground; cause that'd make sense, right?

I guess it doesn't really matter, since it's a piece of the ceiling that falls down and it could look like anything.

By the way, I edited my previous post where I was talking about a new boss monster. Added some thoughts about the whole boulder falling down thing.

Archived