Chester Spider Cloak

Seeing that people are complaining about Webber's spider companions attacking Chester, I thought I'd make this thread.

Webber needs a negative buff, so perhaps that could be it: Chester (or any neutral mob follower, e.g. Glommer) gets attacked UNLESS it's wearing a "spider cloak". This would mask their scent from ONLY spiders.

To craft it you would need:

6x Silk

1x Hounds Tooth

1x Spider Gland

The spider cloak would be a "giveable" item to Chester (or any neutral follower). The cloak would look sinisterly dark and would have 6 (akin to the in-game spiders) poorly feigned legs - 3 on each side.

Just a wee thought. Any suggestions/feedback is much appreciated :grin:

- Suggestion from Subscriber01236:
                           - Neutral followers will be given the monster tag whilst under the cloak, so he is attacked on sight by mobs such as pigs and bunnymen.

Webber needs a negative buff, so perhaps that could be it: Chester (or any neutral mob follower, e.g. Glommer) gets attacked UNLESS it's wearing a "spider cloak". This would mask their scent from ONLY spiders.

Well haven't they already fixed it so spiders don't attack Webbers followers?

I don't play Webber but he seems fairly balanced to me, being able to eat monster foods is no great help, because these can be used in better crock pot recipes such as meatballs anyway, and it still chomps away at his limited sanity. His sanity is half that of a regular character (imagine trying to fight a Deerclops, you'd go totally insane). His beard supplies a very common material unlike Wilson's beard hair. His major advantage is having higher quality base protection, rather than pigs, traps (which cost a lot to set up) and bunnymen, yet even this protection is flawed because of the fact that spider dens are just as flammable. Summer may destroy his base if it is not spaced correctly because of the high amount of spider dens that would be in place. So his only advantage that doesn't have equally bad drawbacks is insulation and a small amount of silk from his beard.

In summary, i don't think a lot of people would agree that he needs a debuff. I also don't think anyone would mind dressing Chester up like a cute little spider, seems more like a buff to me, unless it had durability.

What do you mean with "Webber needs a negative buff"?

I meant a debuff *facepalm*. It was late at night, so yeah. I'm a dummy.

The fact that he's almost the spider form of Wilson with lower sanity (I might be wrong there) just doesn't seem unique enough, and he just seems too easy.

Well haven't they already fixed it so spiders don't attack Webbers followers?

I don't play Webber but he seems fairly balanced to me, being able to eat monster foods is no great help, because these can be used in better crock pot recipes such as meatballs anyway, and it still chomps away at his limited sanity. His sanity is half that of a regular character (imagine trying to fight a Deerclops, you'd go totally insane). His beard supplies a very common material unlike Wilson's beard hair. His major advantage is having higher quality base protection, rather than pigs, traps (which cost a lot to set up) and bunnymen, yet even this protection is flawed because of the fact that spider dens are just as flammable. Summer may destroy his base if it is not spaced correctly because of the high amount of spider dens that would be in place. So his only advantage that doesn't have equally bad drawbacks is insulation and a small amount of silk from his beard.

In summary, i don't think a lot of people would agree that he needs a debuff. I also don't think anyone would mind dressing Chester up like a cute little spider, seems more like a buff to me, unless it had durability.

I don't play him, either; I don't feel compelled to - but I saw a few recent posts about spiders attacking followers, so I decided to make a suggestion :)

I would like this idea if it also made Chester to be given the monster tag (like Webber has) so creatures like pigs and bunnymen will also attack him on sight, i think that could be cool.

That's a really good idea. I'll add it to the original post :D

Cheers!

I meant a debuff *facepalm*. It was late at night, so yeah. I'm a dummy.

The fact that he's almost the spider form of Wilson with lower sanity (I might be wrong there) just doesn't seem unique enough, and he just seems too easy.

I don't play him, either; I don't feel compelled to - but I saw a few recent posts about spiders attacking followers, so I decided to make a suggestion :-)

He's far from being just a Wilson in spider suit. Every mob hostile to spiders are hostile to him, which means you can't make farms using pig houses or bunny hutches. They also give you priority, so they'll target you no matter what worse enemies are near them. Even catcoons will attack him.

Basically you're stuck with having only spiders around you and they'll eat anything you might leave in your base for a few seconds to manage inventory or destroy your walls and activate your traps. It's a pain being a kid stuck inside a spider.

He's far from being just a Wilson in spider suit. Every mob hostile to spiders are hostile to him, which means you can't make farms using pig houses or bunny hutches. They also give you priority, so they'll target you no matter what worse enemies are near them. Even catcoons will attack him.

Basically you're stuck with having only spiders around you and they'll eat anything you might leave in your base for a few seconds to manage inventory or destroy your walls and activate your traps. It's a pain being a kid stuck inside a spider.

Hmmm... You have a fair point. My silky top hat is off to you. ;)

Although I still think that spiders should still attack neutral mob followers on sight - however, seeing that I don't actually play as Webber, it makes no difference to me, personally.

What do people think? Should this be implemented or should it stick to the modding realm?

Wow, wait a second: how is Chester meant to be part of the metagame? Chester shouldn't need upgrades to be compatible with Webber's perks. Webber's minions are a fundamental construct of his gameplay--you can't say 'spiders will continue to be annoying to the one char that has them as friendly till you get an upgrade'. Do you need something for pigs? Of course not, it'd be tedious as hell if pigs attacked chester without a pighat.

If you think the char is OP, then nerf directly. Followers that normall come under Unfriendly - like clockwerks in the caves - should not continue to after they get the tag Friendly else it's too convoluted.

Wow, wait a second: how is Chester meant to be part of the metagame? Chester shouldn't need upgrades to be compatible with Webber's perks. Webber's minions are a fundamental construct of his gameplay--you can't say 'spiders will continue to be annoying to the one char that has them as friendly till you get an upgrade'. Do you need something for pigs? Of course not, it'd be tedious as hell if pigs attacked chester without a pighat.

If you think the char is OP, then nerf directly. Followers that normall come under Unfriendly - like clockwerks in the caves - should not continue to after they get the tag Friendly else it's too convoluted.

Fair enough - it's important to gain perspective of all viewpoints :)

My thinking is that because spiders are monsters they'll view almost anything with a neutral standpoint as an enemy, and that's... Just the way Don't Starve is, I guess, so any mob followers would have to be disguised to be smuggled into the group. Pigs, however, are normally friendly and won't attack the player or his/her companion(s).

Thanks for sharing your opinion. Even though I may not agree, it is valued. :3

Fair enough - it's important to gain perspective of all viewpoints :)

My thinking is that because spiders are monsters they'll view almost anything with a neutral standpoint as an enemy, and that's... Just the way Don't Starve is, I guess, so any mob followers would have to be disguised to be smuggled into the group. Pigs, however, are normally friendly and won't attack the player or his/her companion(s).

Thanks for sharing your opinion. Even though I may not agree, it is valued. :3

It's just that lots of things don't make logical sense in this game because they're simply to make the game less arbitrarily micro intensive. There are actions and problems that the player ongoingly would have to deal with that might be realistic but are left out of the game because they'd suck the fun out of everything. This is one of those cases where creativity would be a better option for the audience than gratuitous micromanagement that becomes macromanagement that doesn't add anything to the game and is there merely because novelty is subjective and because, what, it somehow makes sense? I dunno, because it'd be funny to see people stop playing (Webber) due to not being able to play the character with equal luxuries to everyone else (like if there were no way to put out wildfires as Strongman because 'he scared of fires, soz' or something)?

Pigs don't attack Chester. Why not? You said Chester is a neutral mob thus it makes sense that hostile mobs should attack it. But pigs are hostile to Unfriendly mobs, so there's not much of a difference between Friendly and Unfriendly. And, before you mention that it's about aggro, I ask you what about Catcoons? Friendly mob, no one aggros them, but they aggro all Friendly/Unfriendly however not Neutral. In the end, Neutrals take on the relationship that the character holds with the creature (this is, at least, intended).

Basically, all chars don't come under neutral, they come under friendly or unfriendly. Chester takes on the relationship that the char has and never is truly neutral.

Archived