More Giants ?

58 members have voted

1. 1. Would you like more giants ?

• Yes !
    • No, there are enough of them destroying my base...

The minotaur is the ruins boss, a rhino-like giant.

And if there were more giants, we would see them more.

.... That's called The Minotaur? ... You've got to be kidding, it's a bloody Rhino and it's not even that BIG. Bah, last time I killed it, it bugged out trying to charge through a pillar that was too narrow for it to pass by. Total joke for a Giant. 

Oh, and it doesn't share the same properties as the other Giants in that it doesn't search for the player, it just sits around waiting. It's more of a Boss than a Giant. (And, I plucking swear, it's not a god-damn Minotaur by ANY stretch of the imagination). 

.... That's called The Minotaur? ... You've got to be kidding, it's a bloody Rhino and it's not even that BIG. Bah, last time I killed it, it bugged out trying to charge through a pillar that was too narrow for it to pass by. Total joke for a Giant. 

Oh, and it doesn't share the same properties as the other Giants in that it doesn't search for the player, it just sits around waiting. It's more of a Boss than a Giant. (And, I plucking swear, it's not a god-damn Minotaur by ANY stretch of the imagination). 

Dear InsaneDugong, why are you losing your cool over some names? People refer to the Ancient Guardian as the 'Minotaur' beacuse that's the nickname the developres gave it to.

http://dont-starve-game.wikia.com/wiki/Ancient_Guardian

That the Ancient Guardian spawns in the "labyrinth" and is named "minotaur" in the console means that it is most likely a reference to the Greek mythological story of Theseus and the Minotaur.

- Don't Starve Wiki

Let's don't argue what's a 'boss' and what's a 'giant'. That's just silly. Everything that's inflated with a ton of health points can be called both as each monster with high endurance will probably be big. Besides, look at this picture:

Guardian_attack.png

I don't know about you but something that can swallow a whole human is a surely gigantic for me. It doesn't have the same properties as other 'giants' and that's great. Makes the game more interesting. We have large creatures of different shapes and sizes. They even have distinguishable properties - even better. By the way, 'Reign of Giants' is just a poetic title for the expansion and it doesn't make the already existing monsters any smaller.

Dear InsaneDugong, why are you losing your cool over some names? People refer to the Ancient Guardian as the 'Minotaur' beacuse that's the nickname the developres gave it to.

http://dont-starve-game.wikia.com/wiki/Ancient_Guardian

That the Ancient Guardian spawns in the "labyrinth" and is named "minotaur" in the console means that it is most likely a reference to the Greek mythological story of Theseus and the Minotaur.

- Don't Starve Wiki

Let's don't argue what's a 'boss' and what's a 'giant'. That's just silly. Everything that's inflated with a ton of health points can be called both as each monster with high endurance will probably be big. Besides, look at this picture:

I don't know about you but something that can swallow a whole human is a surely gigantic for me. It doesn't have the same properties as other 'giants' and that's great. Makes the game more interesting. We have large creatures of different shapes and sizes. They even have distinguishable properties - even better. By the way, 'Reign of Giants' is just a poetic title for the expansion and it doesn't make the already existing monsters any smaller.

You're got a bit of an agenda against me, don't you? My dear Hudxesonael, I've lost nothing of the sort (in regards to "my cool", whatever that means [that's a joke, I know what it means since you don't understand English nuisances]). Could you explain wherein the segment you quoted where I 'lose my cool'? Also explain where you're dignified in reiterating to me (in a condescending manner) everything in which @Malan-Tai has already explained (in which Malan-Tai did without being aggressive).

Also, my name is InaneDugong, not InsaneDugong, and this is an unacceptable attack and considered defamation (it's really not clever either).

Guardian_attack.png

white_rhino.jpg

Anyway, to address your problem with me (this time), I'm merely exclaiming that The Minotaur looks nothing like the depictions of the mythological beast. Hell, if you've ever been to any zoo in the world, they've got these animals called Rhinoceros. They usually come in a variety that have 4 legs rather than 2, but they look identical otherwise. They are also known for charging their predators, utilising their horn to disembowel their victims.

Also, I understand fully that no one here has power over the proper noun given to the creature. I've already explained as much too, so I'd appreciate it if you read the whole thread before jumping to conclusions and instigating over them. Thanks. 

Now, considering that the thread refers to 'Giants' as opposed to 'Bosses' or whatever, we need to differentiate between mechanics. For instance, the Queen Spider is not a giant. By size or by mechanics, the Queen Spider is not a giant. Like, what on earth are you talking about when you say:

Let's don't [i think you mean 'not'] argue what's a 'boss' and what's a 'giant'. That's just silly. [Why? It'd help if you explained these things]

? Don't Starve is split into mechanical Tiers of creatures. Giants have a mechanical foundation, thus far, to seek out the player periodically and to hold special abilities. They are also all roughly the same size (all four). Everything else is not a Giant. If you want to semantically argue that there are more than four Giants, then you are missing the point of the proper noun "Giant". It is merely a means of vaguely describing a category of creature in Don't Starve and does not pertain to subjective comparisons of size-thresholds relative to:

I don't know about you but something that can swallow a whole human is a surely gigantic for me.["Gigantic" is an adjective, not a noun. It affects the meaning of a noun; whereas a noun has its own meaning with or without the adjective. This is a 'straw-man argument' in that it seems to address the point but is misleading in that it fundamentally doesn't - all of which is intentional within a straw argument.] 

So please, get off my tail and stop trying so hard to bother me lest I put you on ignore. If you don't understand something I said, ask for clarification before assuming you know what it means - I'm rather tired of dealing with your misunderstandings.

First of all I would like to apologize for that typ-o. I didn't mean to insult you in any way.

You're got a bit of an agenda against me, don't you?

Not at all but you I understand why you would react like this considering my typing error.

My dear Hudxesonael, I've lost nothing of the sort (in regards to "my cool", whatever that means [that's a joke, I know what it means since you don't understand English nuisances]). 

That's not a joke. That's being sarcastic. I might not get all English nuances but hey. I am just a human and I make mistakes.

Could you explain wherein the segment you quoted where I 'lose my cool'? Also explain where you're dignified in reiterating to me (in a condescending manner) everything in which @Malan-Tai has already explained (in which Malan-Tai did without being aggressive).

Here's the quote:

@Malan-Tai said that he counted 6 Giants and yes - great props for his polite response. I really don't understand why you try to force your set of monster cathegories on other forum members. I tried to explain to you that there is some merit in the name 'minotaur' and where it came from.

I understand fully that no one here has power over the proper noun given to the creature.

InaneDugong

You explain in detail your point of view. I understand it and I respect it.

Now, considering that the thread refers to 'Giants' as opposed to 'Bosses' or whatever, we need to differentiate between mechanics.

I think this is the reason why you decided to argue over semantics. You have a predefined idea of Giants and you want @Malan-Tai to aknowlegde it too. You have a solid fundation for your set of rules when it comes to naming monsters but I don't think he should agree and change his mind in the middle of the conversation. He already stated that by Giants he mean:

The 4 seasonal, BigFoot and the minotaur.

Which implies that @Malan-Tai considers a broader cathegory than @InaneDugong which includes InaneDugong understanding of Giants + the Ancient Guardian + 'bell creature' also known as BigFoot. By altering the meaning of his words your altering the meaning of the poll that he started.

First of all I would like to apologize for that typ-o. I didn't mean to insult you in any way.

Alright, apologies if this whole thing has been a string of misunderstandings.

That's not a joke. That's being sarcastic. I might not get all English nuances but hey. I am just a human and I make mistakes.

All of this begun on misunderstandings of nuisances, I believe. Thus I'm cautious of not elaborating on vague phrases. As for this one, it is sarcasm but it's also an insinuation that "lost your cool" or, rather, the term "cool" is vague in all iterations. Though it's popularised in movies and referencing lower class American interactions (which is a huge stereotype of under-education and I'm against it because of this), its use only exists because of poor communication skills and/or a minor change in connotations whilst implying them for political safeguard reasons. In other words, I'm suggesting its vagueness is something to be agitated by when you're the one described with it - but I'm suggesting so rhetorically and don't expect an answer since it is, really, harmless.

@Malan-Tai said that he counted 6 Giants and yes - great props for his polite response. I really don't understand why you try to force your set of monster cathegories on other forum members. I tried to explain to you that there is some merit in the name 'minotaur' and where it came from.

Well, Big Foot might be daaaammmnnn huuuuuuuuueggggg, but it doesn't really exist either. That is, there is 1 predicate for the Giants (Deerclops) and another 3 additions to reinforce the definition of Giant (the seasonal Giants). Given that Reign of Giants has introduced primarily 3 Giants that are defined as Giants and not just novelised as Giants, we aren't left with much evidence to support that anything else is a Giant. 

But I'm fine with assuming Big Foot is a giant, even though it's summoned using a structure and is more of an ability than a creature-entity. And the Minotaur breaks all of these predicates in that it is a passive creature that doesn't seek out the player nor have any abilities nor rely on periodic intervals of appearance. It's also way smaller than the other 4 (or 5).

You explain in detail your point of view. I understand it and I respect it.

Thank you.

I think this is the reason why you decided to argue over semantics. You have a predefined idea of Giants and you want @Malan-Tai to aknowlegde it too. You have a solid fundation for your set of rules when it comes to naming monsters but I don't think he should agree and change his mind in the middle of the conversation. He already stated that by Giants he mean:

If we all describe the same things only using different names, it all becomes very confusing when trying to develop ideas in a community. The categories I've concluded seem most easy for everyone to negotiate and most intentional by Klei. If we expand the categories to include more things for the sake of simply novelising this term 'Giants' (cause, well, we're all really excited to have all this new content, aren't we), then it's going to increasingly become difficult to discuss issues. We also have a really limited time to negotiate ideas as a community if we want anything to find its way into the game whilst the beta is open, so we do need to be efficient in communicating ideas and concepts. (This is my opinion though, and I've derived as much from working as a beta tester for years in a variety of games).

Which implies that @Malan-Tai considers a broader cathegory than @InaneDugong which includes InaneDugong understanding of Giants + the Ancient Guardian + 'bell creature' also known as BigFoot. By altering the meaning of his words your altering the meaning of the poll that he started.

There is also talk of the Spider Queen being a Giant. Do you agree with this? It doesn't seem to match the integrity of the poll, does it. I'm pretty sure they included another 2-3 creatures in the same vain as a way of expanding this idea they're labelling as "Giants". I'm not being anally retentive in trying to correct this notion, I'm just painfully aware of how many people are passing through these threads and that if each individual who did pass through these threads was to comment and add their ideas, then this thread/poll might not be for naught. However, when ideas are convoluted, they become alienating to others not part of the conversation.

So, yeah. Otherwise, I was ranting about the name 'Minotaur' because I thought I'd somehow missed an entire Giant throughout 40 days of Caves and I felt silly for it all. I was also really excited when I thought I'd missed a declaration by Klei about a Giant specifically for the Caves and was disappointed to hear that the Rhinoceros-creature was the supposed "Giant" - a creature that has no interesting dimensions to it right now...

Anyway, no hard feelings. Apologies for constructing a conspiracy that never really existed. 

I'd like some sort of boss, not necessarily a giant, in the caves (read: not ruins). Since the Moggles seem to be OP, maybe a giant Moleworm boss could drop them? I don't really like increasing the size of a mob into a boss (i.e. Merm King or Queen Bee) but this would seem to make sense

Well, if anything, I'd like some form of clockwork giant. I feel it would fit decently well with the game's theme, plus adding a bit more variety to the "one season, one giant" route. 'Course, it shouldn't be simply wander in like the rest of the giants. Maybe it could appear once the Teleportato is assembled or something along those lines.

Archived