Concerns about that big Warg...

(This post was made by myself earlier today in the normal Don't Starve Suggestion Forums, therefore I am Pasting it here for the viewing of RoG players/forumers.)

I think the idea of Warg is brilliant as there is now a Trade-Off for hunting the Koalafant as in an ambush from a Massive Hairy Beast. However, I think its ridiculous to even attempt fighting this guy. Whenever you are hunting the Koalafant, you tend to go alone, otherwise your friendly pigs could end up eating the meat you set out to collect, furthermore its not like you have a chance to set up traps as it spots you instantly and begins its chase. In all honesty my sole frustration with this monster is its ability to summon endless hounds and there being no counter play to it. 

When facing a Spider Queen, you tend to have an idea when you'll face it, raiding a Tier 3 den is troublesome enough at times especially if there are a group of them, therefore you bring along you spider allies. The tactic for beating the Spider Queen single handedly makes much more sense though, it lays another spider you kill it quick with three/four swings, then beat of the Queen again. With the Warg, that kind of playstyle is impossible. Four hounds are chasing you at double your speed, you manage to kill one whilst taking consistent damage, just so the Warg can summon another two in its place. A cycle that can't be defeated.

To make things more fair, I have many suggestions.

1. The Warg is found with Three Hounds, and fights with these three hounds and cannot summon any more; or perhaps roaring for another three hounds at 66% and 33% health.

2. The Warg can only summon one hound at a time capping at 3/4 first roar summons the max, and there is a cooldown as to when the next can be summoned. (After the death of 2/3 of the hounds, in 30 seconds the Warg will Roar for another Hound to join the fray.) This would allow you to kill the Hounds first, then actually have a chance to battle the Warg one on one before he summons another.

3. The Warg summons hounds after certain amounts of damage are dealt, e.g. 100/80/60/40/20% health or one hound every 4 or 5 strikes against the Warg then he'll howl for them to battle.

4. The Warg has more of a arrogant personality. It spawns at the end of the trail with its maximum pack. (More Hounds in Pack with More Days Survived, Capping at 8 or something.) The Warg will then roar for the Hounds to attack you whilst closely following behind sneering as his allies go in for the kill. As you kill the last Hound he summoned he'll become deeply raged and attack you in a One vs One to the Death.

Currently I feel the Warg as it is, is overpowered as I'm likely to die to infinite hounds before getting a single hit on the Warg.

Thanks for reading,

Kruze.

Just get some log armor, football helmet and a hambat. Ignore the hounds as best you can. Take the warg out first by tanking him then the hounds. Ur armor will take a beating but you'll survive the pretty quick fight.

I haven't checked, but how much hp does the Warg have and how much damage does it do?

First of all, you shouldn't need to take a beating, and you seem to have missed my mention of the attack interrupts, if you have 3 Hounds on you constantly attacking, your attempted hits on the Warg are cancelled, so you'll die slowly but surely, especially since Warg pretty much has a massive disregard for your armour.

And I've pulled this up from the wiki for you..

Health 600 Damage 50 Attack Period 3 Attack Range 5 Running Speed 5.5 Special Ability Can summon hounds

Get Hambat->???->profit

It takes 11 hits to kill warg with hambat at the cost of getting hit by the pack 5 times. I don't think it is a big threat, you just have to focus it down as soon as you see him. What I usually do is to slowly tiptoe towards the spawning direction after the last track, and then sprint with a walking cane towards the warg.

Archived