Switching characters, by burying skulls?

Switching characters while in your world has been a long requested feature, and skulls have been in the files, unimplemented.

I was thinking, just like you can bury Webber's skull to unlock him, maybe you should be able to do the same for other characters? But instead of unlocking them, you just swap out characters.

Each skull could be craftable, something like 

4x Bone Shard + Beard Hair + Gold for Wilson

4x Bone Shard + Charcoal + Red Gem for Willow

4x Bone Shard + Flower Petals + ? for Wendy

4x Bone Shard + Meat + Rocks for Wolfgang

4x Bone Shard + Gears + Gold for WX-78

4x Bone Shard + Reeds + ? for Wickerbottom

4x Bone Shard + Living Log + Axe for Woodie

4x Bone Shard + I dont even know for Wes

4x Bone Shard + Nightmare Fuel + Dapper Vest for Maxwell

4x Bone Shard + Spear + Football Helmet for Wigfrid

4x Bone Shard + Web + Monster Meat for Webber (Once you unlock him from killing a spider)

Or, if someone could mod it that would be awesome

the tent had a similar feature  a while ago , but it was remove on purpose , the game just isnt balanced around being about to switch characters on the fly.

I can already see a lot of players switch to Willow before fighting a dragonfly (for example), instead of using some sort of strategy to compensate for the chosen character's weaknesses. If a modder wants to do it, sure no problem, but I hope this does not get implemented in the core game. The choice of the character comes with its advantages, its disadvantages, and it's a strategic choice that happens even before the game has started. I prefer to start a new game if I want to try out a new character, but I understand that not all people think like me, thankfully ! =)

I was thinking, just like you can bury Webber's skull to unlock him, maybe you should be able to do the same for other characters? But instead of unlocking them, you just swap out characters.

It opens the door for all sort of exploataion of abilities for situational use and makes your initial character choice nonminingful.

It opens the door for all sort of exploataion of abilities for situational use and makes your initial character choice nonminingful.

the tent had a similar feature  a while ago , but it was remove on purpose , the game just isnt balanced around being about to switch characters on the fly.

Well, it would all have to get a little balancing, but that was the point of the crafting recipies. Theres only a limited amount of bone shards in the world, and a limited amount of graves.

Archived