Better Adventure Mode

While I do like adventure mode, there are some things it doesn't get right. For starters, Wes is unlocked by luck mainly, as he is not always there. Also, I've gotten some of the harder maps before the easier, more suited for starting maps too often. Lastly, I hate having to explore my world far and wide to find Maxwell's door. I think adventure mode should not be permadeath. Before you go nuts about this, hear me out. When you die, you have the option to continue. If you say no, then it does what it does now. If yes, then you respawn where you died with some seconds of invincibility to collect your items. There could be a set amount of these "continues" that you get. To fix the problem with Wes, if you clear adventure mode without dying and using continues, that is the new way to unlock him. Unfortunately, the problem with Maxwell's door will have to stay, but adventure mode would still improve. This way, those who like it as it is can still play permadeath by choosing "no" when dying. With Wes, I'm confident that a lot of people agree that unlocking Wes is insane.

For starters, Wes is unlocked by luck mainly, as he is not always there.

Maxwell aside, all the other players are unlocked through basic gameplay (experience points). Wes also used to be unlocked that way, until the devs decided to create something a little more unique, and give players something to work towards beyond just playing the game itself. He's supposed to be a challenge.

I've gotten some of the harder maps before the easier, more suited for starting maps too often.

Yeah, AM levels are RNG. If it were fixed worlds each level, it may as well be Mario Bros. Through repetition, you could just play it until you memorize every brick and goomba, and "beat" it with your eyes closed. Where's the challenge? To me it's more fun to know just the immediate world given to me, and adjust my short- and long-term survival strategy.

Like Wes, AM is designed to be hard and not suit our comfortable gameplay strats. It forces you to think and adapt immediately, on your feet and with no warning. If you don't like the first world given, die and restart until you get one you want.

Lastly, I hate having to explore my world far and wide to find Maxwell's door.

Exploring your world is part of the base mechanics of this game, AM or otherwise. If the devs changed that, what could they change it to while still keeping in the spirit of their vision of the game?

I've found the door on day 2 and/or day 60. You can play AM on any of your saves, when or wherever you've found the door. Why don't you play it on one where you've already found the door instead of stressing about finding it anew?

When you die, you have the option to continue. If you say no, then it does what it does now. If yes, then you respawn where you died with some seconds of invincibility to collect your items. There could be a set amount of these "continues" that you get.

These are called Touchstones and Meat Effigies. Don't Starve is about the player manipulating the environment to their advantage, not the environment offering up safety nets.

Archived