Some random items, buildings, etc. that I thought up. (CONSTANTLY UPDATED)

Bone

The Bone is a new item dropped from any mob big enough to bear full-size Meat. It appears "in place" of meat sometimes in groups of two. This means that, say, Tallbirds will sometimes drop 2 meat, 1 meat and 2 bones, or 4 bones. The drops from a mob could be determined beforehand, too. Mobs with more meat dropped take much less damage, but mobs with more bones dropped do a little bit more damage. Bones are usable as a last-ditch food source giving +10 hunger but having a chance for the player to choke and lose 20 health. More commonly, Bones are used in crafting recipes of all tiers. 

Wilson - Hehehe...
Willow - It looks like a branch, but I can't burn it. Boo!
Wendy - I like tearing these out.
Wolfgang - Is trophy!
WX - CORDS FOR MEATSACKS
Wickerbottom - It is constructed from calcium.
Wigfrid - Now everyone knows that I killed it.
Secret Character - Look at these flimsy things.

Spear Tiers

There are now some more tiers of Spear. Each higher tier has more durability and deals a very minor amount more damage. 

Flint Spears, the ones we have now, are the weakest kind. They have the same stats as before. Every spear after this requires an Alchemy Engine.

Bone Spears are a tier above the Flint Spear. They require 2 Bones instead of the flint. They have 125% more durability and deal 42 damage.

Wilson - Kinda macabre.
Wolfgang - I make bone sharp now.
Wickerbottom - Bone splinters can be quite sharp.
Wigfrid - I like my other spear more.

Volt Spears are the final tier of Spear. They require a Volt Goat horn instead of flint or bones. They have 160% more durability than the Flint Spear and deals 42 damage and also rarely stuns an enemy. Using it on the Lightning Rod will make it able to attack slightly faster.

Wolfgang - Buzzy spear!
WX - I CANNOT POWER MYSELF WITH THIS

Blueberry Bush

Blueberry Bushes are semi-rare items, appearing maybe 18 or so in a default world. They cannot be relocated, but the berries are very good, giving 15 hunger raw and 20 hunger cooked. They also give 10 health raw and 15 hunger cooked.

Normal berry bushes would appear much less common the more Blueberry Bushes there are, to encourage exploration and to not make them OP.

Wilson (Blueberry Bush) - Hooray for variety.
Wilson (Blueberry Bush - Picked) - I wish there was more.
Wilson - Blue berries taste the best now.
Wilson (Cooked) - I'm not sure why I did that.
Wendy - I like the blood-red ones more.
Wendy (Cooked) - I like burning small things.
Wolfgang (Blueberry Bush) - Is better foodballs!
Wolfgang (Blueberry Bush - Picked) - More! More! More!
Wolfgang (Cooked) - I made a better foodballs.
WX (Blueberry Bush - Picked) - IT IS RECHARGING
WX (Cooked) - IT WILL PROTECT ME FROM VIRUSES
Wigfrid (Blueberry Bush) - Disgusting.
Wigfrid (Blueberry Bush - Picked) - At least I don't have to look at them anymore.
Wigfrid - They aren't meat. How can they possibly be good for me?
Wigfrid (Cooked) - They still aren't meat!

Now, to justify two new good weapons and a very good food source, we've got to add something to balance it. So here's some new mobs. But first, we need to establish a new biome:

New Biome: The Shallow Water

This biome appears along the ocean, as lighter-colored Ocean surrounded by coral, rocks, etc. It is very large, almost as big as the island itself, but only one can appear. The Shallow Water can actually be walked in, as it is very shallow, as the name plies. It is host to some different fish enemies, like pirhanas or the new "Frogotten". Some enemies will also gain buffs in the Shallow Water, like having a chance for attacks to miss Frogs. The player moves slower in a pond, and their wetness meter goes all the way up to the top when in the biome. However, the player can craft a Boat using Boards to move faster, avoid wetness, and not take damage from the very powerful enemies. However, the boat has durability and can break while you're in the water, so be careful. The player can upgrade the boat with a steam engine, more boards to increase the size, etc. Things also can't catch fire in the Shallow Water. The Shallow Water is abundant with the various fish enemies mentioned before, and uncommonly has Saplings, Grass Tufts, Mosquitos, and Tentacles. It rarely has a Frogotten Village (only 1 is allowed in the whole biome)

Sea Monsters can appear in The Shallow Water as minibosses. Some will just act like regular bosses. Others might appear in the Ocean and require a ranged weapon to defeat. Some are amphibious and will climb onto the land, leaving a path of destruction behind it.

Alpha Frog

Alpha Frogs appear rarely from Frog Ponds. They have a little bit more health than regular Frogs, but they are slower. Their strength is their poison. When you are near an Alpha Frog, you start taking poison damage. The health bar turns green and you being losing health over time (Without stunning the character like an attack would). The poison deals 7 damage every 5 seconds and stays on the player for 15 seconds after they leave the "poison aura". The Alpha Frogs also appear anywhere near a Shallow Water biome. 

Wolfgang - Bad tasting meat with legs!
WX - IT WILL GIVE ME A MEMORY LEAK
Wickerbottom - It carries venom to discourage predation.
Woodie - I don't think they had these in Quebec.
Wes - (Has special pantomiming animation where he makes a "cutting throat" gesture)
Wigfrid - Poison cannot harm me!
Secret Character - I didn't give them that poison...

Bearoar

A combination of a Bear and a Boar. Appears in the Deciduous Forest, Graveyard, and Grasslands. Is tough, but drops meat. Attacks if you get too close to it. They appear in hunting packs of 2. It drops 4 Meat and 50% chance of dropping 1 Bearoar Skin. Bearoars will destroy beeboxes and hives.

Wilson - "I wonder if it tastes like bacon."
Willow - (Some kind of Smokey the Bear joke)
Wendy - "It has fallen to the horrible addiction of honey.
Wolfgang - "Ha! He thinks he is stronger than me."
WX - "IT IS EXCECUTING HONEY REMOVAL PROTOCOL"
Secret Character - "Destruction is fun."

Baby Bearoar

Baby Bearoars spawn differently from Baby Beefalos. Instead of having any sort of season to mate, Bearoars just mate whenever they feel like it to produce a Baby Bearoar. Baby Bearoars drop 2 morsels, give 1 naughtiness when killed, and have the same AI as baby beefalos.

Wilson "SO CUTE SO CUTE SO CUTE!"
Willow - "Stupid bear-thing! I wanna pet the baby!
Wendy - "It doesn't know it will grow up to be slaughtered."
Wolfgang - "Is cute!"
Woodie - "I used to see polar bears all the time in my igloo, swimming in my massive vat of maple syrup."
Secret Character - "I should murder it."

Fat Bearoar

A Fat Bearoar is a Bearoar that has been in the game for a very long time and has grown. They have much better stats than the Bearoar, but now they drop twice as much Meat. They are also more aggressive. They have better sight than Bearoars, and thus will always attack you first, before you can even see them. They always drop 1 Bearoar Skin. Fat Bearoars will destroy beeboxes and hives. Unlike the Bearoars which hunt in groups of two, a Fat Bearoar will usually be on its own.

Wilson - "Must... feed..."
Willow - "Blubber burns well."
Wolfgang - "He is too fat to be mighty."
WX - "900 ZETTABYTE HARDDRIVE OF FAT"
Wickerbottom - "It has overfed, most likely to hibernate in the winter."
Woodie - "They got fat all the time, too. Mostly from all the maple syrup."
Secret Character - "What a fat oaf."

Bearoar Skin

Bearoar Skin has two uses. 

1. It can be used as a substitute for 3 Silk in some recipes. This includes:

-Puffy Vest

-Breezy Vest

-Winter Hat

-Tent

-Piggyback

The item may have a different look about it if it is constructed with Bearoar Skin. For example, a Tent could take on a more rugged look, or the Winter Hat could be brown.

2. Bearoar Skin is required for the recipe in every type of leather and fur armor.

Sabre-toothed Catcoon

The Sabre-Toothed Catcoon is a stronger variant of the Catcoon. It has around 1.5x the health and damage of the Catcoon. They cannot be tamed, however. Unlike Catcoons, they appear in areas other than the Deciduous Forest. They are faster than the player and can leap like Spider Warriors. They will often compete with the player to kill rabbits, birds, etc. They attack the player on sight and appear in Savannas, Deciduous Forests, Forests (Destroying any spider nest), and Graveyards. They become more common as days pass. They drop 2 Meat and 1 Sabretooth Pelt.

Wolfgang - "Kitty cat!"
Wickerbottom - "A predatory feline."
Wigfrid - "Reminds me of myself."
Secret Character - "Easy, tiger."

Pelts and Skins

There would be a huge revamp to armor now.

First of all, the already existing Grass and Log suits would be severely nerfed, to make the new armor more desirable. I'm thinking Grass Suits would only protect 17.5% and Log Suits would only protect 40%. 

Now, the way this would work is: There are 4 different "levels" of skin and pelts. The more dangerous the mob, the higher level the pelt or skin. They can be used to make different tiers of armor, gloves, and boots. 

Level 1 protects around 35%. 

Level 2 protects around 55%.

Level 3 protects around 80%. 

Level 4 protects around 80% and causes ranged attacks to bounce off it, possibly hitting the person who shot it.

Level 1 skin would be called "Soft Skin"

Level 2 skin would be called "Soft Chitin"

Level 3 skin would be called "Tough Skin"

Level 4 skin would be called "Tough Chitin"

The Pig Skin and the Bearoar Skin would be completely seperate from the other skins and pelts.

Now, for the actual method of making these leather armors, I'm not sure. I've come down to three methods:

-Have Levels 1 and 2 constructed at a Science Machine, and levels 3 and 4 constructed at an Alchemy Engine.

-Have a new kind of science machine, a Leathermaker, to construct the armor at.

-Make it so that you have to dry the leather on a Drying Rack, then build it at the appropriate machine.

Gorchilla

A Gorchilla is a combination Chinchilla and Gorilla. They are about up to the players waist, and moderately dangerous. They are neutral. They drop 2 Morsels and a Soft Skin. They can appear pretty much in any biome. It has "Baby" and "Alpha" variants. Regulars and Alphas are rarely found together, but babies always stay near a higher-level Gorchilla, like with Beefalos.

Wilson - How could that thing be dangerous?
Wolfgang - Is look like my uncle!
WX - EVEN MORE DISGUSTING
Wickerbottom - Rodent genes spliced with primate genes. How odd.
Secret Character - It's still a foolish beast.

Soft Skin

As said above, Soft Skin can be refined into Level 1 Leather and is gained from Gorchillas.

Wilson - This can't be the best leather out there!
Willow - Oooh. Leather burns, right?
Wolfgang - Is puny.
WX - BADLY CONSTRUCTED CHASSIS

Gorchilla Chestplate

The Gorchilla Chestplate is crafted with 2 Rope, 1 Bearoar Skin, and 1 Level 1 Leather. It protects for 25% damage.

Crab

Crabs are also up to the waist of the player, but much more dangerous, and attack on sight. A mid-level gear player (Football helmet, tentacle spike, log suit) will probably be able to deal with them okay, or if you have a ranged attack you can pick a Crab off with it. When killed it drops 1 Soft Chitin and 2 Meat. 

Wilson - Those pincers look sharp!
Wendy - It hides from existence in a shell.
Wolfgang - Is pinchy!
WX - IT DOESN'T LOOK LIKE A MEATBAG
Secret Character - Horrible fashion sense.

Most of these seem unnecessary or overpowered or both (at least to me).

But the idea of Beefalo or similar creatures dropping bone seems good, it would make bone a renewable resource.

I'm not sure about your numbers but still it is worth merit.

Bone

The Bone is a new item dropped from any mob big enough to bear full-size Meat. It appears "in place" of meat sometimes in groups of two. This means that, say, Tallbirds will sometimes drop 2 meat, 1 meat and 2 bones, or 4 bones. The drops from a mob could be determined beforehand, too. Mobs with more meat dropped take much less damage, but mobs with more bones dropped do a little bit more damage. Bones are usable as a last-ditch food source giving +10 hunger but having a chance for the player to choke and lose 20 health. More commonly, Bones are used in crafting recipes of all tiers. 

It would make bone a renewable resource.

Ah, I had forgotten that there were already bones in RoG.

Well, these would be seperate from those bones. The other bones could be renamed to "Fossils" or whatever.

And yeah, I kinda got carried away with the Wildcard Gem stuff. I've edited the OP to add some things to balance out the new content.

I, um, don't really know what to make of most of this. The whole 'gem' thing is something I'm not really into anyway - it's fun for messing around in tier'ing, but I'll be damned if it's at all necessary. So, yeah, retaining my opinion on the whole rainbow prism gem thing. 

The water biome is interesting. I like the idea, but it does stomp into RPG grounds in the sense that there's no purpose to go there besides beating the **** out of stuff [and getting some sweet XP'z!]. It's a neat idea though and could be made terrifying if done properly. Err, do you want it to be terrifying? What exactly is your intention with the biome?

Spier Tier stuff is interesting but is a bit out of place. Like, it's cool to have Spear Tiers for the sake of scaling dps, but you're really meant to go to other weapons (tiers) to get scaling and not stick with the same weapon all game (which is practically the case anyway as it is). From that perspective, one might find just a bit too much Spear in Don't Starve.

Otherwise, the concept is perfectly logical. I wouldn't mind these changes personally - like addons to weapons that makes them stronger/more durable - but most people would probably find it too complicated to remember. 

-------------------------------

I love the berry bushes idea :3 I really want berry bushes now. 

I, um, don't really know what to make of most of this. The whole 'gem' thing is something I'm not really into anyway - it's fun for messing around in tier'ing, but I'll be damned if it's at all necessary. So, yeah, retaining my opinion on the whole rainbow prism gem thing. 

The water biome is interesting. I like the idea, but it does stomp into RPG grounds in the sense that there's no purpose to go there besides beating the **** out of stuff [and getting some sweet XP'z!]. It's a neat idea though and could be made terrifying if done properly. Err, do you want it to be terrifying? What exactly is your intention with the biome?

Spier Tier stuff is interesting but is a bit out of place. Like, it's cool to have Spear Tiers for the sake of scaling dps, but you're really meant to go to other weapons (tiers) to get scaling and not stick with the same weapon all game (which is practically the case anyway as it is). From that perspective, one might find just a bit too much Spear in Don't Starve.

Otherwise, the concept is perfectly logical. I wouldn't mind these changes personally - like addons to weapons that makes them stronger/more durable - but most people would probably find it too complicated to remember. 

-------------------------------

I love the berry bushes idea :3 I really want berry bushes now. 

Yeah, I went too far with the wildcard gem thing. I had just gotten off a match of Troll Tribes with a few friends, and the game had an item similar to the Wildcard Gem. So I guess I wasn't off of my "high" yet. I'll remove the Wildcard Gem stuff next update I do to the OP.

The water biome will have a purpose. Like I said, the thread is constantly updated, so I will provide some more info on it such as monsters, what they drop, etc. The point of the water biome is to be a "difficult but rewarding" biome. There will be many hazards such as pirhanas, tides, etc. But on the other hand, there's plenty of food. You can use the Fishing Rod at any point since it's all water, and most hostile creatures will drop good food. There's also the whole "Frogotten" thing that I didn't really expand on, which will work as a way to provide a more "alive" NPC village. The purpose of the biome as a whole, though, is to provide water-based content without imbalancing the whole thing. And also because maps could contain "canals", long sections of Shallow Water to place a boat and travel to other islands. 

You won't be "sticking with the same weapon all game". Currently there are weapons four tiers above even the Volt Goat Horn spear (Tentacle spike, hambat, thuly club, dark sword). I also don't see how it would be complicated to remember. It still says the crafting recipe right there. Unless you meant something else that I don't get. 

I'm not too much of a fan of the bone thing to be frank. If anything, I'd rather have them be identical to the bone shards we already have, so those will be a renewable resource. Bone and Volt horn spear sound reasonable, but I always liked that there aren't too too many different weapons in Don't Starve, and that almost all of them are special in some way. The shallow water idea is interesting. I'll wait for updates to the post to see where you're going with that.

I'm not too much of a fan of the bone thing to be frank. If anything, I'd rather have them be identical to the bone shards we already have, so those will be a renewable resource. Bone and Volt horn spear sound reasonable, but I always liked that there aren't too too many different weapons in Don't Starve, and that almost all of them are special in some way. The shallow water idea is interesting. I'll wait for updates to the post to see where you're going with that.

How about you can refine bones into bone shards?

The Volt horn just got a new feature added to it to make it unique. You should go look at it.

Well you can see my little "roadmap" for the shallow water idea in the above post, so go check that out while I think up things for it.

What did you think about the new Bearoars?

How about you can refine bones into bone shards?

The Volt horn just got a new feature added to it to make it unique. You should go look at it.

Well you can see my little "roadmap" for the shallow water idea in the above post, so go check that out while I think up things for it.

What did you think about the new Bearoars?

Oh, I forgot about the bearoars. I really like that idea, though I'm not sold on the name (but I can't think of a better one, so there you go). They should be able to raid your beeboxes and natural occuring beehives aswell.

Having the bones be refinable sounds good, yeah. Thinking about it some more, I guess there IS a difference between a fresh bone and an old, dried out fragment.

Volt Spear sounds good like that, yes. Makes a lot of sense too.

And having little rivers in the world was always a bit of a desire of me, so that's a good plan. (I hope that they're going to do more on and across the sea in this game anyways.)

And we've got the biggest addition so far, a complete rehaul of the armor system. In short, the Grass and Log suits have been greatly nerfed. Now players will have to hunt various levels of leather from mobs in order to get more powerful armor. I am not sure how one would go about making the armor, so please read the full thing and decide which one of my choices you would prefer.

Archived