Reasons to Use Pitchfork and Change Turf

Other than purely aesthetic reasons, there is no point to put turf down at your base. I feel like it would be so much cooler and entertaining if it had some greater value. Here are some of my and other's suggestions from this site and others.

- Stuff doesn't get as wet or dries faster when on certain types of turf, such as marble, wooden, or carpeted flooring. I dunno how realistic that is considering there aren't roofs but at least it gives it some use.

- Provides extremely minor passive sanity boost (possibly only during night). I dunno about you guys, but being able to not have to sleep or work in dirt or grass would make my mind rest a little bit easier, if only a very little. The amount of sanity boost could be dependent on the type. Like marble used to be the rarest, so it would have the strongest effect. It would have to also only take effect when you were standing on it, so that several of them don't overlap and make it overpowered. My personal favorite.

- Digging creatures cannot dig through the ground on certain types of turf, such as marble, wooden, or carpeted. More realistic way to keep digging creatures as pets/for farming. I like marble to make it not super easy and also its seams realistic to be too hard to dig through.

- With the addition of being able to move swamp turf and reeds, you could move reeds to (only) transplanted swamp biomes and make them more easily farm-able. Gives a great reason to build the pitchfork.

- Cobblestones could make you move faster. That way you could build your own roads. They'd sort of look weird being so thick and angular, but if you changed the average turf piece size down to what it looks like in the natural landscape, roughly 1/4 the size, then the roads would look a lot more like the natural ones. I like this idea, too, but it seems like a lot of work for the designers.

- Some kind of rare, expensive turf (maybe retooling marble or carpet?) that provides some good passive bonus while over, such as slight sanity gains, less hunger lost to time, things don't get too overheated on (marble), one that acts as a very low level of warm clothing (carpet),  or one that campfires built on it last slightly longer. Take your pick or make your own.

Anyone else have any other ideas?

Ive actually had the thought of certain floorings giving a small sanity boost not too long ago, and id say wooden flooring should give enough sanity to stop nighttime's sanity drain.

But with the increase of chess piece sets, carpeted and marble flooring have become alot easier to get, so im not sure how they would balance those.

"Finished" flooring does provide one benefit (aside from cobblestone speed boost) - it stops lureplant minions from spawning.  You can plant the bulb itself on the material, but the minions will not spawn on wood, marble, or carpet.  But they'll spawn outside it as long as some natural turf is in range of the main bulb.    I've been experimenting with using this to incorporate lureplants into my hound defenses effectively.  Seems promising so far (but not in winter sadly), but I haven't had a summer hound wave in that spot since my last wall revision to try to keep the main bulb from catching fire, which is the main problem.  And you could lose the drops so I don't use it as my main defense.  But it's a backup.

As for replanting reeds on swamp, right now reeds are one of the few things that force players to at least glimpse a swamp once in awhile.  So I think they're fine how they are and seriously doubt Klei will change that.  Although I think it would be ok to be able to transplant reeds if you could not transplant swamp tiles.  

Archived