Just Started, and bees?

Okay, just started playing DS: RoG, and the moment I started a red bee came out of a normal beehive...thought it was a coloring mistake till the thing landed on a flower then attacked me.

Just wondering if that's suppose to happen, because wasn't expecting angry be when first starting playing the beta.

Welcome!  Yeah, the red bee thing threw me too (plenty of traumatic experiences with red killer bees!).  In spring, they are now red to indicate that they're territorial (so they'll attack if you get too close). But you can catch them and they become regular yellow bees in your inventory for crafting purposes.

Discussion here: http://forums.kleientertainment.com/topic/32359-killer-bees-spawning-in-place-of-bumblebees-in-spring-pollinating-flowers/

Okay, just started playing DS: RoG, and the moment I started a red bee came out of a normal beehive...thought it was a coloring mistake till the thing landed on a flower then attacked me.

Just wondering if that's suppose to happen, because wasn't expecting angry be when first starting playing the beta.

All bees get "angry" during Spring (though they don't strictly speaking become killer bees, since their behaviour is different, and if you catch an "angry" bee you'll see it's just a regular bee). The default map setting is to randomly start in either Autumn or Spring, so you just started in the latter.

Welcome!  Yeah, the red bee thing threw me too (plenty of traumatic experiences with red killer bees!).  In spring, they are now red to indicate that they're territorial (so they'll attack if you get too close). But you can catch them and they become regular yellow bees in your inventory for crafting purposes.

Discussion here: http://forums.kleientertainment.com/topic/32359-killer-bees-spawning-in-place-of-bumblebees-in-spring-pollinating-flowers/

Ah, thanks, that makes sense, I normally hate killer bees, so it surprised me to see a red bee appear out of a normal bee hive. Good thing that it's only in Spring and not all the time, and now I know it's done on purpose. (Now, I hope I don't get killed too soonXS The DLC looks a lot harder then the normally game~)

Do they change to killer bees if they are from player made bee houses too?

Yes. It's best to build bee boxes a bit further away from camp now. But not so far away, since you need some proximity for them to actually work (otherwise the bees' AI "sleeps").

Of course this is also an issue regarding smoldering, since building them farther requires an additional flingomatic, and honeycombs are a finite resource...

Yes. It's best to build bee boxes a bit further away from camp now. But not so far away, since you need some proximity for them to actually work (otherwise the bees' AI "sleeps").

Of course this is also an issue regarding smoldering, since building them farther requires an additional flingomatic, and honeycombs are a finite resource...

GREAT!

They nerfed them to oblivion!

Where am I gonna get all the food now... why...

GREAT!

They nerfed them to oblivion!

Where am I gonna get all the food now... why...

I'm torn about this. On one hand, I truly like that bee boxes have been nerfed in an interesting way. On the other hand, the idea of non-renewable resources being wasted by summer fires really bothers me. I need to tinker with it a bit more to see how it plays out in the long run.

Not the beeeees!!!

Sorry I had to...^ ^ back to topc

Actually the first thing I experienced the smoldering on was my, newly built, first beebox in RoG...I was, one could say, not amused.

In combination with the Springbee Mechanic this gives me a kick in the butt for my beekeeping duties...

Now I want a Bee(pa)cifier...

I'm not against changing the beeboxes because they were kinda only pro but now....well

One upside of the new bee behavior, put them by frog ponds.  In the spring you won't really need another source of food.  You can also put some pig houses for extra fun, at least for now (they don't eat frog legs off the ground for some reason) but they will eat the honey.

Archived