Kevin on Character Balance 27 June 2013, Just a Reminder

G4MR

Guys, keep in mind that we're not trying to balance the characters *against* each other. We're trying to provide varied gameplay experiences, and to cater to different playstyles with the cast.Wilson is the default tuning for Don't Starve - that's why we didn't change him at all. Other characters will be harder or easier depending upon the situation that you find yourself in, and how you play. Wes, for example, is harder, and is meant to appeal to people who want a bigger challenge and the ensuing bragging rights. Wickerbottom is probably easier, if you are an advanced player and know how to find book materials and mitigate the sanity loss from using them.You can say that a character is OP if they are too powerful and make playing the game unfun. For example, a character that spawned with the dev tool would be OP. But it's not really valid to say that a character is OP because you can survive longer with them than with another character. They're just... different. 

After reading some of the discussion in this thread regarding Pyro, I thought I'd let the new/old users see Klei's stance on character "balance".  Hope they don't change that opinion.

ps: the quoting functionality on these forums make me very angry >.<

pss: took me a while to find that quote >.<

Source

Challenge is supposed to be how you make your map not the characters. Balance for me is important. One game almost got goofed due to bad balance until something was changed.

You must be new here. If we're talking about balancing the map, RoG will be balanced before it gets released.  As for character 'balance':

But it's not really valid to say that a character is OP because you can survive longer with them than with another character. They're just... different. 

Certain characters have skill gaps and others don't.  There's no real balance, people considered wilson "op" for the longest time because he can make meat effigy's on the fly or can survive winter better because of his beard.  Then others thought woodie was "op", but you need to know your niche well enough to play a character like woodie because of his sanity mechanic.  Then you get to wes who is a glass cannon w/out the cannon.  Yet only the vets of the game can play him at his full potential.  Every character is pretty balanced around how good you are at the game, it's like going from easy to hard mode in most games.  This is just a different way of klei implementing that system in a wide variety of ways & difficulties.

That was...

Now I have changed my mind about Wx-78.

(Not 100%, but you know... He is easy mode, just as Wes is hard mode :-))

Honestly as long as you can get the gear parts to get above average health it becomes pretty easy.

I'm at day 10 and have eaten about 10 gears at this point and i have over 200 HP and most things honestly isn't that challenging any more 

Honestly as long as you can get the gear parts to get above average health it becomes pretty easy.

I'm at day 10 and have eaten about 10 gears at this point and i have over 200 HP and most things honestly isn't that challenging any more

As I said, easy mode. Perfect for beginners...wait. No, because he is the fifth character unlockable, so beginners are supposed to have at least a bit of knowledge= they are no more new players= Wx-78 is too easy.

:/

As I said, easy mode. Perfect for beginners...wait. No, because he is the fifth character unlockable, so beginners are supposed to have at least a bit of knowledge= they are no more new players= Wx-78 is too easy.

:/

Personally think that he is still one of the harder characters, atleast if you have the DLC as well, Spring is brutal if you don't have an umbrella or a rain proof costume piece as WX-87.

I play characters for their looks and dialogue (except

Maxwell
Im sorry i just can't get over his lack of health, I'd rather play Wes over him anyday) so balance doesn't matter much to me :p

You must be new here. If we're talking about balancing the map, RoG will be balanced before it gets released.  As for character 'balance':

But it's not really valid to say that a character is OP because you can survive longer with them than with another character. They're just... different. 

Certain characters have skill gaps and others don't.  There's no real balance, people considered wilson "op" for the longest time because he can make meat effigy's on the fly or can survive winter better because of his beard.  Then others thought woodie was "op", but you need to know your niche well enough to play a character like woodie because of his sanity mechanic.  Then you get to wes who is a glass cannon w/out the cannon.  Yet only the vets of the game can play him at his full potential.  Every character is pretty balanced around how good you are at the game, it's like going from easy to hard mode in most games.  This is just a different way of klei implementing that system in a wide variety of ways & difficulties.

Now that you mention it; they are balanced (quite). Wait, what specialties does Wes have? I don't know what his balloons can do.

Now that you mention it; they are balanced (quite). Wait, what specialties does Wes have? I don't know what his balloons can do.

He doesn't have any specialties, just 75 everything. hp/sanity/hunger

Archived