Overheating

What do we know for sure about overheating? I just a few days into my first summer, and the only thing I've figured out is that endotherimic fires keep you cool, as does eating ice. I've seen some speculation about parasols/umbrellas keeping the sun off and insulating clothes making you warmer, but not anything definite.

Also, I start overheating in the caves too. Aren't they supposed to have a moderate temperature year-round?

EDIT: Ok, somehow I couldn't find the wiki article on overheating when I searched, but I came across it through another page. So no signs that exertion (running/fighting/tool use) or wearing insulating clothes increases your temperature.

Parasols and umbrellas aren't speculation, they're confirmed.  I also tested with warm clothing and did not overheat any faster.  There is also an ice cube hat to cool you down.

You can also stick a heat stone in the fridge to get it frozen, and it will cool you down in its two coldest states: frozen and cold.

ETA: And they changed the caves so you can't escape everything by camping out in them.  I think I saw code that showed that they were still less hot/less cold than the surface, but I can't say that's the case for sure.

So far from what I've seen the parasol and ice hat are plenty.  I'm still on my first ice hat halfway through summer.   You just have to make sure to remove them when you don't need them.   I haven't even had to repair it with the sewing kit yet - I'm trying not to since I'm hoping that gets removed as an option pretty soon.  There's more than enough ice in winter to prepare enough ice hats for the whole summer.   If you start in spring, well, hope you have a nice size stone biome.  

Overall summer isn't actually not as bad as I'd feared.  The worst part is the spontaneous combustion of environment, but even that has not been as huge a problem so far as I'd thought it would be from reading everyones comments.  That said, I am only half way through my first summer so far...

It's worth noting als0 that the flingomatic will re-hydrate withered plants.  That was a nice surprise.

And ya, the caves thing is for balance since RoG is so weather focused.  It'd be kind of nice if there was a reason given though - like lava or steam geyers opening up during summer....I guess underground glaciers in winter?

So far from what I've seen the parasol and ice hat are plenty.  I'm still on my first ice hat halfway through summer.   You just have to make sure to remove them when you don't need them.   I haven't even had to repair it with the sewing kit yet - I'm trying not to since I'm hoping that gets removed as an option pretty soon.  There's more than enough ice in winter to prepare enough ice hats for the whole summer.   If you start in spring, well, hope you have a nice size stone biome.  

Overall summer isn't actually not as bad as I'd feared.  The worst part is the spontaneous combustion of environment, but even that has not been as huge a problem so far as I'd thought it would be from reading everyones comments.  That said, I am only half way through my first summer so far...

It's worth noting als0 that the flingomatic will re-hydrate withered plants.  That was a nice surprise.

And ya, the caves thing is for balance since RoG is so weather focused.  It'd be kind of nice if there was a reason given though - like lava or steam geyers opening up during summer....I guess underground glaciers in winter?

The ice hat alone is enough to protect you since it actually cools you down, whereas the parasol just delays overheating.

I had wondered what the "protects plants" thing with the ice flingulator meant.  I just figured they meant plants would be extinguished if they caught on fire, but was confused as to why they would single out plants in that manner, but this explains it.  Also you can heal withered plants using fertilizer.

Ya, it'll do like 4 or more in one shot if they're close enough.  It's area of effect I guess. 

And ya, you're right on the ice hat.  That's a big difference from winter - in winter once you run out of body warm, you need a fire.   But in summer, once you start to overheat, you have a peace of clothing that will cool you down.   Allows you to get more done, I feel like.   Which is good since rabbits are in overdrive in summer!  

I usually wear the parasol until I start to overheat, put on the cube a bit, back to parasol.  Seems to work ok.  I think after I go through a winter and have a whole icebox of never-melting ice, I'll probably just go ice hat.

Archived