New Suggestion: Chaga

Chaga is a black mushroom which grows on many deciduous trees, especially birch. Considering the visual similarity of Don't Starve: Reign of Giants DLC's deciduous trees to that of birch trees, I think a new mushroom should be considered. Many people say that Chaga has medicinal values, meaning that it would probably have low hunger values, but higher health, and low-to-neutral sanity values (similar but a bit different to the blue mushroom). Of course, the values could be changed. Chaga grows only on older trees, meaning that in Don't Starve it should only apply to largest tier deciduous. Once the tree matures, a random time will go by before the chaga grows. In real live, the mushroom starts of small and grows, so this would probably need some stages. There would need to be a stage where you can see the chaga, but it cannot be harvested. Then there would need to be possibly two to three stages, each wielding a different amount of the fungus. Irl, chaga takes a while to regrow, so a tree would only become mature around once a year. In Don't Starve, the 'shroom would need to be cut with something sharp, not like other mushrooms. This would probably just be a razor, but maybe something else would work like a weapon or a new item. If you like this, tell your ideas for how this could be changed! Thanks!

I like the idea of the razor having another purpose. Although, I am curious how it would work with a tree, would you have to "shave" (ill use that verb atm) the Chaga off before cutting down the tree, or if you chop down the tree can you collect the Chaga. Can there be a choice, such as: 1) chop down tree to collect Chaga, or 2) "shave" tree to harvest only Chaga. 

Archived