Season rain/snow/wet mechanic...your thoughts?

I would say this would be the best way to survive Spring from day 1.

Your thoughts?

1. I always do that, perhaps not the petals but since the DLC my worlds got uglier 

2. Take the hat from me and I will cry

3. Jup

4. Check, although I mostly rely on hammering down the pighead poles

5. Obviously

I would say that is a reliable tactic. With a bit luck the ''standing under a tree reduces soaking* suggestion will be built in and then we will see a buddy tree in many bases.

At the moment this mirrors my approach on a Spring start very well

1. I always do that, perhaps not the petals but since the DLC my worlds got uglier 

2. Take the hat from me and I will cry

3. Jup

4. Check, although I mostly rely on hammering down the pighead poles

5. Obviously

I would say that is a reliable tactic. With a bit luck the ''standing under a tree reduces soaking* suggestion will be built in and then we will see a buddy tree in many bases.

At the moment this mirrors my approach on a Spring start very well

Lol the funny thing is, when I played the DLC for the first time and saw the 'soak' meter filling during a rain storm, I immediately ran for the nearest tree :-)

I would say a fully grown tree should provide any effect of reducing soaking. Otherwise it will become too easy to run up to any old tree and reap the benefits. A way to make things harder would be to introduce a new/current monster to hide in trees...maybe the splumonkeys? Standing under a tree for a long time spawns one.

This game should change the name because of RoG... Don't Stave ---> Don't Get Wet... Managing wetmeter is Too important now... It is almost impossible to go out for hunting Mac Tusk because I should stay all days and nights around fire. Rain or snow is more scary than Deerclops. Rain and snow consume all my precious foods and logs. 

This game should change the name because of RoG... Don't Stave ---> Don't Get Wet... Managing wetmeter is Too important now... It is almost impossible to go out for hunting Mac Tusk because I should stay all days and nights around fire. Rain or snow is more scary than Deerclops. Rain and snow consume all my precious foods and logs. 

It's true things have heated up in this DLC. But how many people said Winter was impossible to survive? Loads! 

As long as you can get a straw hat and pretty parasol asap you should be good to go. Read my OP, I explain an effective way to get 100% soak protection. It took me literally 4-5 days in game. As long as you keep important resources on you at all times dealing with the soak meter is a piece of cake in Don't Starve.

Yum.....cake..... :-)

It's true things have heated up in this DLC. But how many people said Winter was impossible to survive? Loads! 

As long as you can get a straw hat and pretty parasol asap you should be good to go. Read my OP, I explain an effective way to get 100% soak protection. It took me literally 4-5 days in game. As long as you keep important resources on you at all times dealing with the soak meter is a piece of cake in Don't Starve.

Yum.....cake..... :-)

I don't say it is impossible to survive although I have many difficuties... It is difficult to explore world and enjoy Mac Tusk hunting... Frequent snow constraints my behaviors too much in winter. I think difficulty of DS shouldn't rely on wetmeter too much... I want to have more threats rather than brutal precipitation. I like wet machanism but some changes are needed. Drying time should be shortened and some items shouldn't be wet.

I don't say it is impossible to survive although I have many difficuties... It is difficult to explore world and enjoy Mac Tusk hunting... Frequent snow constraints my behaviors too much in winter. I think difficulty of DS shouldn't rely on wetmeter too much... I want to have more threats rather than brutal precipitation. I like wet machanism but some changes are needed. Drying time should be shortened and some items shouldn't be wet.

Interesting. I think a minor tweak could be that items in your backpack don't get wet. 

Edit: Or we can make a new water proof backpack with say 4 slots or it requires harder to get materials for a 6 slot.

Edit : Or we can upgrade our back pack by using it as a resource to make a more water proof/improved back pack, with 10 slots? Call it the Rucksack :)

Interesting. I think a minor tweak could be that items in your backpack don't get wet. 

Edit: Or we can make a new water proof backpack with say 4 slots or it requires harder to get materials for a 6 slot.

Edit : Or we can upgrade our back pack by using it as a resource to make a more water proof/improved back pack, with 10 slots? Call it the Rucksack :-)

Would be a start

Edit1: Lets wrap it in tentacle spots (since they seem to be waterproof, eh?...brrrrr)

Edit2: Hey, could it be you're making fun of the german language in any sort...Rucksack....are we known for being waterproof or what ^ ^

It is difficult to explore world and enjoy Mac Tusk hunting...

This is currently true but the devs have said in a few threads they're going to be tuning the heat stone, and at least once I'm pretty sure they said they're going to work on the drying out mechnic.  And we'll get Koalefants back - they'll be more difficult/dangerous to get, but they'll be back.

Honestly the getting wet wouldn't be so bad if there were *logical* ways to dry out, such as standing by a fire, putting your clothes on the ground by the fire (but only if the ground is marble or stone or something hard), or hanging your clothes on a drying rack, preferably near a fire.  It kind of shocks me that they didn't implement the drying rack from the get go.  It doesn't even require any new animations.  Just the current clothes graphics handing there.   Instead what we have right now is the completely counter-intuitive method of sticking sopping wet clothes in a chest.  Try that in real life and see what you get.  The problem is compounded for the backpack because you cannot put it in a chest.

To go along with this problem, currently the wet mechanic of clothes is VERY opaque.  Unfortunately I don't think clothes are currently tracked for wetness individually, I think it's all based on the player's own wetness, possibly.  Or some kind of timer.  They REALLY need to put a graphic indicator of some kind for clothes so that players can at least see progress (or lack thereof) in drying.    The most frustrating thing right now for someone new to these mechanics is not being able to tell what's going on or how to fix it.  Sure, once we've looked at the game files and found out what clothes provide what benefits and what are immune to wetness we can survive, but that's not really how the game should be designed, imo.

Would be a start

Edit1: Lets wrap it in tentacle spots (since they seem to be waterproof, eh?...brrrrr)

Edit2: Hey, could it be you're making fun of the german language in any sort...Rucksack....are we known for being waterproof or what ^ ^

http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=rucksack&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=RcwUU4edOKzQ7AbE7YG4BA&ved=0CE4QsAQ&biw=640&bih=287

This is currently true but the devs have said in a few threads they're going to be tuning the heat stone, and at least once I'm pretty sure they said they're going to work on the drying out mechnic.  And we'll get Koalefants back - they'll be more difficult/dangerous to get, but they'll be back.

Honestly the getting wet wouldn't be so bad if there were *logical* ways to dry out, such as standing by a fire, putting your clothes on the ground by the fire (but only if the ground is marble or stone or something hard), or hanging your clothes on a drying rack, preferably near a fire.  It kind of shocks me that they didn't implement the drying rack from the get go.  It doesn't even require any new animations.  Just the current clothes graphics handing there.   Instead what we have right now is the completely counter-intuitive method of sticking sopping wet clothes in a chest.  Try that in real life and see what you get.  The problem is compounded for the backpack because you cannot put it in a chest.

To go along with this problem, currently the wet mechanic of clothes is VERY opaque.  Unfortunately I don't think clothes are currently tracked for wetness individually, I think it's all based on the player's own wetness, possibly.  Or some kind of timer.  They REALLY need to put a graphic indicator of some kind for clothes so that players can at least see progress (or lack thereof) in drying.    The most frustrating thing right now for someone new to these mechanics is not being able to tell what's going on or how to fix it.  Sure, once we've looked at the game files and found out what clothes provide what benefits and what are immune to wetness we can survive, but that's not really how the game should be designed, imo.

What if the Koalefants we know are actually babies, hence why they are so afraid of us.....What if there is a parent version of the Koalefant...Oh my. must set the one I have free. http://steamcommunity.com//sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=234599415

Oh wait no I don't. RoG doesn't affect saves files made before installing the DLC...muahahhaha!

That image is very interesting. I would love to see something like this added. I wonder if it is this Klei are referring to when they say Koelefants will be back but more dangerous?

I thinhk that has to do with the warg...somewhere in the files there is the option of instead finding a koalefant at the end of the track there can be the warg. Probably a hostile mob.

Read here http://forums.kleientertainment.com/topic/31985-no-koalefant/

I thinhk that has to do with the warg...somewhere in the files there is the option of instead finding a koalefant at the end of the track there can be the warg. Probably a hostile mob.

Interesting. I try to avoid threads where people even whisper anything they find buried in the 'files'. At least until I have experienced it for myself.

No no! It got me even more excited for 'what it could be?'

So thanks for sharing :-)

Oh, ok.

I hate it to be spoiled unasked so if I would spoil someone who doesn't want to be spoiled....oi that spoils me....but being a tiny spark of information  that I can live with ^^

Oh, ok.

I hate it to be spoiled unasked so if I would spoil someone who doesn't want to be spoiled....oi that spoils me....but being a tiny spark of information that I can live with ^^

Yep it was such a tiny spark it gave me a little shock :)

Edit: Btw, I see you post art around the forum. Do you make them? If so they are very good.

Yep it was such a tiny spark it gave me a little shock :-)

Edit: Btw, I see you post art around the forum. Do you make them? If so they are very good.

bzzzt ^ ^

Thank you very much. I'm indeed responsible for posting and manufacturing said productions of artificial nature.

I've seen similar comments by the devs - the heat stone is definitely a bug that should get fixed.  For the heck of it, I tried chest-drying the stone to see if that helped it heat up, but no dice.  The clothes I think are supposed to dry out by a fire, but I read someplace that they're taking their wetness level from the environment rather than from the character.  I suspect that chest-drying works because it isolates the item from the (wet) environment. 

I just hit winter and the base mechanics like wearing warm clothing, using a heat stone, and warming up by a fire are broken because of the need for tuning - wet hat that never dries = freeze quickly, wet backpack that never dries (can't put it in a chest) = constant sanity loss, and broken heat stone means you're camped out by the fire constantly to stay warm.  I realized I kept coming up short on wood a few days into winter when I normally am fine - I'm burning it all trying to dry out and stay warm. 

I also have never seen my soak meter go down, even with umbrella at a fire; and my sanity drops... because the umbrella is wet.  >_<.  The umbrella ought to be immune to wetness and sanity loss... since it's the only way to keep rain off you.

The Autumn giant doesn't seem to be a spawn/pathing monster like the Deerclops.

When tracking a Koalefant, when you get to the end of the trail, the console says "Worg trail failed" or something like that (A worg is a kind of magical wolf beast, just like the autumn giant in the teaser)

Even one of the Admins confirmed that there will be more things leaving the tracks than just Koalefants.

So I guess the only big threat in autumn is hunting a Koalefant, but you need to if you want to have a coat ready for the Winter. That seems like a big enough threat though, something that could possibly kill you for trying to get ready for Winter xD

The Autumn giant doesn't seem to be a spawn/pathing monster like the Deerclops.

When tracking a Koalefant, when you get to the end of the trail, the console says "Worg trail failed" or something like that (A worg is a kind of magical wolf beast, just like the autumn giant in the teaser)

Even one of the Admins confirmed that there will be more things leaving the tracks than just Koalefants.

So I guess the only big threat in autumn is hunting a Koalefant, but you need to if you want to have a coat ready for the Winter. That seems like a big enough threat though, something that could possibly kill you for trying to get ready for Winter xD

Truthfully you don't need a coat. As Wilson in winter I kept a fully grown beard and wore the winter hat during day time and camped near a fire at main base during dusk and night. I didn't once see any effects of freezing. So just saying hunting Koalefant isn't a must for surviving winter.

OH! wait I'll show you what I do when I go hunting. Give me a sec to put the link up.

Edit: http://steamcommunity.com/app/219740/discussions/0/540734792771412039/

Archived