Hardcore mod..?

There was at some point in the beta a really great mod called 'hardcore mode' or somesuch. I freaking love this game but with 100+ hrs of it you can get very used to the whole process and you lose that fun you had learning to survive. I know there are a ton of mods that really do add replayability but I have burned through most of them and I am looking to a good hardcore experience. 

Sure you can set the resources low and the threats high in the world generation but the reason why that older mod was so great is that it buffed all mobs- def and str, and it really brought back that fear of survival. Is anyone working on something like this or would be interested in doing something like that?

The problem is that there isn't a demand for mods that make games more difficult, if you look on Don't Starve workshop you'll find tons of mods designed to make the game easier but hardly any if any at all to make the game harder.

A while make _Q_ was working on a mod that would make the game harder (me and Teo were helping him with ideas) but sadly the idea got scrapped.

I have a mod character who has only 60 health, very low sanity, hunger drains really fast, and has his own hallucinations who he can attack and can attack before he's insane - and call all the other hallucinations to attack the player should you attack it. It also drains sanity when it hits you. It also spawns shadow hands during the night. I made it because I also find the game too easy. If enough people request it, I can release the character mod.

It's too much work, so you... expect someone else to do it for you? >_>;;;
Real smooth way to entice someone to make your mod...

It wouldn't be hard to do it yourself. Prefab post-inits should easily be able to boost those stats without much trouble.

Identify the monster's prefab, add the boosted stats in a post-init, and voila.

The best mods right now are trying to add new things to do to the game - or new ways to play.

Pickle It, for example - it adds the option of pickling food, and gives you new ways to store it, changing the way you might play the game. Perhaps being able to stop it spoiling so fast will encourage you to farm more vegetables, influencing your play style with a new mechanic.

Up & Away is adding a whole new world to the game!

As a modder, and as someone who enjoys the game, these are the kinds of things I like seeing. These are the things I want to work on. Simple tweaks, at this point in the development of the Don't Starve mod community... they just feel boring and primitive.

Not trying to shoot you down, or say "your mod is bad and you should feel bad..." it's just not the kind of thing that really interests people.

That's, just like, your opinion man.. But seriously, just because you don't think it's a good idea doesn't mean that other people will. You can take your snob and snark elsewhere, nobody cares. Anyway, I have messed around with modding Don't Starve in the past but it's not something I am interested in doing but I was mostly just asking if there was still a hardcore mod out there. Simple as that. 

And another thing, sometimes 'simple tweaks' may not seem like much but subtle changes to a game done right can add quite a lot to the gaming experience. 

Mr Tiddles, that character sounds cool, I would try it.

You can take your snob and snark elsewhere, nobody cares. 

You're saying that to someone giving you simple advice and who even pointed out a starting point so you could do the task yourself. You really need to learn how to stop being offended at random people on the internet just because they didnt immediately solve your problem for you. Dana was being kind enough to help (and has done so for many people), you on the other hand respond with immaturity. ....

Sue me, I don't respond well to passive aggression. 

I read no passive aggression. The post looked honest to me - and true. More people like mods that  make the game easier, or add completely new things to the game, more than a little mod making enemies do more damage. And saying that you could make the mod, but don't want to because it's too much work isn't all that great. If you'd said you wanted it done, but didn't know how, I probably would've made it myself. But if you know how but say it's too much work, it tells me you don't want it THAT much.

To pick this thread back up, I think a lot of people would like the game to keep getting harder. Hopefully reign of giants is partly an answer to that. Right now, Krampusnacht seems like the only popular mod that adds a serious new challenge.

A really cool mod would be a periodic ancient guardian attack, maybe once a summer to go with krampusnacht being once a winter. Maybe have a chance to spawn multiple guardians if it's past day 100 or something. This would obviously make thulecite renewable if he had the same drops, but would come with a steep challenge.

Another seemingly easy mod would be to let the hounds keep increasing in number, maybe up to 20?

I might look into this when I have some free time, since Krampusnacht makes it seem feasible.

Archived